• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• To:All
  • 1/25/13
  • JoseJose
Sorry if this has been covered, but I wasn't on the board. I don't know much about Marcum - his stats look good. What's his deal? Is he hurt at all? I thought I heard something about that but I am not sure. What kind of pitches does he throw, and did he start all of last year? Thanks,
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • thebobymon
He is restarting his career as a left hander.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547858.3 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • thagreat1
A non negative post...no way
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • YaGottaBelieve11

Personally I love the Marcum signing, there's a lot of similarities that can be drawn between him and Chris Young, their career stats are almost identical. He also gets by on a heater that sits in the 86-87 mph range, he's only 6'1" though.

He has a nasty change that gets a lot of swings and misses, 38% to be exact, which is just as much as Felix Hernandez gets on his change up. He did have elbow tightness that caused him to miss time last year, which is why we got him relatively cheap.

Edited 1/25/13   by  YaGottaBelieve11
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • brianinwi

Marcum's a good, solid pitcher. I saw him pitch for the Brewers the last couple of seasons and he was remarkably consistent. He hit the DL in June last year with "elbow tightness" but came back after two months and was still effective.

He's got a 4-seamer, a 2-seamer, a cutter, a changeup and a curve. Not a lot of velocity, but good control and keeps hitters off balance with a variety of pitches.

Reminds me kind of a righthanded Jonathan Niese.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/marcush01.shtml

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • gomets66
marcum only costs 4 million guaranteed. can earn another 4 million in incentives. so if he stays healthy, 8 million. good signing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • frenchsoup
you guys got great value with this signing say id rather have 2 marcums then 1 edwin jackson
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • eastcoastjaysfan

Excellent value signing for the Mets. His physicals must've shown some serious red flags though. I have no idea why a guy a very, very solid track record like Marcum's would only be able to secure this type of a deal. Even if he gives you 150IP, that's great value for that type of $.

You guys won't win your division this year, but your rotation really won't be that bad.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • JoseJose
Thanks.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • JoseJose
Thanks. Sounds good.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • JoseJose

"A non negative post...no way"

Bro it's the Mets situation that is negative, not me. When positive things happen with our team I am upbeat about the team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • AdrianMonk

His signing was mostly to calm the worry warts who need "proven" on their paper rotations. I don't think he'll make much difference one way or the other.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • JoseJose
You mean worry warts as far as fans? I hope the GM doesn't make moves on that basis. And they don't exactly have a recent track record of fan-appeasing moves.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/10/13
  • thagreat1
Yeah but you perpetuate that negativity
  • Reply to this Message