• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Making Johan Santana the closer
  • To:All
  • 2/2/13
  • alex8686

I think the Mets should try to talk Johan into it. I don't doubt he'd be a dominant closer and it would reduce his innings and protect and save his arm. I think it benefits Johan because it prolongs his career, and although he'd be making less money as a reliever, he would have more years in the league with reduced innings.

As far as it being dangerous for Johan to "get warm" or pitching every 3 days, I don't think it's an issue. He can adjust to that over time.

Edited 2/2/13   by  alex8686
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • gilforhof
Just ain't gonna happen. He's gone mid season or end of season. He wouldn't do it anyway, in my opinion.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • JackNicholson

The first 32 million dollar closer!

But I think he will be a good starter this year. No worries. Once his ankle betrayed him, he relied more on upper-body, depleting his shoulder.

Plus, he spent all of last offseason preparing for season. Rest this year will be ideal for him. He won't reach velocity levels again but he has enough expertise to be effective, maybe even good.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • danthemetfan
While his innings will go down, the wear and tear on his arm will go up. Innings dont matter, neither do pitches, when it comes to a pitchers health. Innings limits hurts pitchers as it conditions them to pitch less and then they cant pitch. What will hurt Santana is pitching 5 times a week. That will put more stress on his arm than 200 innings over a season. If Santana's arm is going, putting him in the pen will kill him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • MetObserver
You may pitch fewer innings as a relief pitcher but you have to seriously warm up much more frequently so not saving much.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • Wrightway5
oh yeah just what johan has in mind.......
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • MetObserver
Hey it's a dumb idea but there have been dumber ones posted.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • AdrianMonk

The idea has some appeal to me, but I don't think Santana would go along.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • bbjmparis
This is one of those rare times that MetObserver and I agree. Santana's arm is hanging by a thread. Being a relief pitcher puts far more stress on an arm than being a starter. No way I'd do this.
  • Reply to this Message