• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• IF THE METS SIGN LYONS, I AM LESS CONCERNED ABOUT THE PEN
  • To:All
  • 2/3/13
  • marvelousmarvin

Brandon Lyons would be a solid pick up. Combined Edgin, Parnell, Carson, Francisco, Mejia, Hefner, maybe Burke, maybe Feliciano, then the pen will be decent. If they can get Rauch again, even better.

Alderson hasn't done much about the outfield and I don't think Bourne is really the answer, especially if he wants the long term deal and for the money he wants. Letting Pagan go in the trade was a bad move. Bourne isn't even as good as him. The outfield he is going to field is downright negligent.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 86kid

Several of these veteran pick ups could turn out well, both now, and come July. Really nothing much to lose from safety. Solid moves.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • marvelousmarvin
And I forgot about Latroy Hawkins and Scott Atchinson. It's alot easier, I think, to find solid pieces in the flotsam for the pen than outfield. Further, relievers are so up and down, especially many closers, that it makes little sense paying big bucks for inconsistency.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 86kid

Yeah, most pens are an area of annual overhaul. These guys shuffle from on team to the next. It is basically throwing spitball again the wall and hoping several of them stick well enough for you.seems like these guys are coming off good numbers. The injury risk is there for a number of them, but that is how you buy low now, and hopefully sell high later.

As for the OF... I still have hope something more can happen before ST, but if not, we will just have to make dur

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • ExileMetsFan
I agree on all counts. BP should be respectable, OF is terrible.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • edmet
yeah, lot of good mid season trade potential here.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • mysticpiazza
I like the moves as well. (And with Marcum the SP looks fairly solid now too). Still feel we need 1 more solid outfielder though. Byrd is just adding depth.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • stearnsy12

agree that Lyons would be another solid pick up and that the pen has,thankfully,more depth than a couple of weeks ago

i don't think we would have been able to afford Pagan's 4/40 anyway

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • thebobymon

>>The outfield he is going to field is downright negligent.<<

I agree, but you know what will happen.

The OF will perform well above expectatons for half of the year, then fade off.

The Pen will perform so far below expectations, that the most popular threads for the first half of the season will be who we should cut, not how well the OF is over performing.

Of course the last 2 months of the year the pen will be lights out.

Its a lather, rinse, repeat, thing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Pagan got a sweet deal for sure. The Mets didn't like his "make-up" (head case in their opinion) so you are probably right that they wouldn't have done that deal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Anything can happen with these Mets and I guess Alderson is hoping for the best. As I wrote before, hope is not a strategy.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548064.12 was deleted