• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Santana and Marcum for a blue chip prospect
  • To:All
  • 1/30/13
  • thagreat1
If Santana AND Marcum (not one and not the other) put up first half numbers really great for example sub par 3.00 era I think that would be enough to get a top ten prospect. It is not that impossible.. If both are completely healthy it's very likely (at least for four months) dominate. This idea is radical I admit but with the track record of these two pitchers (aside from injuries) indicate they can definitely do well.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547963.2 was deleted
  • 1/30/13
  • thagreat1
Unless we are literally running away with the division (which I doubt) I say we look to the future and trade them.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/30/13
  • cjct

dickey won the cy young and we s*cked....not sure that logic is 100% full proof

if we are hovering around 500 and have a chance to nab another big time piece for the future you pounce.

only chance is if we are in first we dont trade them

but honestly no way in gods green earth do we beat the braves and nationals with there rosters

• Reply to this Message
Messages 547963.5 through 547963.6 were deleted
  • 1/30/13
  • srdiddy666
I'm glad you bring this point up. I have pretty much been in favor of the "great rebuild" for a few years, but have also been noticing the trend of taking it a bit far. While I would be more inclined to trade in this type of scenario because the Mets still have a lot of pitching depth, and the great pitching did not really help the Mets avoid stinking last year, we do have to consider how dominant the rotation would be if both Santana and Marcum have great years. Assume Neise and Harvey continue to grow and Gee does what he does, the team really could be in serious contention. We've got a ton of arms in the bullpen so you have to assume one or two will rise to the top, and while the lineup remains pretty suspect, they just have to get hot at the right time.
I have a much bigger issue with people who suggest trading Wright, because there really is no way to replace what he contributes for years. I think that Johan and Marcum could be pretty easily replaced mid-season with limited drop off, but I can actualy see a scenario where this team as presently constructed can compete - particularly with those two pitching lights out. I think the real wild cards will be TDA and Duda. If TDA gives us .280 with 20 hr's, and Duda can give us .260 with 25+hr's, throw in .265 w. 15hr's from a combination of Kirk and MDD (certainly a best case scenario), and the lineup should score enough to support top notch pitching. Tejada, Kirk, Murph, Wright, Davis, Duda, TDA, Someone. Pretty balanced, with some on base abilities at the top and a nice stretch of guys who can knock a few over the fences sitting at 4-7. There's a lot riding on Duda this year. If he can't improve on the 20hr power (which I think he can) and inexplicable stretch that dropped him from .280 to a sub .240 hitter last year, then the lineup is pretty suspect and I have a very difficult time seeing how we compete.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/30/13
  • thagreat1
Another wild card is cowgill he had a great minor league numbers but a rough go at his first 60 some odd games. who knows what we can see out of him his first full year could be a dud to be a stud.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/30/13
  • MetObserver
What team that is in contention in their division would have 2 spots open in their rotation or on their 25 man roster? Not many would. Maybe one spot for an extra starter but 2 I don't think so. Unless they are only mediocre and what to take a shot at winning but that type of a scenario doesn't show up very often.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/30/13
  • thagreat1
even if we're above 500 I say trade both of them (if they're doing that good) unless only they're running away with the division no point in having these guys who probably won't duplicate that type of success anytime soon besides we have wheeler to bring up for at least 1 of them.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/30/13
  • MetObserver
The point is that no one team is going to be looking for both of them for some super prospect. The best you can hope for is that two team are interested in bolstering their rotation with one of them and each team would offer a prospect. But the prospects offered may not be of the blue chip variety since Marcum wouldn't bring anything big on his own and with Santana there is the specter of the remaining salary for the year hanging over their head. If we eat the salary we get a better prospect but if we don't we get back very little in the way of real talent.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/30/13
  • METMAINEAC

But yeah...both these guys are going to be 10-2 sub 3.00 at the break, the Mets will be 3 games up on WAS, and they'll go for Will Meyers or Billy Hamilton.

I mean no big loss right, Wheeler will be established in the rotation and Syndergaard right behind him.

How bout we start with getting either of them on the field first.
Then through 6.
Then a W.
Then come back and do it again every 5-6 days.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/30/13
  • thegooch42
combined they're grtting like 20 million this year, mets are either going to need to eat both contracts and then they'll get a good prospect bavk (not a top one lol) or they eat a majority of the money and take a lesser prospect. Plus there arent gonna be teams in contention that need 2 starters. I see us trading one of the two (most likely marcum) and getting a midlevel prospect with hihh upside, like the throw-in in the toronto trade
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/30/13
  • thagreat1
I don't know..I can definitely see a team maybe in the A.L. that has a juggernaut offense and decent bullpen and they ar only getting by with that and are in moderate need of two really good starters.. I think they may be willing to give up one if their blue chips if Santana and Marcum are performing as lights out as I originally proposed.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/30/13
  • Kranesback
You would need a contending team with two rotation problems and a boatload os saz's turdpolish to get a deal like that done.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/30/13
  • thagreat1
Most contending teams have need for at least one better hurler. A team in need of Two is a stretch but not a laughable one.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/30/13
  • brianinwi

"Most contending teams have need for at least one better hurler. A team in need of Two is a stretch but not a laughable one."

The 2006, 2007 and 2008 New York Mets leap immediately to mind.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/30/13
  • saztastic2012
Actually for half the year when Dickey and Santana were both putting up ACE numbers we were in contention.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/30/13
  • alfolerud
Don't forget that Wright was hitting .350. That won't happen again. And we don't have Dickey anymore. We will not contend in 2013, not even for a few months.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/30/13
  • MetObserver
Actually he was hitting .400 for a few Months and why can't that happen again? He has an average over .300 during his career. Why do you think that all of a sudden he is going to fall apart?
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Matt Bowman - Binghamton
Latest by comeagain - 8:09 PM
Cubs
Latest by johnyringo - 8:08 PM
Music Thread II
Latest by vbch - 8:01 PM
Will Myers struggling
Latest by AdrianMonk - 8:01 PM
Random Letters Game
Latest by ellenbronx - 8:00 PM