• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• The Marcum Signing
  • To:All
  • 1/26/13
  • Oldfan

For a team that appears broke, I'm trying to figure out the sense of signing a guy who appears to have no future with the Mets for 4-8 million.

Why a starter?

If the Mets OF is as bad as it is right now, what difference does it make? Marcum doesn't appear to be the type of signing that will elevate the Mets into playoff contention. The weak spots on the team are in the OF and BP. Neither area has been addressed.

If 2013 is really all about 2014 and beyond, why wasn't the 5th SP spot given to the winner of a Mejia/Familia ST competition? I'd think a year's experience in the ML would benefit one of those guys more than having Marcum for a season. The same goes for Wheeler who should be brought up anytime after there's no possibilty of beginning his arb clock. At the latest, Wheeler should be in NY around the June/July timeframe.

Marcum just seems to be blocking a couple of the young guys, which seems to contradict the direction this team should be headed.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • thagreat1
Ya know, I pondered the same thing. I mean Marcum is good and all but where does he fit this year? I can only imagine thathey are hoping this guy is revitalized and send as a trade piece this July for a proper outfield prospect.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • nvmets10
I can't really argue with any of that. Definitely a fair point at the moment, though if they were to somehow also sign Bourn and at least one good reliever, it at least would then mean they're trying and not completely punting the season. If not, which seems to be the more likely scenario, then the Marcum signing just continues the trend of sending mixed messages.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • fargol

"If not, which seems to be the more likely scenario, then the Marcum signing just continues the trend of sending mixed messages. "

I do tend to agree, but I'm hoping they made this first signing so late because they wanted to make sure they had other deals on the cusp to make it worthwhile for 2013.

Or, I could be completely wrong ...

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • Oldfan

I agree.

If Marcum is the first step, it'll make some sense.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • RobfromLI

1 - Marcum wasn't that expensive, if he has a good first half he "could" be trade bait.

2 - This allows some of our younger arms to get their MLB experience in the pen if we go that route - which btw is nothing new.

3 - Depth at any position is never a bad thing.

4 - Who knows what kind of limit Harvey will have on him in terms of innings pitched.

5 - I'm sure Lucas Duda will come around be hit 40 HR this year.*

*Please note sarcasm.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • Oldfan

Without any additional moves, that would be the best case scenario, though I doubt Marcum would bring back much better tha a B prospect.

I don't know if that is worth not letting Mejia or Familia pitch in the majors for more than half the year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • RobfromLI

" though I doubt Marcum would bring back much better tha a B prospect."

If that B prospect is in the OF we just landed ourselves this franchises best OF'er.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • nvmets10
Yea, that could very well be. I think the last starter signed to a major league deal came over a month ago so it's not as if the market for him would've changed much. Let's hope it does indeed mean they just waited until they thought they'd be able to get something done elsewhere. Sadly it's hard to be optimistic with this group.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • PutItInTheBOOKS
Hey its a big improvement over the Hefner, Batista, etc...cr ap they would walk out there last year man how man starts did they give those scrubs
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • thagreat1
Yeah this is befuddling. Starting to doubt Wheeler will pitch this year
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • Oldfan
Good point.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • jsmet
You need Marcum to fill the spot for Santana if he is not affective since he may be washed up or in case they trade Niese for a outfielder.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • Melo15nym

"Starting to doubt Wheeler will pitch this year"

Lol, Wheeler will pitch this year unless he get's injured of course. Honestly, he should be up by mid June if he's doing well in AAA.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • Oldfan
Not that I'm totally opposed to trading Niese for a good young OFer, but he's not being replaced by a guy on a one year deal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • jsmet

he should be up by mid June if he's doing well in AAA<

Hopefully before then.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • rnr8396
Since we have a couple of starting pitchers coming back from injury, it was wise to pick up a solid pitcher that fills out the rotation. Especially one that did not cost us anywhere near what the recent market for starting pitching had been going for. This allows a Wheeler to continue to develop and work on and improve his command some as he didn't spend that much time at the AAA level. He will also (in all likelihood) be doing so pitching to d'Arnaud which can only help both of their growth. As far as Mejia/Familia goes, this signing would allow Sandy to include one (if not both) in a trade, possibly one that he is currently pursuing, without impacting on our starting staff. If nothing more really comes of this signing, and the pitching kids continue to develop, we will have another "chip" at the trading deadline to try and improve for 2014.
It seems ironic that so many (not saying you) that I have read, have complained that we hadn't signed a single free agent and as soon as we do, there are posts wondering why we bothered. None of us have a real clue (some say neither does the F/O LOL) as to what the plan is and I know it is getting late, but there is still time to make improvements. Until spring training begins, and even more so, until the season begins, I am reserving my final judgement until I see what additional moves (if any) are coming.
This can be viewed in more ways than just one. I am hoping that signing Marcum is just the 1st domino that will fall between now and spring training. I anticipate at least 1 more addition for the bullpen (I would not be too surprised if they sign Brian Wilson) and also believe that "something" (either a trade or Bourn) will address our pathetic outfield situation. Sandy is not done, so I would preach a little more patience and wait to question his moves (or lack there of) until the Mets break camp to start the season (or at least until Spring Training).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • PutItInTheBOOKS
Sandy is quite the patient man love it
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547865.19 was deleted
  • 1/26/13
  • jsmet

I personally thought that Wheeler should ve come up North from ST and been given a spot in the rotation<

I agree.

• Reply to this Message