• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Worst Outfield, Best Infield?
  • To:All
  • 2/1/13
  • govmule72
TDA, Davis, Murphy, Tejada, Wright - If TDA pans out and Ike and Tejada progress as reasonably expected, is there an NL team with a much better IF than that?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • Gepett0
i dont know that theres a team in mlb w/ an infield that is much better than that
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • thagreat1
with the exception of tejada that is 1 scary in field
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • murphstates
I wouldn't necessarily say it's better, but based on last year's numbers LaRoche, Espinosa, Desmond and Zimmerman would get the nod.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • alfolerud
Don't forget that Ike has yet to establish himself. He needs to hit over 30 HRs and bat over 250 this season to prove that he is a top slugger. Also, Murphy and Tejada are good hitters for 2B and SS, but they are worse than even average OFers. Wright is the only established hitter we have in the infield, and even his has been iffy for 3 seasons. Please slow your role and be more objective.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • Kranesback
I would put us sixth in the NL after Washington, Cincinnati, Los Angeles, San Fran, and St. Louis - although you could bulid a decent case for third best in the league. In the AL Detroit, Anaheim, the Blue Jays and the Rangers have beetr infields...btw...catcher is technically not an infield position.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • Gepett0

you don't compare IF to OF...you're missing the point

he never said - the mets if is the best core in baseball....you have to compare them to others at their posiiton and the fact is that every single one of our infielders will likely grade out as better than average offensively at their position...and, w/ the exception of 2011 when he was hurt, wright was still better than average at his position during those years

you are the one thats failing to be objective in your efforts to paint the team as being bad

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • alfolerud

2B- 10th
SS- 10th
3B- 3rd
1B- 12th
C- TBD

That is not a great infield.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • Melo15nym
Exception of Tejada?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • thagreat1
What intrigues you about tejada?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • alfolerud
Yeah as in Tejada is not a very good hitter. OPS under .700 proves that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • hamp
I think its fair to say that the infield has realistic potential to be the best or close to the best.....Ike still needs to show that he's capable of hitting for better average,Murphy can hit and is fielding better but not great,Tejada is a nice glove but not a great hitter,and Wright is certainly a proven all star....so if things click like I believe they can ,they do have realistic potential to be top notch
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • govmule72

"i dont know that theres a team in mlb w/ an infield that is much better than that"

Agree.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • govmule72

"I wouldn't necessarily say it's better, but based on last year's numbers LaRoche, Espinosa, Desmond and Zimmerman would get the nod."

You're not including catcher though, which could give the Mets the edge.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • govmule72

"Don't forget that Ike has yet to establish himself. He needs to hit over 30 HRs and bat over 250 this season to prove that he is a top slugger."

Let me repost exactly what I wrote...

TDA, Davis, Murphy, Tejada, Wright - If TDA pans out and Ike and Tejada progress as reasonably expected, is there an NL team with a much better IF than that?

"Also, Murphy and Tejada are good hitters for 2B and SS, but they are worse than even average OFers."

We're not playing them in the outfield.

"Wright is the only established hitter we have in the infield, and even his has been iffy for 3 seasons."

Murphy is established too...but let me repost once again so you can catch up...

"Please slow your role and be more objective."

Slow my role? Lose the feigned arrogance. I posed a premise derived from my opinion and reasonable expectations. Your opinion on the other hand is no more objective than anyone else's.

This bratty attitude is exactly why you get the responses you do from people.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • Melo15nym
He is a perfect number two hitter. He does all the little things correct like working the count and moving runners over. He is not a flashy player like Reyes was. He has a tremendous baseball IQ for such a young age and he's only going to get better.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • govmule72

"you don't compare IF to OF...you're missing the point

he never said - the mets if is the best core in baseball....you have to compare them to others at their posiiton and the fact is that every single one of our infielders will likely grade out as better than average offensively at their position...and, w/ the exception of 2011 when he was hurt, wright was still better than average at his position during those years

you are the one thats failing to be objective in your efforts to paint the team as being bad"

Exactly. What does the outfield have to do with it? He obviously didn't even read the post, nor its subject. He's not the brightest bulb.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • govmule72

"2B- 10th
SS- 10th
3B- 3rd
1B- 12th
C- TBD

That is not a great infield."

Not is, was. And we're talking will be anyway.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • Melo15nym

He is a good hitter. He hit .289.

You don't need power from the shortsop position. He's still only 23.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/1/13
  • govmule72

"Yeah as in Tejada is not a very good hitter. OPS under .700 proves that."

Yeah, because short stops who are really good fielders and hit .289 at the age of 22 just stink. Good lord the kid wasn't even fully grown.

• Reply to this Message