Murph dog too!!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • thagreat1
Send some of that glue my way
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • johnyringo
What? Realy? Come on those guys are clutch!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • jsmet
Tejada is only a baby he will be even more clutch as he gets older.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • JackNicholson

I believe you. I really like this team. I think they have talent and have the ability to perform under pressure.

My concerns are actual talent levels reaching what we need to compete with. Tejada is young enough and seems smart enough/athletic enough to reach those levels. Murph can hit with the rest of them but lacks athleticism, smarts and power.

Ike has power and I personally believe he can be a top 1B but he needs to prove last year was a setback. Wright, we know, can be the best 3b in baseball as long as he plays his game.

Our outfield is in shambles right now but I think Duda can post power numbers enough to make us deal with defense. He also has enormous plate discipline for his 'outline'. I believe Cowgill will breakout for us this year. The guy has talent, but just needs opportunity and correct coaching to unleash it. And I am a firm believer in Kirk. He is athletic enough to man center and can hit enough to make it as an everyday.

So that makes an all lefty outfield. This is okay if they can hit rightys and I believe they can if they are given the chance to grow.

This leaves us to catcher. Buck would be a perfect 2nd string. So this is great with TDA coming up 2 weeks in Reg. Season. TDA will be exciting, with good catching ability and power to all points of the field. Barring injuries (his knee injury was more fluky than chronic), he will be awesome.

Pitching will be our strength and is highly underrated in the NL East.
Johan Santana at the top: He will be good. Not the Johan of old and def not valued to his contract, but he will be good. His changeup has not changed and that is his best pitch. He will still be good.

Jon Niese: I have always loved this guy because of the determination I saw in him. He was like a young Johan in my eyes, the drive. He will show the MLB who he is and be outstanding.

Matt Harvey: He will have a setback, but he is so smart and such a great competitor with great talent that he will show he is ready for top flight rotation rankings.

Dillon Gee: Still one of the best #5 starters in all of MLB. Not posed for #4, but he has enough skill on his pitchers that his a major league pitcher. Colin McHugh is basically a Dillon Gee clone. Both are underestimated by fans, but highly valuable in baseball. Imagine who rotations stick at #5: Miguel Batista look-a-likes.

Shaun Marcum: We have not seen him yet, but I have always been a fan since he has been in Toronto. Know who he is as a pitcher and utilizes it. Injury prone. If he breaks down, Wheeler will be ready. Sandy has set us up for the perfect entertainment right here.

People need to start looking at makeup along with stats. People will look at stats and apply past stats to current player and this is not correct. I can recognize talent and understand makeup and apply it to apprehend a players future. It doesn't seem that hard. Just applying and accepting.

Just as a disclosure, I am a Sports Management major and take actual classes to recognize this stuff. I also spend most of my non-class time digging into players and team research, trying to understand what makes players tick and figuring out tendencies in front offices and individuals. I live the cliche, I live sport and will continue to live sport like a disease.

I know this team has talent and intrigue. I am not saying they will compete with the Nationals and the Braves. But this team has great talent and potential on it. I have been a Mets fan since my birth and have never seen a team I have been this excited about.

I'm sorry I went so in depth, but I really wanted to post this.

johnyringo, i am not calling you out if this post seems like so. I am more just frustrated with the haters and wanted to state my points on this post. All in all, and to conclude this ridiculous long post, yes, i believe tejada is mightily clutch.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • thagreat1
Hopefully this wasn't a fluke year and he truly is coming into his own
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • danthemetfan

I think you make some really good points. The issue I find to be the biggest problem, even more than OF production is the need for BP innings. The Mets dont have any real innings eaters on their staff.

Santana is a 6 inning pitcher tops now.

Neise can go 7 or 8, but will they let him?

Harvey has the arm to go deep, but I think they will be dumb like almost all teams and cap his innings, which hurts his development, as well as taxes the pen.

Gee cant go more than 5, and Marcum cant go more than 6.

Even if the BP is light years better than last year, no BP can survuve that overuse, and it will be dead come August again. There is a reason why the BP starts off good every year and is terrible post ASB every year, and that is because the Mets have no one who can give the pen a night off.

As an aside, they did have Dickey last year, but the pen was just that bad it didnt help any.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • thagreat1
I think because our bullpen is now so deep and we have all these vets in the minors I think when one group starts to fatigue in August 5 more guys will be called up to hold the fort
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • danthemetfan
That is not a formula that will work. They need the starters to go 7+, and that wont happen.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • thagreat1
Sadly you're right (where is Daren Oliver when you need him).. Santana can't go more than 6 and same goes for Marcum but with any luck one or both will be gone by July and the void fillers will be more of the workhorse variety.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • JoseJose
Nothing personal, but IMO the actual character Jack Nicholson played in the shining (as per your avatar), while at the peak of his tormented dementia, could type a more realistic post about the Mets' team this upcoming year. Sounds like you have them winning the division and sweeping all playoff games to take the title. Thanks for the laugh.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • JackNicholson

"I know this team has talent and intrigue. I am not saying they will compete with the Nationals and the Braves. But this team has great talent and potential on it."

Actually read the post before making ill-informed comments.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 548022.14 through 548022.15 were deleted
  • 2/2/13
  • thagreat1
I think the problem is some people are in denial that they no longer like the Mets so they resort to what you witness today
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548022.17 was deleted
  • 2/2/13
  • JoseJose
I stand corrected. To be more accurate, the rest of your post is incongruent with that statement. You make it sound as if they have the best team with out of this world positive comments about every player, and predictions of vast improvement, even for our outfield. It just ain't so. By the time I read all that, I forgot about the statement that we won't compete with the Braves and Nats. But you did say it so my bad.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • JoseJose
I am not miserable at all. The Mets team is though, thanks to an owner who can't afford the team massively cutting spending and getting a GM appointed by the mlb offices to spin the situation. I have probably been a Met fan longer than you (early 70s) and will be for life. The current ownership is very bad for us.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • JoseJose
Yeah the team is in great shape, has been for years, and we have the Phils, Nats and Braves shuddering at our foreboding talent. When things stink, some of us remain in reality instead of making posts about how great the team is. THAT"S denial.
  • Reply to this Message