• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Question about AAA team location
  • To:All
  • 2/4/13
  • anthony888

I'm not familiar with the process, but how is location determined for our AAA club?

Are there geographical restrictions?

Do you think a place like New Jersey would be a good place for our AAA club? Geez, if Buffalo cut it, I'd take NJ.

Vegas just seems like a different league.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd
There are 30 AAA teams that are preset, you can't just add a new team out of nowhere or switch a AAA team with a AA team, Vegas is a AAA there has to be a team there and the Mets lost the game of AAA musical chairs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • bbjmparis

We are taking over the Vegas franchise. Who ever had an agreement with them before is moving somewhere else, either taking over someone else, or starting a new team somewhere. It doesn't matter.

Anybody know what the ballpark effects are? The PCL used to have a rep for pumping up offensive numbers. HR's on checked swings, and 25-40 point higher BA's. This could lead to high expectations.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd

"We are taking over the Vegas franchise. Who ever had an agreement with them before is moving somewhere else, either taking over someone else, or starting a new team somewhere. It doesn't matter.

We swapped with Toronto who will now be in Buffalo.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • murphstates
PCL stats are still notoriously inflated.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 86mex17
With all of our signings,I thought it was in flushing
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • nym698641
We can not put a AAA team in New Jersey without the Yankees consent. That's why when we put the Cyclones in Brooklyn the Yankees put a team in Staten Island.
Last year when the Yankees wanted Scranton to play in Newark because the stadium was being refurbished in Scranton, the Mets wouldn't allow it.
So no way a AAA Mets team will be in New York unless the Yankees allow it, which the won't, or if the Yankees have one in New York also.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd
Vegas is a very hitter's friendly park even when compared to the rest of PCL which is a hitter's friendly league. The park is big which leads to doubles and triples, the wind blows out which leads to home runs and the air is dry which also leads to home runs and the ball traveling further as well as pitchers breaking balls not breaking as much.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd

"We can not put a AAA team in New Jersey without the Yankees consent. That's why when we put the Cyclones in Brooklyn the Yankees put a team in Staten Island."

Mets/Wilpons don't own a AAA team (insert joke here) so they can't move a AAA team anywhere.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • nym698641

Not the questions I was replying to.

The questions were

I'm not familiar with the process, but how is location determined for our AAA club?

Are there geographical restrictions?

Do you think a place like New Jersey would be a good place for our AAA club? Geez, if Buffalo cut it, I'd take NJ.

Vegas just seems like a different league.

The answer to the question is no team including the Mets can move a AAA team into Northern New Jersey because the Yankees or Mets, or Southern Jersey because the Phillies won't allow it. It would be easier in South Jersey because only the Phillies would have to approve it, but the Phillies would never let a Met or Yankee AAA team in South Jersey because they don't want their fans going to cheaper AAA games and becoming fans of teams other then the Phillies.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Kranesback
There's nothing to say you can't move a AAA franchise to a different city, just like you can move a major league team, but there are "territorial rights" (not the specific legal term but you get the idea), where you can't move a team within a certain distance of another team's minor league affiliate. In other words, we could move the las vegas team to someplace like Berlin or Bejing if we really wanted to.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd

"we could move the las vegas team to someplace like Berlin or Bejing if we really wanted to."

Mets don't own the Las Vegas 51's so they can't move them anywhere, just like they didn't own Buffalo, the owners can decide to move them if they want to but that is not up to the Mets.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 2/4/13
  • djiboutirox
should have stayed in norfolk
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Kranesback
That's what I meant...reading my post, I was not clear....I don't really know if a major league team can just start up it's own AAA team in a city with no competitive restrictions, but I don;t see why not. I'd like to see our AAA team in San Juan.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd

"I don't really know if a major league team can just start up it's own AAA team in a city with no competitive restrictions, but I don;t see why not. I'd like to see our AAA team in San Juan."

Because that is not how it works, there are 30 minor league teams a team can't just decide to start a new one, that would be like saying the Yankees want to start up a 31st major league team somewhere.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • MetObserver
If you want to move a team you must first own that team. Under those circumstances you most likely would be able to petition the league you are in for a variance to move the team to a location that would fit within the travel patterns of the league.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • marvelousmarvin
There has to be a MLB affiliate vacancy amongst the AAA clubs. The Mets have done a poor job building strong relationships with and rosters for the local clubs. After Norfolk, its been abysmal with New Orleans and Buffalo. So they got stuck with Las Vegas which is problematic. A long flight for a call up and for a team building around pitching, the PCL and especially LV with dry light air (3000 ft altitude) makes it a hitters venue. I think the only AAA team in NJ is Trenton and that is a Yankee affiliate. Nor do I think MLB owners, especially Steinbrenner and Wilpon would look kindly at a team moving to say, Newark as its too close the the big league team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • frkaz911
If I'm not mistaken, the Mets were considered or did consider Scranton when it became available, but of course the Yankees grabbed it. I'm not sure how the process works, but naturally I suspect some sort of Yankee conspiracy. Both their AA and AAA clubs are a tree-top flight away, or just a few hours by car. Sweet deal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • marvelousmarvin
That's why the Yankees are the Yankees.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • bmcneely
They did it so D'Arnund wouldn't have to move lol
  • Reply to this Message