• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• TOP 30 WESTERNS OF ALL TIME
  • To:All
  • 1/26/13
  • 86kid

I was just watching the classic western SHANE again tonight, for like the 100th time in my life. It never gets old for me.

Anyway, it prompted me to break up the baseball chat for awhile by listing what I feel are the TOP 30 Western of All-TIME.

I'm sure that most of these would be on your list also, but perhaps you would rank them differently, or add something I might have missed. Feel free to do so, and/or give your comments on any of them.

1. The Searchers (John Wayne)
2. Fort Apache (John Wayne, Henry Fonda)
3. The Magnificent Seven (Yul Brenner/Steve McQueen)
4. Shane (Allen Ladd/Van Heflin)
5. The Oxbow Incident (Henry Fonda)
6. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Jimmy Stewart/John Wayne)
7. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (Clint Eastwood)
8. Stage Coach (John Wayne)
9. The Gunfighter (Gregory Peck)
10. True Grit (John Wayne)
11. Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid (Robert Redford/Paul Newman)
12. Red River (John Wayne/Montgomery Clift)
13. My Darling Clementine (Henry Fonda/Victor Mature)
14. Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner)
15. Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood)
16. The Big Country (Gregory Peck/Charlton Heston)
17. Yellow Sky (Gregory Peck/Anne Baxter)
18. How The West Was Won (Jimmy Stewart)
19. A Fist Full of Dollars (Clint Eastwood)
20. Open Range (Robert Duvall/Kevin Costner)
21. Lonesome Dove (Robert Duval/Tommy Lee Jones)
22. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (John Wayne)
23. Jeremiah Johnson (Robert Redford)
24. The Outlaw Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood)
25. The Fastest Gun Alive (Glenn Ford)
26. Rio Grande (John Wayne/Maureen O'Hara)
27. Gunfight at OK Coral (Kirk Douglas/Burt Lancaster)
28. 3:10 To Yuma (the orginal) (Glenn Ford/Van Heflin)
29. The Alamo (John Wayne/Richard Whitmark)
30. The Cowboys (John Wayne)

HONORABLE MENTIONS
1. Firecreek (Jimmy Stewart/Henry Fonda)
2. Last Train From Gun Hill (Kirk Douglas/Anthony Quinn)
3. Angel and The Badman (John Wayne)
4. Tall in The Saddle (John Wayne)
5. The Naked Spur (Jimmy Stewart/Robert Ryan)

Edited 1/26/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/26/13
  • 86kid

One of my real favs on my list is 'Yellow Sky', starring Gregory Peck. This film has been somewhat unsung among the great westerns, but it's a classic, and wonderfully western.

But #1 on the list, The Searchers, starring John Wayne, is not only the best western ever made (IMO), but also one of the best movies ever made in general. The story is fabulously written, and wonderfully paced. The picture is beautifully shot with colors and angles that jump off the screen.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • gilforhof
#1 The Searchers.. not only because its a great movie, but I had a big time crush on Natalie Wood
#2 The Outlaw Josey Wales.. another great Eastwood movie
#3 Dances With Wolves ... gotta love it
#4 Shane... classic
after that they can be placed in any order ... depends which one I watch on any given day.. They are all great movies for one reason or another
Angel And The Badman is a favorite of mine, for being a good movie and having Gail Russel in it.. another crush thing there
You did a great jobe on the list 86, I applaud you.
Might want to add Broken Arrow with Jimmy Stewart to the list somewhere
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • Kranesback
I don't know if they're really considered pure westerns, but The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and of course "Blazing Saddles". Also the Wild Bunch and High Noon.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • gilforhof
High Noon definitely belongs on the list. Treasure of Sierra Madre a great movie, maybe not considered a western, personal opinion thing I guess. Blazing Saddles pure insanity.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • 86kid

>>>"Gail Russel"<<<

I was crushing on her in a major way too... Those killer eyes and lips of hers... wow

I liked Broken Arrow too. I think I have seen it a dozen times. lol

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • 86kid

OOOOO !!!! Wow you are right. HIGH NOON.

I knew I forgot something major, but I couldn't think of it at the time. I was chewing at me since I posted the list, and felt I had left something off.
LOL

I wanted to revise my list now, because that is certainly a Top 15, but it won't let me make anymore revision to that top post.

Treasure of the Serria Madre was a brilliant movie, and might be Bogart's best acting performance ever. I did think of it for this list, but decide it wasn't really a western to me. But if I were doing a TOP 30 movie of all-time for all films, this could easily be in the top 20 for me.

Edited 1/27/13   by  86kid
Edited 1/27/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • gilforhof
This is OT, but ever see her in a movie called "The Uninvited"? Very good movie, I think. She died VERY young .... 36 years old, heart attack from too much drinking.. a shame. But, yes.. those eyes and lips .... heart breaker she was.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • jt28da

How is Once Upon a Time in the West not on this list, or not number 1?? Fonda, Bronson, Robards, Cardinale??? List takes a hit for not having that one...

I'm surprised Tombstone isn't on there. I thought that was really well done. Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood is easily an all time great, but I think the original should be on there as well.

Also my personal fave is a Charles Bronson western that wasn't real popular. Red Sun. If you haven't seen it, check it out sometime. Not always easy to find, but if you're a western fan it is well worth it!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • KLake409

"3. The Magnificent Seven (Yul Brenner/Steve McQueen)"

I think Yul Brynner played pretty much the same cowboy (only Robotic) in West World too.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • 86kid

No, I never saw The Uninvited, but end in life was pretty sad.

"She continued working after 1947, and married actor Guy Madison in 1949, but by 1950 it was well known that she had become a victim of alcoholism, and Paramount did not renew her contract. She started drinking on the set of The Uninvited to ease her paralyzing stage fright and lack of self-confidence.[1] Alcohol made a shambles of her career, appearance and personal life. She was divorced by Madison in 1954[2] and, after a five-year absence, returned to work in a co-starring role with Randolph Scott in the western Seven Men from Now (1956), produced by her friend Wayne, and had a substantial role in The Tattered Dress (1957).

On July 5, 1957, she was photographed by a Los Angeles Times photographer after she drove her convertible into the front of Jan's coffee shop at 8424 Beverly Blvd. After failing a sobriety test, Russell was arrested and charged with driving under the influence.[3]

[edit]Death

She appeared in two more films after that but was not able to control her addiction, and on August 26, 1961, Russell was found dead in her apartment in Brentwood, Los Angeles, California, at the age of 36. She died from liver damage attributed to alcohol.[4] She was found to have been suffering from malnutrition at the time of her death.[5] She was buried in Valhalla Memorial Park Cemetery in North Hollywood, California.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • gilforhof

She was only 19 when she did "The Uninvited". If you ever get a chance to see it, let me know what you think, Ray Milland is the "star". As I said, in my opinion a good movie and she is doll in it. And terrible what happened to her.

Guy Madison was in a western called "Charge At Feather River" that I always liked as a kid... a tie to his being Wild Bill I think.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • Moses0507

The Good, the bad, and the Ugly.

Thats my favorite all-time.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • gilforhof
Gawd ... Claudia Cardinale could make your heart triple beat. That was a woman lol.. the movie was great too ....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • jt28da
absolutely! Claudia Cardinale and Raquel Welch are the hottest women of all time, in my opinion!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • 86kid

>>>"How is Once Upon a Time in the West not on this list, or not number 1?? Fonda, Bronson, Robards, Cardinale??? List takes a hit for not having that one..."<<<

I certainly think a strong case can be made for that one. I have seen it twice. I think it is well done in it's own way, but it's not really one of my favorites. I found it a bit too long and plotting to sit through all the linger looks...etc... I think it's a less version of something like The Good,The Bad & The Ugly. But like I said, I think there is a lot of good creativeness there, and I'd have no problem sliding into the list somewhere in the bottom. It just never came into my mind as I was doing the list.

>>>"I'm surprised Tombstone isn't on there. I thought that was really well done."<<<

I did think about it. Tombstone is one of those western I like and could what over and over on a rainy Saturday, but one that I don't feel is better than what's there. It would likely on the lost if I extended it to a top 50 list.

>>>"Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood is easily an all time great, but I think the original should be on there as well."<<<

Unforgiven was Eastwood's master stroke at the tail end of his career. Excellent movie, and I think his supporting cast of Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman and Dennis Harris was great.

The original ? Are you talking about 'The Unforgiven', starring Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audie Murphy ? I like that movie a lot. It is a totally different storyline from Eastwood's, but it was wonderfully done. That is one I could have on the list if I made it a TOP 40 list.

>>>"Also my personal fave is a Charles Bronson western that wasn't real popular. Red Sun. If you haven't seen it, check it out sometime. Not always easy to find, but if you're a western fan it is well worth it,"<<<

I have't seen that one, but I will try to.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • gilforhof
You may very well be right. Welch is 70 something now and is STILL gorgeous. That says alot. Cardinale I haven't seen lately so I can't say. Bardot was something back then too .... now... whatever happened lol (age I guess, we all get it).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • 86kid
West World was so cool.
Had to love the part where his friend (James Brolin) thinks it's still a game, and he ends up getting shot...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • sr40
dont forget rio bravo- john wayne, dean martin
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/27/13
  • jt28da

I disagree with Once Upon... but I totally agree otherwise. Eastwood's Unforgiven was totally different, and I really really liked it, would definitely be on my list, but Lancaster's Unforgiven, with Hepburn being attached to the Indians was just a great story line, probably top 5 for me.

Red Sun will not be easy to find, but it is, to me, a strong classic. If you've ever seen the bad western Shanghai Noon with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson, that was actually written as a spoof telling of Red Sun. Charles Bronson, and Samurai movie star Toshiro Mifune, in a western train robber movie. It's a great great movie.

• Reply to this Message