New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• The reason some fans have little patience for rebuilding
Message 547898.1 was deleted
  • 1/27/13
  • joemets22

Agreed.

The other thing is...it hasn't been an all out rebuild. It's been a primarily rebulid situation combined with a small chunk of a very half-a**ed effort to be mediocre now. Just like as you mentioned with Reyes.

Or the way they're going to end up spending last year and this year the same amount on trash that has no future with us like Fat Frank and Jon Rauch as it would've cost to sign Yoennis Cespedes and actually take a shot on a young guy who can help us long-term and fill a HUGE need.

But yes, it should never be forgotten that this process could have gone faster if we had owners that actually wanted to win.

Edited 1/27/13   by  joemets22
Edited 1/27/13   by  joemets22
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 547898.3 through 547898.6 were deleted
  • 1/27/13
  • 86kid

>>>The perception that this course of action is being taken not because it's necessarily been deemed the best thing for the franchise, but because our imbecile owners are broke."<<<

Regardless of why we've been set upon this path, it is a path that I believe this franchise has needed to be on for over two decades now. It's the path that I believe will be best for this franchise's health over the longer haul. Frankly I don't really care if we got here because of the Wilpon's folly finally coming to a head, or whether it is really Sandy's great vision/plan. I get frustrated with losing too, but I am more than willing to endure more of it, if the greater good is served, and we have annual winners here for the next 10 years or whatever.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 547898.8 through 547898.16 were deleted
  • 1/27/13
  • gilforhof
I can understand your frustration completely. I have no trust whatsoever in the W boys and not a whole lot in Sandy. I find myself flip-flopping at times with the entire situation. We have gotten great prospects by dealing Beltran and Dickey, I will admit. But, very little else in any other way. I do complain about the OF situation, but still I am willing to give what we have the chance to show what they have (if anything). They may surprise us all. I don't like the idea of giving a #1 pick for someone other than a player that will have an immediate and powerful impact on the team. I don't see Bourn as that player. He may win us a few games, but being in 4th place with 75 wins or 4th place with 79/80 wins doesn't help us a whole lot. I haven't given up on 2013 and actually look forward to the season starting, but I am keeping my expectations in check. If they do great, all the better, if not, there's 2014 to look forward to ... thats where we have to really start.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547898.18 was deleted
  • 1/27/13
  • KLake409
Well actually they did spend a ton of money from 2008 to 2010 and it didnt really help,
Remember getting Santana in 2008 cost a huge amount of money, signing K-Rod and Putz (to improve the bullpen) in 2009 cost a ton of money too, and Signing Bay in 2010 (who at that time had just hit 30HR+ in his last 5 seasons) also cost a ton of money, the fact that just spending tons of money didn't improve the team much is problem the reason they have cut back spending the last couple years, cuting back on over priced players for a few years might be a necessary step in building a winner again.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • gilforhof
Its hard to watch your team fail, especially when you have so much passion involved in being a fan. You get frustrated, mad, angry, whatever. But, there are those times when its completely the opposite. If we had Bourn in center, Stanton in right, and some other stud in left, we would "probably" be a better team. I am not one to give "if" this or that falls into place with the kids, we'll be contenders, but you honestly never know. The law of averages tells you basically what should happen, but they fail at times too. We have kids/basically untried players in the OF (all with 1-3 years ML experience). Kids in the starting roation (adding Wheeler) and a kid coming up as a catcher. The infield outside of Wright is not all that different. Not much is going to change on this roster, so we have to give them the chance. No matter what they do, its Mets baseball and its fun.
  • Reply to this Message