• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets have no choice
  • To:All
  • 1/25/13
  • drjoe807
They have to sign Bourn....the Wilpons have to bite the Bullet...I for one will buy a ticket package if they add him..At least give us something to watch!!!!!
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547825.2 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • jsmet
Even if they do sign him. He is not much to get excited about. The only good thing about him is
He hits for average and steals bases.Other then that he has no power and is a strike out machine. This line up
Has enough strike out machines as it is.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547825.4 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • Gepett0

i dont know about that...i mean, if i was in that position, it would be more about the draft pick than money for me

15 mil a season in todays market is not a lot of money for a starting cf and probably the most talented or at least 2nd most talented position player on the fa market

but losing the 11th overall pick is a major kick in the groin

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"its not about money its about losing a 1st round pick which i dont want to do"

Completely backwards. It IS about the money and it isn't about the draft pick. Bourn gives everything the Mets need. Leadoff hitter, base stealer, good defensive center fielder.

Stop acting like the draft is the NBA draft where anyone can make an impact. The draft is all a <crapshoot.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Gepett0

no, when you are a rebuilding organization and you have the 11th pick in the draft and then don't pick again until pick 41 at least (not sure if we have draft lotto picks from cba violations this year), it is totally about the pick

the reason our farm was so bad to begin w/ was that for years we werent picking until late 2nd round bc we forfeited all of our top picks in the draft

stop acting like draft picks are meaningless bc they arent

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Gepett0

also, if we have learned anything over the pst few years, its that FA signings are a cr.ap shoot

Jason Bay - bust
Johan Santana - borderline bust
Pedro Martinez - borderline bust
Carlos Beltran - eh....too many injuries but his production was nice
trade/resign but castillo - bust
Krod - borderline bust

in fact, what was the last major FA signing we made that actually worked out like we planned? all of our successful signings have been minors deals and relatively low risk contracts

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012

"they do sign him. He is not much to get excited about. The only good thing about him is
He hits for average and steals bases"

UMMM How much more do you want from a lead off hitter?

OHH and his WAR was 6.0 which had him tied for 6th with Chase headley behind Wright.

Id be more then happy with 26 doubles, 9 triples, 10 HRS and 42 stolen bases.

The guy is a legit hitter and worth 15 Mill a year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"the reason our farm was so bad to begin w/ was that for years we werent picking until late 2nd round bc we forfeited all of our top picks in the draft"

Yeah, now all of sudden the farm is suppose to be good now because they have had high 1st round selections three years in a row and they have traded veterans for prospects. You can sacrifice a pick this year because the Mets don't have any outfield options inside the organization. Eventually you are going to have to go get help outside the organization and right now is good way to start because Bourn brings everything the Mets need.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
So we should never sign a true major league free agent to a multi year contract? And if you notice that list, all of those guys were signed by Minaya and that was his weakest thing of being a GM.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • edmet
his D is also stellar, important for a team built on pitching that plays in a big park.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • edmet
why does every one not mention his D? i peg him at an aav of $13m.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Gepett0

did i say that?

no, i said that losing the 11th overall pick in the draft - the 1st unprotected pick in the draft - is a bigger deal than handing out a 4yr/60 mil contract in many ways BECAUSE of the new cba draft spending restrictions....you cant just go "ok well we gave away our 1st rounder, lets throw a ton of money at a hs guy that was a round 1 talent but fell bc of signability"

i personally feel that mlb should change the rule as the mets are requesting it not because it helps us but bc it makes no sense and was a bad decision on the part of baseball to begin w/ ....if we get the 11th pick protected, i think signing bourn is not a bad move

personally, i would go after bourn this year ONLY if the pick is protected....otherwise, i wait until next year and make a run at choo among others

• Reply to this Message
Message 547825.15 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012
13 Mill sounds fair.
  • Reply to this Message