• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Would view of DUda be different if....
  • To:All
  • 1/26/13
  • goetzcougar34

We didnt send him down for 30 games last year? Say he stayed up and played and hit 4-5 hrs and drove in 15-20 runs.
Low end : 19 hr 72 rbi
High End: 20 hr 75 rbi

This looks like at least a decent stat line for an outfielder who should get better. Maybe we could of at least drawn more interest if he hit 20 and drove in over 70

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • RobfromLI

How do you know he would have done that though?

Putting aside the HR/RBI it's these numbers that are so worrying:

.239 .329 .389

His SLG% is below .400 for goodness sake and he's supposed to be a power guy.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • goetzcougar34
Well figure in 30 games 4 hrs 15 or so rbis is not exactly setting the world on fire it is the pace he was on for a 30 game stretch. I doubt he would have had 1 hr and 4 rbi in 30 games
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • thagreat1
I'm one of the few who thinks in a full year he can hit 30 home runs. As well as have a nice average. In 2011 he batted .292 last year he endured a little something called a sophomore slump.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • KLake409
Well anything's an improverment over Bay,
so let's see if can hit 25HRs or more (he's got the raw power to hit 40HRs someday).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • hamp
I get what you are saying....The first mistake the Mets did was to put him in RF.....This will be his last chance because we know he is capable of hitting ,he just hasn't been consistent enough, but the thing that has often irked me most about Duda is his awful defense......... so if he can perform even adequately in LF and put up the numbers you suggest we might just have something there....totally not counting on it though
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/26/13
  • anthony888

Personally, I think Hudgens messed him up, as well as Davis.

These guys are sluggers, and like to sit on THEIR pitches. Whether it's the first pitch fastball, or taking a pitcher deep.
Those guys are NOT thinkers, and IMO Hudgens tried too hard to make these guy's "thinking hitters".
As soon as Ike decided to NOT listen, and start swinging at first pitch strikes, his numbers improved.

I think Hudgens could do a great job with guys like Tejada, and Reyes, but these Mets don't need to keep the bat on their shoulders.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • saztastic2012
Agreed but for some reason Duda has become the latest fan whipping boy, Just as Murph was a few years back because of his D, He came around and so will Duda.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • brianinwi

If Duda were a Designated Hitter or a first baseman, that would be fine. The problem is that he's probably the worst defensive outfielder in major league baseball. Or at least the one with the least range.

Hard to carry that with so-so offensive production.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • saztastic2012

How do you know he would not have bounced back sooner?

He hit .258 the first three months, Then fell off hitting .140 in 43 ABS in July, Then hit .211 in 19 Aug ABS and then back up to .239 in 67 Sept ABS and .250 again in 8 Oct ABS.

Clearly he had a slump and when he returned resumed hitting, Maybe he would have bounced back sonner had he not gone down?

Either way even if we take just what he did 15 Doubles, 15 HRS, 57 RBI and 43 Runs over 401 ABS and prpject them to 602 ABS (not factoring in any imrpovement) We still get 23 Doubles, 23 HRS, 86 RBI, 65 Runs.

I would sign for that from LF, It is a major improvement over what we got from Bay last year.

Edited 1/26/13   by  saztastic2012
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • skorpio520
no,if it did ,probably for the worse.theres A reason we sent him down
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • saztastic2012
Hey Move over Im in the boat with you, And so are the Mets, Scouts and most people with any talent evaluation skills not blinded by hate for the Wilpons.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • elsid1986

*He came around and so will Duda*

And you know this how?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • elsid1986

he endured a little something called a sophomore slump.

Or maybe Major League Pitchers started exploiting his weaknesses and he couldn't adjust.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • saztastic2012

Because he is willing to work at it, He is slow but they can teach him to get better reads which will help alot and he is willing to put in the work, Also they are moving him to left where he has faired much better in his time there.

How do you know he wont?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • elsid1986

A reason we sent him down

Everyone seem to forget that he also was absolutely horrible in Buffalo after being sent down.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • skorpio520

"he endured a little something called a sophomore slump."

could be that.could also be the league figured him out.
hope its the first one but well see.sophmore slumps def are not unheard of and happens to most.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • elsid1986

*And so are the Mets, Scouts and most people with any talent evaluation skills*

And every scout except the Mets all also say he is a first baseman or a dh. NOT an outfielder.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • saztastic2012

And yet when he came up he was decent again, He has a grand total of 786 big league ABS, 150 came before he took over full time for Beltran So in 636 ABS as a full time starter he has 24 HRS, 74 runs, 38 Doubles and 100 RBI

So tell me you would not take 100 RBI, 74 runs, 24 HRS and 38 Goubles from LF?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • nvmets10

"but for some reason"

The reasons are very clear - he was the worst defender in major league baseball last season and was poor offensively to boot. Kind of presents a major problem.

• Reply to this Message