• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• What big game changer is in next years FA class...none!
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • mets06ny
Many on here keep saying don't sign this guy or that guy and save the money for next year and get a big OF. What players are you talking about because I don't see any in next years free agency either? Just wondering....am I missing something?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • MetObserver
There is something called 'Trades' that become easier if you have a better farm and can afford to pay the player.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • mets06ny
No kidding....but us in a position to trade for a big time game changer next year? lol not happening
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metsheart
Robinson Cano.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • mets06ny
Same people would be bashing saying why you giving a 31 year old a long term big contract. You can't win with half these people. Doubt the Mets would pay what he is going to end up getting. I can only imagine the deal he's gonna fetch.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metsheart
If Mets have opportunity to sign Cano for around what Reyes got last yr (6 yrs/ $106M) they should absolutely do it. Then trade Murphy for good OF.

The way things went this yr w/ some of the FAs everyone thought would be snatched up you never know how Cano's situation will unfold.

Cano was just a hypothetical answer to the OP question.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • mets06ny
No and I hear you. I was mainly addressing the outfield though since thats what people keep saying to save the money for. I'm not saying sign Bourn but would I be mad and vent if they did? Nope haha
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB
There is no way Cano is going to sign for that little. I really hope the Mets don't intend to go after him. His stats wouldn't be anywhere near what they are now if he played at CF with much less protection in the lineup. His 30 hrs would be 15-20 hrs. Plus, he will probably want close to 200m. There doesn't seem like there is much in next year's FA class so everyone will get overpaid most likely...look what Victorino, Melky, and Pagan got this year....might even be worse next year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metsheart
I got that you were talking about OF. But more than 1 way to go about improving the team. Like I said sign Cano & then trade Murphy for good OF. Believe it or not a lot of teams would really LOVE to have Murphy. Especially because he's still relatively cheap for a good young player that can hit 40 doubles. And in a more hitter friendly park might be able to get more HRs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • burningmyeyes
Stop it Mets06NY, you are RUINING Sandy's excuses for the Mets being horrible again next year! Please stop posting things on here that make sense.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metsheart
For $200M no I wouldn't want Cano.

But like I said -- the way things went this offseason who knows how much Cano will actually be able to get when all's said & done? If Yanks pass on him & he'd be willing to take around $20M/ yr for say 5 or 6 yrs so he could stay in NY Mets should grab him!

BTW Cano's agent is Boras.

Weirder things have happened.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metsheart
That reply meant for me?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB

"Weirder things have happened"

Sure...just not with BORASS lol...

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metsheart
How much was Bourn projected to be signed for?

Let's see what happens.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • _BigNick
There's some good OF to look in on pending extensions: Ellsbury, Gomez, Granderson, Choo. And of course the trade route.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • mets06ny
Like I said before though..there's only a couple we'd be interested in and since its so thin they're going to get contracts probably for more than what they're worth. Don't see the Mets winning or even getting into a bidding war for any of those guys. Its possible but doubtful. Would have liked to see them get at least one outfielder this year and then one next offseason. Won't matter what they do...people will jump all over it and talk about what a bad decision it was. I swear some people just sit on here all day waiting to make negative posts and comments. Its sad.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nvmets10

I see three available sources of predictions made in November for Bourn:

-David Lennon of Newsday: 5 years, $76 million
-Jon Heyman of CBS Sports: 5 years, $80 million
-Heyman's "unnamed expert source on the player side": 5 years, $83 million

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metsheart
So estimate was $15.2M - $16.6M/ yr for 5 yrs. Let's see what it actually turns out to be. Bet it's lower $$$ than that and/ or less yrs. And Bourn's a Boras client. Should be interesting.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • DFAB
I think it was 5+ years at 15m per...no WAY is he worth that much. At 15m per, he would have to settle for a 3 year deal. A 10-12m/yr would be more fair though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • edmet
ellsbury i think but he will cost a lot more than bourn. with the right $ deal, bourn is a good move. i think 3 to 5 yrs with an aav of $13m. i would do 5yrs/65m with a player opt out after yr 2. you know boras will opt out if his man is healthy, so we get him for 2 yrs at $26m, less if we backload.
  • Reply to this Message