• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• If we pick another Cecchini in the 1st RD, I'll be mad
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • KB24NYM
At least make it worthwhile to pass on a big FA.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • robrock30
Cecchini projects to be another Kevin Elster which is not worthy of a 12th pick IMO.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • kraneguy
How do you know?..he's 19 and played only a half season..have you seen him play?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • robrock30
I have read scouting reports.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • kraneguy
link to a scouting report that compares him to Kevin Elster or any other weak hitting shortstop..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • robrock30
He is projected as a .280 hitter, 10 -15 HR's, average defender at SS, average speed
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • kraneguy
link?.if he was 22 and stuggling I would understand your post..but man,the guy hasn't even played one full year of minor league baseball..give him a few years

Edited 1/24/13   by  kraneguy
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB
I'm not crazy about the Cecchini pick but I'd wait to see what he can develop into. If he is 23 and really isn't doing well at LEAST at AA, then I start to really judge.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • alex8686

The thinking with Cecchini is that an average major league shortstop has more value than average major leaguers at other positions.

Courtney Hawkins is a corner outfielder which are much easier to find.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • 86kid

>>>"I have read scouting reports."<<<

What is relevant is how he does, not what one or two scouts out of a bunch might have said about him.

The only way to truly know what a kid is or isn't, is to put in the time and patience to find out. He's been here for a mere heartbeat so far. You have to wait at least a couple years to gauge your picks. That's what player development is all about.

Some of the people on this site killed Omar for picking Ike and Harvey at the top of their draft. And they really killed Omar even more when Ike had a bad first season in the minors. But then Ike took off after that and never looked back. And Harvey was steller and is in the majors now.

It's about patience and not being reactionary. It a process, not a fast food order.

Edited 1/24/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Yes and Reese Havens projected to be who, Jeff Kent?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin
I'd hope for more from a higher 1st round pick.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • thagreat1
. the kid had to battle with injuries who's to say he cannot become the next kent he is still young
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • 86kid

>>>"He is projected as a .280 hitter, 10 -15 HR's, average defender at SS, average speed"<<<

//baseballnewshound.com/?p=2822

//baseballprospectnation.com/2012/05/01/scouting-report-gavin-cecchini-ss/

//bleacherreport.com/articles/1200227-gavin-cecchini-to-new-york-mets-video-highlights-scouting-report-and-analysis

//www.amazinavenue.com/2012/6/4/3064425/2012-mets-draft-scouting-report-gavin-cecchini

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Gepett0

while the consensus seems to be that he was fairly polished and "safe" for a hs pick, there was relatively little upside in comparison to the average 1st round hs pick, which tends to have more risk but also more possible reward

that is really why i continue to dislike the pick...while a league average short stop certainly has value, there is very little chance that he ever evolves into more

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • 86kid

From what Ive read, he's not seen as a potential superstar player, but could be a very good-to-All Star caliber player.

I think there are variations in the scouting reports - which one expects for all but the most elite of the elite prospects.

PLUS hitter. Line drive gap-to-gap. Only modest power.
Average-to-PLUS defender
PLUS speed
PLUS intangibles
PLUS leadership skills
PLUS work ethic

All of this could mean something, or nothing. I think we have to wait longer and find out.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Gepett0

yeah i just prefer that, if they going after a hs guy that is so far away, they go upside ...thats why i liked the nimmo pick

to me, if you are going to go safe, you may as well draft a college guy who will by that guy in 2 years instead of 5....i dont really think that gavin had more upside than the college players that were taken around the same time, even though hes not much more of a risk than those guys either (just will take much longer)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Gepett0
and to be clear i am not as low on gavin as some other posters, i just didnt really like the pick at the time and hes done little to change my mind though i obviously hope he works out
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metsfan541
I agree, Cecchini certainly doesn't look like a quality pick last year based on the scouting reports then and now. I still can't believe that he was the best prospect at the point in the draft. I didn't like the pick then, I haven't changed my mind. It is fair for fans right now to feel that way about the pick. Nobody is saying that he can't be a valuable major leaguer at some point but with that high a pick we should have made a pick the team and the fanbase would have a better comfort level around it. Too high a risk on that kid without the up side.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • _BigNick

Using your own .280/10-15, do you know how many MLB SS hit that last year? Four.

Starlin Castro, Jose Reyes, Ian Desmond, and Derek Jeter.

Anyway, BA ranked Cecchini as our best position player prospect, and second behind Wheeler before our acquisition of guys in the Dickey trade. I did not want Cecchini, but let's stop acting like he was an absolutely horrible pick and can't be valuable at a premium position, even with his bat.

• Reply to this Message