• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• NIESE COULD NOW BE TRADED FOR VG OUTFIELDER
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin

I think signing Marcum will allow Sandy to work offers for Niese for a very good outfielder who would be under control for a couple of years. We have Wheeler in the wings and Mejia/Hefner/Carson could fill in as needed until Wheeler is ready. It's not like there is a pressing need for a 5th starter early in the season anyway.

Niese is very good and under control at a reasonable sum.....very attractive. Our outfield is screaming LOUSY at us and such a move adds a strength without detracting as much from the rotation, where we are a bit deeper.

I think this is now a strong possibility.

Edited 1/24/13   by  marvelousmarvin
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metsfansince89
if anything the marcum signing will open trades for marcum at the deadline. we must keep niese at all costs unless we get a monster package in return
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 547817.3 through 547817.4 were deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • jsmet

Niese is very good and under control at a reasonable sum.....very attractive. Our outfield is screaming LOUSY at us and such a move adds a strength without detracting as much from the rotation, where we are a bit deeper<

I agree trade Niese for a proven outfielder.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • danthemetfan
Niese is the only LH pitcher the Mets have locked up. While they have Santana this year, he will be gone either by trade or FA next year. It would be foolish to trade Niese unless the haul is big.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB
CANNOT trade Niese...unless we are getting something AMAZING in return, it makes no sense. We can't trade our 2 best pitchers away in the same off season...
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 547817.8 through 547817.9 were deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • Remember86
Trading Niese would be very shortsighted as far as I'm concerned. Shaun Marcum suffered from elbow tightness for two months last season. I might be wrong about this, but the fact he wasn't signed until January 24th, makes me wonder if other teams worry about his future arm health. I have no problem with the one year deal, but I certainly wouldn't trade Niese, who I consider the Mets number three starter AHEAD of Marcum, just because of the acquisition. Sure, we have other pitchers like Gee and Mejia. And we HOPE Wheeler can be our ace within a few years. But none of them have proven themselves as being capable of filling Niese's shoes....just yet.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • bbyjean616
Why would you trade our only lefty who comes very cheap and had an amazing season because we have Marcum for one year? This really doesnt make any sense. Yes we need an OF, but not at the expense of our ONLY lefty
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Niese is very good, but he isn't a monster, yet.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Johan doesn't count, right?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin

It "defies logic" to start the season with such a mediocre outfield.

Defies logic Haha!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metsfansince89
never said he is a monster. i said i'd only trade him if we get a monster package back in return
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin
There isn't anyone to fill the shoes of our mediocre outfield either.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • TheChosen1

For the right player(s) I wouldn't hesitate.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Kranesback
All signing Marcum means is that we won't see Wheeler til September
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin
So...if Niese isn't a monster, why would we expect a monster package in return?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • bbyjean616

Johan doesn't count, right?"

If he does make it through the season he will be gone at the ASB. This is his last year. Niese is locked up for a few. There is a great chance Niese is our ONLY lefty by July. Until Johan proves he's healthy he is our only lefty NOW

• Reply to this Message