• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• MLBTR:Mets still trying to see if Bourn will sign with them
  • To:All
  • 2/3/13
  • stearnsy12

"Cafardo on Bourn,etc etc" : Mets aren't even going to go all out on the compensation issue until they can determine whether or not they can even agree on a deal with Bourn (which makes sense)

this whole thing is still in the negotiation process between the Mets and Bourn and hasn't even gotten to the formal appeal to MLB stage yet (all the rumors and opinions from writers, etc. notwithstanding)

if Bourn's/Boras' price doesn't come down big time this entire issue will become a moot point

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • edmet
sandy is playing it right. use the potential loss of pick as leverage.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • stearnsy12
if Sandy's trying to get Boras to whittle down his price because he thinks we'll lose the pick i guess so....but at least in my book that price would have to be at a major discount because i'd just as soon keep the pick and move on
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • marvelousmarvin
I am enjoying see Boras getting the big squeeze.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • stearnsy12
and even if he's putting up the good front you have to wonder how many suitors are still in line and who will be willing to part with big bucks and a first rounder
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • METCITILES
You and I know that Boras is trying to get the Mets involved so he can get more money from another team. As soon as Boras tells SA that he will have to up the price because another team is interested, SA is going to say (KISS MY AS) and that will be the end to this Bourn, Met saga.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • RobfromLI

No reason to act like Bourn's all that great, he's not worth the pick or the money/years that Boras is asking for. IMO he made a mistake not taking the offer the Braves made him.

He won't get anywhere near what he's asking for.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • 86mex17
Agreed, don't want him. Not worth it!!! The money or the pick!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • stearnsy12
the Mets have to be able to keep that pick and get Bourn's pricetag down before anything is happening which makes me believe that nothing's happening
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • stearnsy12
i don't think that Bourn's that great at all, i personally wish SA would just move on
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld

His statistics would disagree with you.

He's actually, statistically speaking, one of the best CF in the game. Averaged a WAR over 4 for the last 4 seasons... Which is more than what this entire OF is capable of putting up combined.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • metsheart
"the Mets have to be able to keep that pick and get Bourn's pricetag down before anything is happening which makes me believe that nothing's happening"

The clock continues to tick on Michael Bourn though. Pichers & catchers report in 11 days. Even Boras realizes he can't afford to hold out much longer w/ Bourn unsigned.

Teams that are already protected obviously don't think Bourn's worth as much $$$/ yrs as he's asking for. Otherwise they'd have signed him & wouldn't have to give up a pick.

Teams that have to give up a pick don't think Bourn's worth the $$$/ yrs AND giving up a pick.

With each passing day teams are making other arrangements for their OF. There weren't that many interested teams to begin with. Boras has to know that Mets will pay Bourn more than teams that have to give up a pick if MLB rules to give Mets exemption. And probability is if Mets tell MLB they have deal in principle to sign Bourn contingent on MLB granting exemption odds increase they grant Mets exemption.

Time's running out. And Boras knows it. Alderson's calling his bluff by saying Mets will go w/ what they have & keep #11 pick. This "We're moving on" ploy could very well work on Boras/ Bourn. Mets could sign Bourn for no more than $13.3M/ yr for 3 yrs (4th yr club option). AND Mets keep #11 pick.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • nutz4pugs

"i don't think that Bourn's that great at all, i personally wish SA would just move on"

I think Sandy is doing a magnificent job here. He's keeping Bourne in play, but at *his* price, not Boros'.

Having Boros twisting in the wind for as long as he has is certainly better than kowing to him and his price other Met GM's have. He played the Mets, and Minaya, in the Beltran negotiations, going over to the Yanks to see if he could get even more from them, even AFTER a deal had been struck in principle. Now, he's the one getting played. Good on Sandy.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • wrghtknght
I've been skeptical of Alderson for a while, but even I'd have to applaud him if he manages to pull this off on Boras. It might be one of the few times that happens, and it might be a good indicator of what's to come. Still holding my breath on anything he does, but beating Boras at his own game is no mean feat.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • RobfromLI

"i don't think that Bourn's that great at all, i personally wish SA would just move on"

Yes and no. Bourn is better than anyone we have in the organization but he's not worth what is being asked.

• Reply to this Message