• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• BOURN A MET????
  • To:All
  • 2/3/13
  • drjoe807
Is it possible that deal is already done and not announced because of Super Bowl???? Gammons heard that MLB will protect pick....Alderson came to us from MLB...was an assistant to Selig...who ia also a good friend of Wilpons...Bourn may also be filing a grievance .....It all adds up to me.. ANY THOUGHTS??????
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • DFAB
I doubt anything is done and I doubt the SB would have anything to do with it. It's possible that the Mets have been talking about the framework of a potential deal if the pick is protected, but everything is pretty much speculation anyway.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548049.3 was deleted
  • 2/3/13
  • TheGMan47
I doubt it. We'll see.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • METCITILES
Link with, Gammons. I want to here it from the horses mouth.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • thagreat1
Borne becoming a met is not nearly as huge news as you think it would.be. It would not take headlines away from the superbowl
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • drjoe807
Dont have a link...but he was interviewed On MLB network 11 am this past thursday morning...it was also on his twitter account...I saw the interview...it is completely true...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • drjoe807
It is an unwritten law that baseball take a back seat to the super bowl...It would take away back page of all metropolitan area newspapers..IMO....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • METCITILES
It would in NY considering theres no NY team in the Superbowl and it's the Wilpons with there financial mess.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • thagreat1
if it was Stanton then you may be on to something here but we're talking about Bourne..a very very poor mans Jose Reyes offensively
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • stearnsy12

Gammons did NOT say he heard MLB will protect the pick,his OPINION is that MLB might protect the pick just as Ken Rosenthal's OPINION is that MLB will not protect the pick

two talking heads who have verbalized their opinions and nothing more

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • thagreat1
Idk I just don't think it would be huge news..a huge chunk of fans (on here at least) don't even want the guy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • METCITILES
I saw that interview to and he feels that MLB will grant them top 10 status. Nowhere in that conversation did I hear him say that, he was told that they will receive that top 10 status.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • drjoe807
Why would MLB say the Mets have to sign Bourn first???? Would they force the mets to sign him , then not protect pick??? That would be totally unfair...thats wht I think Gammons knows something we dont...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • METCITILES
Now you say you think that Gammons knows something that we don't. Thats a far cry from he said, they are going to give the Mets top 10 status.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 2/3/13
  • metthunder
I have a question, if top 10 draft pics are protected, then why would a pick for last year's draft be be upped into the 2013 top 10 and bump a top 10 team out, what's wrong with making Pirates pick # 10-A or am I not getting their way of doings things. It will prevent #10 team now # 11 from signing a FA from now on and a team who can't or won't sign a pick knows that they will have a protected draft pick the following year's draft. Just saying.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • stearnsy12

they didn't say that the Mets would have to sign him first the feeling is there'd have to be a deal in place before MLB would make a ruling,and even that's just a rumor

it would be completely unfair to other ML teams for MLB and the Mets to make a behind the scenes signing and decision regarding the pick without announcing that they were PLANNING to make a decision..other teams without a protected pick who are waiting for his price to drop might act differently if they knew that Selig granted the Mets an exemption and would be serious suitors for Bourn

i don't think there's any MLB conspiracy going on here

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • stearnsy12
no,you're right and that's what many people have been asking which is why the question of an exemption this year for the Mets has come up...common sense dictates that something along the lines of what you've just said should have been the rule....MLB dropped the ball big time on this one
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • drjoe807
MLB doesnt want the rule to preclude a team from signing a free agent...Especially a big market bottom 10 team...not in MLB best interest...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/3/13
  • stearnsy12
MAYBE that's what the powers that be are thinking,but that's a long way from the statement that MLB has decided that it is going to protect the pick for the Mets
  • Reply to this Message