Message 547812.2 was deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • mets06ny
The Braves have even more K machines
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • abbymart
I'm not sold on Bourn, but he's probably had more plate appearances then anyone in baseball the last two years. In other words, he's got a lot of strikeouts, but with all those plate appearances I'd be willing to bet his strikeout rate is about league average
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • jsmet

I can see all the whiffboy threads on him now

Lol

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • jsmet

'm not sold on Bourn, but he's probably had more plate appearances then anyone in baseball the last two years. In other words, he's got a lot of strikeouts, but with all those plate appearances I'd be willing to bet his strikeout rate is about league average

He would be a replacement for jason bay with a few more hits.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nvmets10

If you perform in the areas you're supposed to, who cares about strikeouts? It seems like a ridiculous thing to worry about in today's game.

But strikeouts are actually NOT that big a problem for Bourn anyway. He's K'd at a rate of 20.3% over the past five seasons - not even in the top 100 of baseball. And the major league average over that period is 18.5%.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nvmets10
So did you just try to make the claim there that the only difference between Bay of the last few seasons and Bourn is a "few more hits"?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547812.9 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • MetObserver
Should throw in Dunn's 34% for good measure.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nvmets10
I'm not sure where that Wright percentage comes from. He improved quite a bit last season but over the past five, he's at 20.0% himself. So I guess they can both be whiffboys. And as long as David hits .300 with 20-25 HR and 100 RBI and Bourn steals 40 bases and plays outstanding defense, I won't care.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • MetObserver
When figuring that strikeout rate are you using At Bats or Plate appearances? Because at bats don't include the walk or sacrifices that you have.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nvmets10
Yea, it's plate appearances - I'm looking at Fangraphs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • 4545_ajd
Well I guess it is a good thing we didn't sign Josh Hamilton then... Boy did we dodge a bullet on that one. That would have been terrible. Much better off with Baxter and Niuewenhuis.

Edited 1/25/13   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547812.15 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • MetObserver
If using plate appearances Wright had a 16.7 last year. And an 18.5 lifetime %. David's highest was in 2010 when it was 24 % And the idiots here gave him that nickname after two poor years. That would be 2009,10 with 22%& 24%.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nvmets10
Oh ok, I see. I think, though, that since there was such a noticeable jump for him from his first five seasons to '09-'11, looking at the last handful is a better measure. He's not the same player.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • MetObserver
But you are leaving out last year and his 16%. So why pick those years that he struggled and say that shows where he is going and ignore his latest stat?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nvmets10
It was 21.7% in 2011 though as well. Three straight years of 21+% is substantial enough that it does need to be taken into consideration. But, again, as long as the guy does what he's supposed to elsewhere, it wouldn't bother me in the least. I'm a big Adam Dunn fan.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nvmets10
Oh no, those are included. In the measure I gave before, it takes the last 5 seasons so you get the 16 in 2008, the next three that jumped considerably and 2012 where it came back down. Taken together, it's 20%.
  • Reply to this Message