Message 548021.1 was deleted
  • 2/1/13
  • jsmet

Okay forget Bourn & trade for Josh Willingham<

Now you are talking.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • AdrianMonk

I think he's too old and probably makes too much money for this team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • ExileMetsFan
I'd be happy to get him. Not sure if we have what it will take to get him, but if we can do it w/o gutting the farm, do it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • thagreat1
I don't know how we can get this deal done but I would rather willingham than Michael as well
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • DFAB

I think we should get BOTH Bourn and Willingham...that would make our OF very solid and our lineup pretty good.

Bourn
Tejada
Wright
Ike
Willingham
Duda/Cowgill/etc
Murphy
Buck
Pitcher

Looks good to me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • DFAB
I don't see how he would cost a ton. He's almost 34 and could be a little bit of a salary dump...although at 7m/yr for the next 2 years is very fair. Maybe Familia+DD/Kirk? This move should be done if we got Bourn.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548021.8 was deleted
  • 2/2/13
  • metsheart
No. Don't trade even B-level prospects for guy who's about to turn 34 on Feb 17th. Especially one w/ .261 lifetime BA & 5 SB/ season avg. Yeah 35 HR in 2012 -- but how many would he have at Citi?

Sorry. BAD idea!!

Not to mention POINTLESS since that move won't improve the team.

Edited 2/2/13   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • AdrianMonk

Well, there are no rumors about him and the Mets, so it's all conjecture. My thinking is that is we're going to give up several prospects for a player, we need to at least get several years out of him. On the other hand, with a 34 year old, you don't know if you can count on him for 3-4 years.
Willingham's BA has hovered around .250-.260 for the last few years. Will it stay there, or drop right away to .240? Will he still hit 30 hrs at Citi, or will it be 25 the first year and drop from there?

My main objection is I don't want to trade den Dekker who brings speed and defense to the game, and would be more likely to improve at the bat over the next few years than tail off. Odds are, Willingham would be the better player this year, but that's not a certainty.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 2/2/13
  • abbymart

He's been a real solid player, but his age is a concern and he's never really sparkled defensively. But he's always had a good bat.

At the same time, you have to acknowledge that "perfect" outfielders are few and far between. You can pick apart almost anyone if you try

Also, it's always loads of laughs to see certain people clamoring for a guy who strikes out at a higher rate then our own player that they call "whiffboy"

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • thagreat1
If we got Josh we would have three guys liable to hit 30 Homers and maybe two or three more liable to hit twenty. I'd hate to say it but we'd be a juggernaut with him..
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548021.13 was deleted
  • 2/2/13
  • njmets80
how about keep DenDekker, trade someone like Lagares & an A ball arm for Willingham. I'd rather keep the better OFer in DD.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • MetObserver
Willingham only hit 35 last year. Hitting in our bigger park I can see him dropping back to maybe the mid to low twenties. But he strikes out more than DW and only averages .260 last year with his 35 dingers was the only time he every had 100 rbis so I wouldn't count on that again. He is also a poor defensive player and would be more of a drawback in the Cavernous Citifield.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 548021.16 through 548021.17 were deleted
  • 2/2/13
  • MetObserver
I was stressing that it was the only time he did hit that many and people shouldn't look for that type of production every year in the future. His normal average has been in the low to mid twenties.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • thagreat1
I don't think his home run total would drop that far. Davis hit 32 here and he had an anemic first three months
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/2/13
  • metsheart
Willingham's not gonna hit 30 HRs in Citi. No way!!

Maybe he hits slightly more HRs than Hairston did last yr. And Willingham's not a great fielder. Plus he doesn't have good speed. Mets would still need leadoff man.

At age 34 I don't see the point in giving up even B-level talent for 1 (maybe2) yrs. And that's even assuming the guy stays healthy.

If you want to give up B-level talent for OF get Eric Young from Colorado.

Rockies have plenty of offense to spare but NO pitching. Colorado scored 2nd most runs in NL in 2012 (758 RS). That's 108 MORE RUNS THAN METS (650 RS). But Rockies had TEN LESS WINS THAN METS (Mets = 74 wins / COL = 64 wins)!!! Rockies had NEGATIVE 132 run differential. Means Rockies pitching gave up EIGHT HUNDRED NINETY RUNS!!! Now I understand Coors has something to do with it. Rox gave up the most runs in MLB at home (523 RA). But Colorado gave up 367 runs in other ballparks. Which is more than 18 other teams (including Mets) gave up on the road.

Trade either Mejia or Familia + either McHugh or Hefner + ONE AA pitcher (not Syndergaard) + Duda (who'd hit a ton of HRs in that thin air out there) & get Young who'll be 28 in May. He's a switch hitter & has speed. Has gotten better the more he's played. Young's minor league OBP is extremely good & had .377 OBP (196 PA) in Colorado in 2012. Young doesn't have the pop Willingham has. But will be better for more yrs IMO. And would be very good leadoff man. A move for the future that won't "cost" very much in prospects.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Baseball Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 11:57 PM
Favorite Easter Basket Candy
Latest by metman79 - 11:54 PM
ANYONE EXCITED FOR MLB THE SHOW ON PS4?
Latest by bonillasonlyfan - 11:54 PM
Secret Service Threatened Mr. Met's Life
Latest by bmcneely - 11:50 PM
Wilmer Flores with 7 RBI already