• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• No to Bourn unless price drops and we keep pick/Pavano maybe
  • To:All
  • 1/25/13
  • stearnsy12

Bourn doesn't belong on this team unless we can keep the 11th pick (very long shot) and his price drops from the rumored 15 million a year (could happen). Three years at 33-36 million plus no loss of a draft pick and that would be reasonable

unfortunately for Carl Pavano he ruptured his spleen shoveling snow (yes,it's true) and will be out 8 weeks....he may be worth a minor league deal at this point,a very low risk/high reward type of move that could pan out if he's effective and can be moved at the deadline

• Reply to this Message
Message 547826.2 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
Why does everyone care about the pick so much. This isn't the NFL or NBA draft where the player you pick can make an immediate impact on the franchise. It's hit or miss with years of development. Plus you can find talent in the later rounds.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547826.4 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • skorpio520
HERE COMES THE JUDGE!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • edmet
i wouldnt touch pavano. an aav of $13m for bourn, 3 to 5 yrs, is my target. even if we lose pick.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • METMAINEAC

You think after the Marcum signing that there is still interest in Pavano?

I want nothing to do with him.

Should they start serious negotiations with Bourn, expect the union to file the grievence over the pick...which is expected to be protected.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Moses0507
The only way losing the pick is worth it is if the Mets get a great deal on Bourn.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • skorpio520
i dont think its worth losing the pick even in that situations
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • bbyjean616
I don't get it either. It's a set up to defend ownership when they do nothing. People forget guys like depodesta are in on drafting guys. Failed Gms with horrible, absolutely horrible draft histories. We have been drafting under slot. We pass up stud pitchers for utility guys. 64 k means we don't sign our second round pick. Who cares if we lose the draft pick. Our draft history and situation tells me it matters little. Its not a sure thing. We have NO ONE in the of now. One pick is gonna come in the way of someone who can help us for three years? Come on
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • PigIron

Forget about Pavano. He ruptured his spleen shoveling snow at his home in Vermont. He'll be out 6 to 8 weeks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/free-agent-pitcher-carl-pavano-sidelined-six-to-eight-weeks-with-ruptured-spleen-012413

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Remember86
As far as Carl Pavano is concerned, I had no interest in the Mets getting him before he ruptured his spleen. I hope the Mets don't waste their time and money on him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
How long has Harvey pitched in the majors? You already want to act like he's a hall of famer?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • stearnsy12

while a first round pick in baseball won't make an immediate impact on the ML team the flip side to that argument is that a Michael Bourn will cost us maybe 50 million dollars and not impact the team either,at least not in the standings

personally,with our time frame for competing i'd rather have the pick and the money moving forward

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • stearnsy12
SOCK IT TO ME SOCK IT TO ME!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • stearnsy12

at this point you might be able to get Pavano in the 1 million dollar range with incentives...would be a reasonable gamble

13 million may be a bit high for Bourn but if we're going to lose the first rounder forget it...we're not really going to compete for a WC next year with or without Bourn and the idea of signing him so we "have someone to watch" doesn't fly in my book

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • stearnsy12

honestly,i didn't think there was ANY interest in Pavano but NOW that he won't be able to pitch for 8 or 9 weeks due to a non-pitching arm injury i think his price has just bottomed out and he'd come cheaply on a gamble/potential high reward-low risk deal

and do we really think Santana and Marcum are going to make 35 starts each?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • stearnsy12
i'd really like to keep that first round pick so the deal would have to be really sweet
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • stearnsy12
i know and that's exactly why i want him (because his price just came down a lot)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • stearnsy12
ironically enough i had NO interest in Pavano BEFORE the spleen injury...i'm thinking out eight weeks and then some to rehab just brought his price down a ton
  • Reply to this Message