• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Attendance in 2013
  • To:All
  • 1/25/13
  • drjoe807
If the Mets do not bring in Bourn or an other ML Outfielder...we as fans, should NOT pay MLB prices to see a Minor League Outfield...Its about time we send the Wilpons a message...Let them host the All Star Game with an attendence of under 1 million....
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547830.2 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • MetObserver
Yeah convince the 3 dozen or so fans on this board to stay home and that should put a crimp in the Wilpon's pocket. LOL
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • drjoe807

IT IS FANS LIKE YOU THAT ENABLE THE WILPONS...THAT IS WHY THEY THINK THEY CAN FIELD A MINOR LEAGUE TEAM YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT.. Truth be known,I am a bigger fan than you...

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • 4545_ajd
You do realize that Mets payroll started to go down AFTER attendance started dropping, not the other way around.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • bbjmparis

Why is someone who's upset that the Mets stink, and that their FO has done nothing to improve the team, not even signing a Young, who'd be our best outfielder, for pocket lint...not a real fan?

Why is someone who doesn't want to pay major league prices to watch last years Buffalo Bison team...which stunk in AAA...not a real fan?

What is a real fan? Someone who disconects his brain and accepts whatever baloney the Wilpons shovel at them? Someone who ingnores the fact that the W-L record get worse every year? Someone who doesn't expect ownership to at least try to win?

I think not!

The real fans are disgusted with SA and the Wilpons. The real fans want to watch a winning team with good major league players, not a bunch of bumbling minor league wannabees and guys off the scrap heap.

So don't say someone isn't a real fan because they won't lick Fred's boots.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Robert
so are you blaming the decreased payroll on the fans?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • murphstates
Let's get real, payroll started dropping after Madoff.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • thagreat1

Yeah convince the 3dozen or so fans on this board to stay home>>

it's funny you mention it I was thinking about it the other day and it's really the same 15 to 20 people who post here over and over again.. We're pretty close knit here I guess

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • drjoe807
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • 4545_ajd
If attendance was better Payroll would be higher, the team is losing money. Maddoff was a one time hit and they actually made money off of him but a team can't continue to lose that amount of money year after year that just isn't sustainable.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Robert
you must be Jeff Wilpon. blaming the fans for the decreased payroll takes the cake
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • 4545_ajd
I am not blaming the fans, The Mets put a poor product on the field it is their fault that the attendance decreased, but decreased attendance leads to decreased revenue leads to the team having to decrease payroll.

Edited 1/25/13   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547830.14 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • 4545_ajd

"Then the second they were actually able to drop payroll, this past offseason, there was no hesitation. You want to blame the fans, who had already been through 2 horrific collapses prior to this whole financial/Madoff mess? Hey that's your right. I disagree with you completely."

Carlos Delgado finished 9th in MVP voting in 2008, why wasn't he traded instead of paying him 14M in 2009. Beltran hit 284/27/112 in 2008 why wasn't he traded as well, we saw the Marlins do it this year so if they really were desperate for money after Maddoff situation broke before the season in 2009 why didn't they have a fire sale and sell off all all their high priced players like the Marlins and even the Red Sox did last year?

Krod had a 1.90 ERA at All Star Break in 2009, you are telling me they couldn't find any takers for him to get rid of his contract?

Edited 1/25/13   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metsheart
"Someone who ingnores the fact that the W-L record get worse every year?"

2009 Mets record: 69-92
2009 payroll: $149,373,987 (HIGHEST payroll in Mets history)

2010 Mets record: 79-83
2010 payroll: $126,498,096

2011 Mets record: 77-85
2011 payroll: $142,797,166

2012 Mets record: 74-88
2012 payroll: $ 94,508,822

Slight problem w/ your claim -- Mets had their WORST RECORD of last 4 yrs when they had their HIGHEST PAYROLL EVER in the history of the club. And Mets had their BEST RECORD of last 4 yrs w/ 2nd LOWEST PAYROLL of last 4 yrs.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547830.17 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • 4545_ajd

"As I recall, when word of the extent of their losses and potential losses, and the Piccard lawsuit broke, suddenly the checkbook was 100% closed. Remember the offseason of '09/'10, when everyone was speculating about whether they were going to get Joel Piniero, John Garland, Jason Marquis... or would they take a chance on a Ben Sheets or a Carl Pavano? Maybe 2 or 3 of the above? The answer was NOTHING."

Yea cause I am sure the fact that attendance from 08 to 09 dropped from 3,154,000 to 2,559,00 almost 600,000 had nothing to do with it...

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Kranesback
LMFA0
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • murphstates

You do understand that attendance has very little to do with their financial issues right? They lost money in 2009 with 3.1 million attendance and 93% capacity. Comparing 2008 attendance to 2009 is a bit comical since they chose to move into a smaller stadium and actually filled the stadium to a higher percentage in 2009.

Don't you find it a bit curious that you never heard a word about losses or financial problems before Madoff? For example, in 2005 payroll was more than $100 million and attendance was 2.8 million, but I don't recall anything about them losing money.

• Reply to this Message