• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• WE HAVE ALREADY GREATLY IMPROVED
  • To:All
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012

Lets see Thole, Shoppach and Nickeas combined to be the worst offense from the Catchers spot in the league replaced with Buck and TDA Major improvement, Even if TDA does not come up, Buck alone is a major improvement.

Over 600 ABS wasted on Bay and Torres that will go to better hitters, No matter who takes over they will be better.

So that is 1200 ABS that will be taken by better hitters in 2013 then in 2012

Santana another year removed, Harvey for a full year, Gee back and now Marcum far outweights the loss of Dickey

The worst offenders in our pen gone, Replaced with young guys and still new guys will be brought in.

Overall already we are greatly improved,

We have an above average rotation, Every position on the Infield and Catcher is above Average, OF is unproven but that does not mean they wont be able to produce, And we are still working on bringing in another OF.

The pen was reshaped at the end of last year and there are still a few guys to be brought in.

Overall the 2013 team will be much better then the 2012 team.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 547849.2 through 547849.3 were deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012
Was anything in my post a lie? Or Wrong?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • alfolerud

Losing RA Dickey is a big deal. He pitched great last season, going deep into almost every win. I'm sure Harvey will be great...but we can't expect him to do what Dickey did last season.

We have no idea what to expect from Santana or Gee.

The worst of our pen is gone, but so is Rauch.

Kirk, Duda and Cowgill are only marginally better than Bay and Torres.

We will probably be in the low 70's this season.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • TheGMan47
To replace Dickey you don't need to have one player put up his numbers. The rotation as a whole will pick up the slack.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
You can't just say that maybe they will be a little better then last year or the same you say much better. This team is in no way much better then the team last year. They will be lucky to be as good as last year. Plus with the Nationals getting better and the Braves getting better and the Phillies probably being better because they will have Howard and Utley there from day 1. We will have to be better just to have the same losing record as last year.
Our Bullpen is still a mess and Frank Francisco is still our closer if he is even healthy enough to start the season with us.
This team will be lucky to win the same 74 games they won last year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
Find me the twenty wins that Dickey gave us from this rotation.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 547849.9 through 547849.11 were deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
That does not make this years team better. It makes the 2014 and 15 Mets better. I am not saying we shouldn't have traded Dickey. I am just saying anyone that thinks this team is better or the same because you can easily replace RA Dickey this year is way, way off base. This team is not and will not be better then last year because we have not gotten better anywhere at all. The infield will stay the same or maybe improve a little, but Buck is not a good offensive player at TDA has never played above AAA. The outfield is not better at all. The Bullpen still has Frank Francisco as it's closer and Bobby Parnell as it's set up guy. We are not better, while the other teams except the Marlins have gotten better.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
If Santana is better he will be gone before he gives us those extra wins.
Are you even sure Marcum will gives 12 starts let alone 12 wins?
So now with those extra 20 wins from those guys and everything else being the same we are back to a 74 win team. Find the other 7 wins to get to .500
By the way our closer is still Frank Francisco and Bobby Parnell is in the wings. That should make our starters sleep well at night.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • gomets66

So now with those extra 20 wins from those guys and everything else being the same we are back to a 74 win team>>>

as of now, have to hope that the current roster can equal last season. mets have barely, if at all, improved on last years team.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547849.15 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
Preaching to the choir here my friend.
Plus add in that the Braves are better, the Nats are better and the Phillies should be better just because Utley and Howard will be there from day one and we might have to be better as a team just to get to 74 wins like last year.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547849.17 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
You just showed me numbers that may or may not happen. Santana will either not be hear long enough to give us those nine wins because if he is good he will be traded and if he isn't good or hurt he will not be pitching. Dillon Gee might or might not get to his number, remember he is coming back from a serious surgery.
I pointed out from my first post about Dickey's 20 wins that getting those extra wins to make up for his 20 still keeps us at 74 and that we needed 7 more just to get to .500.
Where is the improved offense at SS coming from? You are just assuming that Tejeda will give more.
The Catchers position will improve why because we got a guy that hit .194 last year as well as a guy that was cut from another team and has a career .152 average and a kid that has never played above AAA.
The Outfield numbers need to replace Hairstons numbers not just Bay and Torres so it is not a certainty. This team needs to be better just to get to 74 wins because of the other teams in our division getting better.
The 2013 Mets will be hard pressed to get to 74 wins.
The 2014 and 15 Mets will be the teams that finally start to show if we will be in the playoffs anytime soon, not this team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
But they are still better then most.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • hamp
I always pull for you Saz....how can anyone knock your enthusiasm.....yes they are improved but what you are saying is the equivalent of somebody putting new tires and a nice paint job on a vega.....we need a WHOLE LOT MORE than what they have done....Cowgill,Marcum,TDA.....if they sign Bourne and a reliever I will begin to think more seriously about the Mets being more than a cellar dweller
  • Reply to this Message