• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• How Do You Feel About Bourn?
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • nextyearm
I like the idea of signing him. Would be a great sign of moving in the right direction. I dont think it would make the biggest difference for 2013, it's not like that signing ='s post season. That said though, it a piece to the puzzle and a very good one to have. give us out lead off hitter for the next few years and a very good CF to build around. What do you guys think about the Mets going out and getting him?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547820.2 was deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • KLake409
I don't know I'd have to be a psychic to know for sure how a FA signing will work out
I mean Bay had hit 30HR+ 5 years in a row before the Mets signed him (in fact the only question was supposed to be whether his defense was good enough for Citifield as it turned out he was stellar defensively but couldn't hit here).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • nextyearm
True, but fall offs like his are pretty uncommon. I mean he was litterally worthless. My one thing is why didnt they just resign Reyes? pretty similar, Reyes is better and wanted more but was a fan favorite. Kinda frustrating when i think of it from that angle. That said i want Bourn and think he can be a good piece of the puzzle. Would get the ball moving in the right direction and gives us more to add on next year. Gotta start somewhere.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • BigTon
I get your point about Bay K,but speed doesn't slump.Alot of guys stole bases well into their mid 30's.Bourn would be a nice addition,not a huge difference maker,but a nice addition.And if we can seal him up,then we can focus elsewhere,without the "AWW we still need an outfielder" issue buzzing in our heads.And i also think he could provide some surprise pop in Citi. He hit 9 HR's last year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • BigTon
Me too nextyearm!I could see he and D wright getting along too.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • sheadro
I would also like it for what it represents which is the Mets spending money again. The signing itself however, I do not like. The draft pick is a big drawback for me but beyond that, I just don't think he is the type of player we should be giving out a star player contract to. I like Bourne as a player, I just don't think he has the kind of skill set that you pay that kind of dough for unless you're a team already contending and looking for that piece to put you over the top.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • pujols2010
No more than 3 yrs..would do well as we need a cf and a leadoff
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

He brings everything the Mets need.

Speed
Defense
True lead off hitter

4 years 10 million a year is the limit for him.

It's a good starting point.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • jsmet
Mets do not need another strike out machine with no power they already have
Enough of that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metsnation

His career stats are not that good. Speed so he steals alot but does not translate to many 2B and his OBP is just OK. Has alot of Strikeouts. He can play the field well.

Another year of development and Denn Decker is a similar player.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • AdrianMonk

I'm against it because I'd rather see Matt den Dekker given a chance, and am concerned about getting wedded to a speed oriented 30 year old for too long a period.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Moses0507

thats why a 2-3 year deal is all I'd give.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Mort2112
Why didn't the Braves want him?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • bbyjean616
All of that is overrated. We have a minor league CF who cant it AAA pitching so forget about Bourne. Why get someone who can help when we have someone who will bring more of the same. If Bourne is a strike out machine Den Dekker is manufactuer
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • marvelousmarvin

Not worth the money he expects. Too many K's. A more expensive version of Mike Cameron with much less power.

Where's Coco Crisp?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metrebel

>> Why didn't the Braves want him?

They wanted to resign him. According to the Atlanta papers Boras told Wren it would take a contract that in total money and term would have surpassed what the Braves gave Upton. At that point Wren told him to try the FA and, no one has come close to paying Bourn that kind of money. Boras has said Bourn is an impact player. As usual Boras is smoking dope.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Mort2112
Even more reason to pass.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metrebel

>> Even more reason to pass.

He's not going to see that kind of money. Boras overvalued his player again. He'd be a good fit for the Mets, but only for a reasonable deal.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
Oh but you would rather have Niewnhuis and Den Dekker who strikeout 10x more and hit .220. Great.
  • Reply to this Message