• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Bourn career - .272/.339/.365
  • To:All
  • 1/25/13
  • alex8686

He's overpriced and overrated for me. I know he has the exceptional speed and defense and plays CF, but he K's a ton, doesn't hit for much average, and isn't exactly an OBP machine. Also doesn't hit for much power. He's also 30 now.

I think he's a nice player, but not at the price you'd have to pay him right now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
How is he "overrated?" Overpriced I get, but explain to me how he is overrated? When did anybody ever talk as if Bourn is Matt Kemp. Bourn is who is. A great defensive enter fielder and a good lead-off hitter. Anybody can use Bourn on their team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • alex8686
Depends on how much he costs. Anything over 4 years, $48 million is too much for him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
I agree with that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • alex8686
A career slashline of .272/.339/.365 is something Kirk Nieuwenhuis could put up. Yeah, you're getting speed and defense, but is that minor aspect worth all the extra expense? I don't think it is.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
lol Nieuwenhuis.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547841.7 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • nvmets10
Speed and defense at the level Bourn provides are not "minor aspects".
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
lol how would it come back to bite me? He's a strikeout machine and has never been able to hit lefties at all. He's a 4th outfielder AT BEST and you know it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • alex8686

People get caught up in the glitz and the glamor and forget, Michael Bourn isn't that great. He's a career .272/.339/.365 hitter. The only exceptional thing about him is his speed on the bases and in the outfield.

There's no sense giving 70+ million to a "fast guy."

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • alex8686
If that's the case, then just go with Den Dekker then. If you're paying for Bourn's defense, you've got a cheaper alternative in DD.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
That's "overrated" though. Do these people even realize how much of are a bad defense lost games for us last year.

Edited 1/25/13   by  FromTheRedSeats
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"If that's the case, then just go with Den Dekker then. If you're paying for Bourn's defense, you've got a cheaper alternative in DD."

Except that he he hit .220 last year in Triple A.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nvmets10

But Bourn's defense is ELITE. Den Dekker is almost definitely not going to be on that level. Bourn's UZR ranked 2nd in ALL of major league baseball last season.

And then there's also the elite speed which becomes even more valuable with the not great but above average OBP.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547841.15 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • MetObserver
Yes he did hit that for 1/2 season in AAA. He did the same in AA in his first year and then last year hit .340 .397.563.960 before he was promoted. He has done this at every level that he has been on in the minors. It seems to be a pattern with him. If he starts at AAA this year my guess would be that he starts hitting lights out. One thing that didn't suffer when changing levels is that he hit just and many hrs in both places last year 17 total.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • alex8686

Yeah but it's speed which at age 30 he's starting to lose. It's not a good idea to give a five year contract to a 30 year old whose entire value is based on speed alone.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Gepett0

actually den dekkers defense IS on that level

den dekker is an elite defensive center fielder w/ power

the problem is that he may never be able to make enough contact to justify being on the field every day despite the fact that he would instantly become a top 5 defensive cf'er

a few clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSZf6o7rM58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XorbDHmX0Fg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H_-xrRHTMU

there is no doubt that this kid would be an elite defensive cf'er...but can his bat play?

of all of the OF in our system that will open at A+ or above, den dekker undoubtedly has the most potential to be a starter

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nvmets10
It really is amazing how many are just plain ignoring his defensive game. This team ranked DEAD LAST in OF defense last season with a -25.4 UZR (and they were dead last in 2011 as well actually). Bourn's 2012 UZR was +22.4 himself.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • viper99

Give Den Dekker another year and you might have a better player. The defense is already there, all he needs is a little better AVG and OBP. He does have speed and great defense already and way more power than Bourn.

Anyway, in 2014, Gomez is also a FA. Even more speed and would cost a lot less. Ellsbury is also a FA so it would be much better for the Mets to give another year to Capt. Kirk and DD and if that doesn't work out, go after a different CF from the FA list.

• Reply to this Message