• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Tired of the negativity
Message 547851.1 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • alfolerud
We have more financial resources than all but 5 teams. We should be good every year.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547851.3 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • thebobymon

If you're tired go to sleep.

Negativity is part of this board, quite a few of the boo birds "screen names" are not even fans of the Mets...don't point fingers but it is a reality.

Of course I will be ripped apart for chastizing those who critisize the team, but the fact of the matter is, there are handfull of non fans that have multiple screen names and just bash the Mets non stop.

There are also many fans that are just frustrated, and why shouldn't they vent?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • ExileMetsFan

I used to be the most positive person on this forum, except for maybe Saz. Not because I wasn't aware of problems, but because they WERE surmountable. But the Wilpons financial woes and their constant stupid moves and non-moves have made me pretty pessimistic.

HOWEVER, I don't feel it necessary to pi $$ on the positive people. At least I don't want to be nasty about it. I take no thrill in being "right" if things go bad. In fact, when I am wrong and something happens better than I expected, it makes me happy.

Sadly, 4545 felt it necessary to try the whole "you said they wouldn't do X and they did so nyah" thing yesterday. When I acknowledged being wrong, he had nothing to say. It was highly disappointing. I like the guy, but I think if you are going to be petty and try to throw it in my face, acknowledge that I at least have no problem admitting when I get it wrong. None of us is right all the time. It's not a weakness to be wrong, it's a weakness to not be able to acknowledge it when one is wrong.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547851.6 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • thebobymon

4545 Needs to crack a window..I mean that in the nicest way.

Go outside.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547851.8 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • ExileMetsFan
I was disappointed. He's been one of my favorites on the forum. I think sometimes he forgets what my name used to be
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • RobfromLI

Not everyone can be patient and there is nothing wrong with pointing out the realistic when it comes to this teams flaws. The OF as an example. I'm sorry but there's nothing to be happy about here. All we have are a bunch of mid to late 20 year olds who have shown they aren't ready for the big leagues. Considering their ages I'd say none of them ever will be. Would they outclass me in a pick up game? Of course they would. But in the majors? They're bench guys at best.

Now there's plenty to be happy about, our young pitchers, TDA, a resurgence from Ike and the continued development of Tejada. We can all be positive about that. Plus we have Wright for life and Murphy really isn't as bad as some say.

Winning. That's what we all want though and without it you really struggle to find happy fans. Especially in this day and age when pro sports ownership and leagues are so quick to point out that it's all a business. Remember, ownership will hike prices and make it as expensive as possible for us to go to games the moment they put a good product on the field. We know full well how quickly ownership and the league will try to squeeze every last cent out of our pockets and we accept that, when we are winning.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • Oldfan

It's funny how many are drawing comparisons between the Mets plight and that of the Nats, now that the Nats are winning.

Comparing a team playing in a large market to a mid-market team that was nearly booted from existence in the early 2000's, moved around without a stadium for a few years, owned by MLB, which restricted the commissioner-appointed GM from signing FAs is more than a bit misleading.

To remain competitive, the GM depleted their system by trading blue-chip prospects for aging vets. By the mid 2000's, the Nats weren't in much better shape than an expansion team.

Face it, the Mets are a large-market team who should not have been down this long. Most of their problems are/were self-inflicted.

If you want to compare the Mets to mid-market teams, look no further than the NL East and notice how long it's been since the Braves have been really bad.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • KLake409
I don't think this is rare, the Yankees were terrible in the late 80s and early 90s (about 5 years)
the Mets have been bad since 2009 but were good 2006 to 2008,
yes the Mets should be better by now but I do have hope for 2014.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • RobfromLI

"Face it, the Mets are a large-market team who should not have been down this long."

-- Large markets really have little to do with failing and winning. I'm not sure why people keep talking about the market as if that would make the team better. And it's not like the Mets own this market or have no competition within this market. The Mets have to compete directly for fans with the NY Yankees, the most successful franchise in professional sports. Not exactly a cake walk.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • johnyringo

I am more machine now then man.

I want to see the mets serve their fans selflessly with honor, integrity, courage, respect, duty and loyalty.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • 86kid

>>>"We have more financial resources than all but 5 teams. We should be good every year."<<<

The Mets have almost always been among the top payrolls under the Wilpon, and almost always among the top teams in terms of reinvesting their profits back into their team. We are just seeing signifiant reduction in the last year or two in the after math of Madoff and the Wilpons other terrible folly.

All this just goes to show though that having $$$ resources isn't an automatic the gold pass to winning. The Marlins just spent a ton on talent, and it got them nowhere but back to square one.

We spent big for decades and still had nothing to show for it, other than bloated payrolls with underachieving bad contracts, annually subpar farm systems, and poor teams that could even make the post season most years, let alone win a World Series.

One of the greatest eras in Yankee history came after they developed a core of young players, and then augmented that with more expensive pieces. The Braves great run came on the foundation of a core of great young players like Glavine, Smotlz...etc

I am all for spending, but only after we've done the patient hard work of building up a core of young talent to be the foundation from which we can have annual success. Hopefully, it gives us the depth to draw from to make trades and fill holes at the major league level, without having to be an annual slave to quick-fixes through the checkbook baseball of free agency.

But going back to the overall point of the OP, I agree with him that level of frustration is certainly understandable, but we should always have at least some hope and some positives that we can find in some of this even within the frustration.

I mean, just speaking for myself, if I had something in my life that made me so miserable everyday that all I could do is come on here each day and post negativity, then I'd likely find another way of spending my time to find something to be happier about. It's an open forum and people can post what they want, but I personally don't get why one would beat themselves over the head everyday with a hammer.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • 86kid

I get what you are saying and all that, but just speaking for myself, I take up my problem with the specific poster, rather than laying this out in another thread where the accused might not be able to give his side of things... I'm just sayin'

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • fargol

"I agree with him that level of frustration is certainly understandable, but we should always have at least some hope and some positives that we can find in some of this even within the frustration."

Exactly. While my expectations aren't very high for 2013, I look forward to watching the kids.

And if I had NO hope; if my expectations for 2013 didn't include anything fun or anticipatory, I don't know why I would bother coming up here or watching the games.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • 86kid
True.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • Deadtrek

The Mets have a small market ownership in a large market. That's the problem.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/26/13
  • govmule72

"but i personally cant wait to see all the kids develop"

...or not.

Stop whining,

• Reply to this Message