• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• ONLY ON THIS BOARD COULD PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT A POTENTIAL
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • saztastic2012
Signing, Bourn would make us better and if we dont lose the pick it is a no brainer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Moses0507

We will lose the pick.

Theres no way MLB gives us a break, not a chance.

Bourn makes us better, but not competitive.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • robrock30
Scott Boras is playing the Mets in an attempt to increase Bourn's value. He created this mess by holding out Mark Appel in last year's draft. He is now suggesting to the Met FO to protest the Mets losing the 10th protected pick which he caused because it suits him. The Met FO should have protested this months ago, but at that time they had no desire to sign a FA linked to compensation.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • gomets66

The Met FO should have protested this months ago, but at that time they had no desire to sign a FA linked to compensation. >>>>

maybe someone should have brought this up before players and owners agreed to it in the new cba.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • robrock30

The owners wanted this rule to keep the FA contracts lower. It is Scott Boras who is the problem, and the new draft slotting rules in the 1st 10 rounds are due to him also. He held out Mark Appel in the 2012 draft and therefore the Pirates were given the 9th pick and the Mets dropped from 10th to 11th.

MLB and the owners don't want Boras manipulating the markets which he is trying to do with the Mets by enticing them to join in the negotiations for Bourn. He wants a BJ Upton deal and can't get it without using the Mets as pawns here. He is therefore suggesting a rule change.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • gomets66
basically boras doing what he has always done.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • thagreat1

Theres no way MLB gives us a break, not a chance>>

Exactly..Mets getting a break for once is like Hel.K freezing over thrice.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012

How does adding a legit lead off hitter on top of Buck/TDA, Marcum and whatever else not make us a contender?

Would anything in your eyes make us a contender?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • frank2475
Are you kidding? The mets cannot contend with the Braves, Nats Or Philles becaisze of Marcum who is an injury waiting to happen and Bourn and TDA who we have no clue what his contribution will be. You really live in fantasy land.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012
How exactly does that work?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • elsid1986

*Would anything in your eyes make us a contender?*

I know not addressed to me. But I think they need TWO legit outfielders, they need at least 1 reliable bullpen arm, preferrably one that can close and they need some depth.

Edited 1/25/13   by  elsid1986
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • brianinwi
The entire Nats, Phillies and Braves teams to be killed in a mid-air plane collision.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012
OK well bringing in Bourn cuts the OFs needed in half, Maybe duda becomes that other guy maybe Baxter so I dont get anyone not wanting him because in their mind it does not make us a contender, Lets not improve our OF because it wont be enough that makes no sense, As far as the pen lets see what guys they bring in.

Edited 1/25/13   by  saztastic2012
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • bbjmparis
Who cares about the pick. Another Nimmo? Signing Bourn is a no brainer if you are trying to get better. If the Mets do sign him, I'll have to rethink my position that Fred and Jeff are not interested in winning. Since I'm fairly sure they're not, I doubt very much that we'll sign him. Just another tease...but...we'll see.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
We have to sign him before we know if we lose the pick or not.
Are you willing to take that chance? I know I'm not.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • elsid1986

*OK well bringing in Bourn cuts the OFs needed in half, Maybe duda becomes that other guy*

I could be wrong. And if I am I apologize. But didn't this thread start by you saying adding Bourne to TDA/Buck makes them a contender?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • bucknerismyhero
"How does adding a legit lead off hitter on top of Buck/TDA, Marcum and whatever else not make us a contender?"
I'm hoping that this is a joke or you work for the Mets, but even with a Bourn signing we are not close to contending. We have the worst outfield in baseball, and even with more innings from Harvey and Wheeler this year, we still will not be able to replace Dickey's contribution next year. We will finish with a record closer to the worst in baseball than winning our division.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
Never ask him what he posted earlier in a thread because he never remembers what he posts.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • robrock30

In response to your question I am reposting here from another thread

Stanford pitcher Mark Appel, who is being advised by Scott Boras, was forecast to be the No. 1 pick in the 2012 draft. The Houston Astros instead picked Puerto Rican shortstop Carlos Correa, who received a bonus of $4.8 million, far less than the $7.2 million slot for the first pick. Boras watched Appel slide to the eighth pick, chosen by the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The plummet lowered Appel's slot to $2.9 million, and the $ 3.8 million offer was not deemed enough by Scott Boras, and this is how the Mets lost the 10th pick for 2013.

Boras is probably now suggesting to the Met FO to protest losing a draft choice to MLB so that he can bid up the price on Bourn by using the Mets so that he can receive a BJ Upton type deal. (The Mets are being played by Boras)

The Harvard GM is playing catch up here as he 1) should have protested this rule months ago when the Met pick was lowered from 10th to 11th & 2) he should have made a run at Bourn earlier say when BJ Upton was signed & he is just waking up now because he is embarrased that the joke will be on him and not the OF once the season gets started.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • viper99

That is because a player like Bourn is good for a team that is 1 player away. Think about like the trade the Braves just made. Now they are an elite team.

The Mets are 4th place with or without Bourn. In fact, fixing the poison pen would help the Mets more than spending 15M per year for Bourn. So if the Mets take 15M and sign 2 relievers who could potentially close if needed and a Hairston type OF, the Mets would be better off.

Now, it is not that I wouldn't want Bourn but not if it cost the Mets the 11 draft pick. Now when you are building the farm and a better future.

Here is a list of CF who can potentially be FA after this season:

Alfredo Amezaga (36)
Rick Ankiel (34)
Coco Crisp (34) - $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Rajai Davis (33)
Jacoby Ellsbury (30)
Carlos Gomez (28)
Curtis Granderson (33)
Franklin Gutierrez (31) - $7.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Tony Gwynn Jr. (31)
Nyjer Morgan (33)
Andres Torres (36)
Chris Young (30) - $11MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout

So if we don't get Bourn this year, there are plenty of CF next year.

Right fielders

Carlos Beltran (37)
Endy Chavez (36)
Shin-Soo Choo (31)
Nelson Cruz (33)
David DeJesus (34) - $6.5MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout
Chris Denorfia (33)
Mark DeRosa (39)
Matt Diaz (36)
Jeff Francoeur (30)
Corey Hart (32)
Xavier Nady (35)