• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• A question.
  • To:All
  • 2/2/13
  • bxnyc
How many Mets fans beleve that the Mets will finish in 4th place ?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • njmets80
can't say anything since no one has even seen them play yet. every team is an unknown
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • gilforhof
On "paper" it looks like thats where they are headed. But, the season hasn't started and you can never tell what will happen. In 69 they had no chance ... 100-1 odds ... the rest is history. Difference then and now, they had a strong starting rotation, we have the potential for a decent one to very good. They may surprise some people trying to prove something or they may continue the last few years shortfalls. We'll see come April. I'm there for them, win or lose.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • bxnyc
I am for them also. I think thay can surprise people and finish in 3rd place .
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • gilforhof
As I said in this and your other post, you never know. Anything is possible. I think they have a good, fairly solid infield defensively (despite Murphys shortcomings, he's getting better) and are decent offensively. The OF is obviously a BIG question mark and I don't see alot coming out of it. The starting rotation is good and should be better. The BP is a question mark as of right now. So with all that said, again anything is possible. The Phillies have made some improvements, but are not the team they were. The class of the division is obviously the Braves and Nats.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • bxnyc
Everyone knows that the Nats are good But just how much better are the Braves and the Phills to the Mets??
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • gilforhof
The Nats are good, but Gonzalez is possibly going to be a question mark due to the PEDs scandal. That weakens them to a degree. The Braves have always been a team to upgrade when there's a shortfall and it more times than not makes them a better team. There were quite a few games with the Nats last year we "should" have won, but, due to an error or the BP or whatever, we didn't. It was like that with us with other teams too. That is the difference between a good team, average team and bad team. There are times solid teams fall flat and so-so teams shine. That is the exception, not the case. The Braves and Nats are better than we are, Phils probably too. Can we overcome them, possiblem not probable. I'm looking at 2013 as a test of sorts. Now 2014, we better be having a discussion on whether we are contenders for the WC or division. Have to remain optimistic no matter the situation.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • skorpio520

truthfully, with our pitching staff ,even without R.A, what it could potentially be. Our infield. I believe this will happen......

Well tease contention in may,pos early June,then fall of and well watch it turn into a battle for third with the phillys

Then, around July.
Johan,Buck,Marcum if theyre doing halfway decent will be traded for farm help and our battle for third place will turn into a 4th place finish.

Thats what i could see happening.

in 2014 is when we will start getting on track to be competitive

Edited 2/2/13   by  skorpio520
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • gilforhof
I think all of that is possible. The only difference and I know most would probably disagree is trading Marcum, IF he is doing good. Wheeler would most likely replace Johan, but, who else is on the immediate horizon to fill Marcums spot adequately. I know we could probably get a decent prospect or two or an OF trade for him, or maybe not. Also, wheres our next backup catcher coming from? As in all things time will tell.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • skorpio520

oh dont get me wrong.I wanna keep marcum. im saying they will trade him if hes doing good as a way to get farm pieces in a dead year.

im just saying thats what i see them doing ,not that i nec agree with it all.

• Reply to this Message