• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Andrew Brown
  • To:All
  • 2/3/13
  • JackNicholson

I was looking at this guy we signed a while back and his stats in the minors are really incredible. He has hit 20+ home runs in a 100 games the past three years, yet he is 28 and was never given a decent chance in the Majors.

Anybody know more on him? Can't find a decent scouting report

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=brown-004and

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • bucknerismyhero
I know next to nothing about him expect for his minor league numbers. I am sure he will be one of the guys we are talking about all Spring Training. The one thing that Sandy has done really well this offseason is bring in competition. With the lack of guys tied to MLB deals, the players will really be scrapping to make this club. I am a fan of competition, just not of having too few good players...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • JackNicholson
exactly. we have great competition going into spring. We lack the talent, but all of these guys have potential (Cowgill and Brown apparently can hit for good power) but lacked an opportunity. Should be interesting.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • AdrianMonk

I like Sandy's approach of trying to find these unknown players with strong minor league backgrounds. They may not set the world on fire, but I suspect the numbers will end up comparable to what we'd get out of the Tier 2 "name guys" in their 30's for a fraction of the cost.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • JackNicholson

Mhmm! And who knows! Maybe we'll strike gold!

The comparison I saw of Brown was with Ryan Ludwick. Ludwick didn't get decent major league time till he was 28, Brown's age, and at the age of 29, hit 37 homeruns in a season.

You just never know sometimes what these guys can do with a little opportunity.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • marvelousmarvin

Yeah, Jacobs, Ochoa and the Animal were incredible too. Brown's 2012 MiLB season was spent in dry mile high Colorado Springs, btw.

I'm not counting on much from these guys. Maybe I'll be surprised. Surprise and hope is no way to build a MLB team though.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • Oldfan
Tidewater Mets: Roberto Petagine
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • murphstates
Don't get too excited, his numbers were PCL. He's also supposed to be a horrendous defensive player. He and Duda might make the worst defensive combination in the history of baseball. Evidently he has a habit of crashing into fellow outfielders.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • thagreat1
Next Ryan ludwick I hope
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • felixm73
He has some serious power. I know that the Colorado air helps hitters and inflates offensive stats, but the homerun he hit on Sept. 22nd last year against Arizona was extremely impressive, it landed on the concourse and bounced into the parking lot. There is a video clip of it on the MLB site that's worth watching. He could give us some of the power that we lost with Hairston leaving.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • JackNicholson
He'll be interesting. Along with Cowgill, both have talent, but have never had the opportunity. Let's see what these guys got.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • thagreat1
Brown will definitely be a pleasant surprise. We don't need Bourne and I'm not being sarcastic
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • JackNicholson

I hear ya. I would only sign Bourn with protected pick and only 3-4 years.

And I say this because there are no other center fielders at Bourn's ability for the next three years, free agency wise. Unless MDD hits for more power to overcompensate for his strikeouts (sadly, I don't think it'll stop. Best thing to do is get him to hit for more power and be a gold glover, both which are possible), I think Bourn may be our best shot at a true center fielder for a while.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • thagreat1
That's a good point. Unless we trade there is no other good center fielder for a while. That said I'm still tentative giving this overrated strikeout machine a 3 or 4 year deal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Second coming of The Animal.
  • Reply to this Message