• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• if the Mets are contenders in July, are we still Sellers?
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • thagreat1
With the addition of Marcum we suddenly have more trade when paired with the ever looming possibility Santana can revert back to ace form. If both these guys have revitalized years and we're legitimately contending. do we still look to trade them for prospects, stand pay, or suddenly become buyers?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • lllfxlll
we certainly weren't buyers last year
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metsheart
Definitely trade Santana if he's pitching like an ace. Mets farm still pretty thin in position players. Santana would fetch good haul of prospects (good LH SP always in demand). Santana's gone after this season so keeping him would be foolish IMO.

Marcum might be worth keeping as insurance if someone goes down. If he's pitching really well might be worth offering contract extension.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • nvmets10
It depends what legitimate contention really means. I think they'd have to at least be 10 games over .500 and in a playoff position to not trade guys like Santana and Marcum.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB
at the deadline, there are buyers, sellers, and then there are the Mets. it is safe to say that we most likely won't be buyers since I can't remember the last time we actually were buyers. I figure we will be sellers either way
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • burningmyeyes
Unless the Mets are around 10 games over .500 and in the thick of a playoff run, both Marcum and Johan will be gone if they are pitching well. Rightfully so! They are both warming up spots for Kids to fill. Hopefully they bring back a decent return to the farms.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • thagreat1
We weren't seriouslycontending Last year July. I mean keys say we're ten games over and A.D. game or two behind first place or even leading the pack. That's legit contending.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Absolutely. And they should be.

Braves and Nationals are both better teams, and it's not really close.

It was never about 2013 and it shouldn't be now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Kranesback
If the mets are contenders in July, you're asleep and dreaming.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • thagreat1
We were two consecutive terrible road trips away from being contenders last July. Is it really that impossible? Go root for the Yankees, teenage bandwagonner
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Deadtrek

Mets are contenders in July: lol lol lol lol lol

that's funny!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Kranesback
This team is much worse than last years...look at the pen and the outfield..and even the rotation is weaker.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • thagreat1

Much worse how? Sure Dickey is gone but up until July last year we consistently won games in between Dickey starts. So that shouldn't be a huge problem. Young Guys still learning who had borderline years (Davis, Murphy, tejada etc.) Will logically do better (especially in Davis case). We upgraded in the catcher position and for all we know healthy Marcum, Santana, and maybe even Wheeler make a huge difference.

Now I pose the question again, is it really that impossible?

I don't understand some of you negative guys. You hate the Mets that much get off the boards and throw on a dang yanks hat.

Edited 1/24/13   by  thagreat1
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547807.14 was deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • thagreat1
What's the point of being a fan if you refuse to see the glimmer of hope worst teams than us even have. God forbid we finish this year above .500. These guys might commit suicide.

Edited 1/24/13   by  thagreat1
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547807.16 was deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • 86kid

I would think that the Mets still need to be sellers at the deadline regardless. I mean, if they have a 10 game lead then that might be another story, but that isn't a realistic possibility at this point.

If they have been competitive in the first half and are a few game out, then I still think I'd opt to sell.

If Johan is having a good first half like he did last year, then you really should cash out on him. You might be able to get a top tier outfield prospect who can be good for us for 5-10 years. Maybe not a Myers, but maybe an Eaton+ type.

And with Marcum, well, he's coming back from injuries, but is younger than Johan, and has had a solid career, so I'd think that if he has a good half, we could land a good lower 2nd tier type kid(s) for him.

I don't think we can get caught up in trying to take fool's gold to the market this year - meaning buying into a team on the fringes of the race, only to be exposed later.

I think you have to look at not only at the number of games back you are, but how the team is playing for the weeks leading into the deadline, and what type of holes you have who's bandaids might fall off in the 2nd half, and what the teams around you with more capable talent can do as the year goes on.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Metsbert

~~~ With the addition of Marcum we suddenly have more trade when paired with the ever looming possibility Santana can revert back to ace form. If both these guys have revitalized years and we're legitimately contending. do we still look to trade them for prospects, stand pay, or suddenly become buyers? ~~~

GREAT question!!! I've been contemplating this all off-season, just for kicks. If the Mets were to somehow be in a pennant race by the All-Star Break, do we continue on this "rebuilding/retooling" road or become buyers? I remember some years ago, the Blue Jays had the same dilemma. They were in a rebuilding stage, and had a 4-5 year plan or something like that. Then all of a sudden, they find themselves in a pennant race. The fans were screaming at them to be buyers and find players to help them for a playoff push, but the front office refused, keeping firm with their rebuilding stage.

At that time, I agreed with their front office. I can't remember who was on that team, but obviously their rebuilding didn't work. But still, I would hate to be in a pennant race, become buyers and trade some or our prospects, because THAT'S what the other teams will be asking for, and come up short. Then we'll be back to square one.

I say, trade Johan if possible, but in a pennant race, keep him unless he's doing great and we get an offer we can't refuse. I would like to keep Marcum long term. I've always liked him, and think he can really help out. There are worse problems to have then having too many good pitchers. Worse come to worst, he can be a solid long man in the bullpen.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • lllfxlll
mets were 6 games over .500, and were 8 games over in late june. they were 3 games out of first place and tied for one of the wildcard spots. that sounds like legit contending to me.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • thagreat1
Late June is a long ways away from the trading deadline. We faded quickly by the trade deadline and were not contenders
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
This just keeps getting better. lol
Latest by METCITILES - 12:00 PM
satisfied Mets fan
Latest by roywriter - 11:58 AM
Are we ahead of the curve?
Latest by metrebel - 11:58 AM
EYoung: One Incredible trend and one projection
Latest by stearnsy12 - 11:57 AM
fernando rodney
Latest by murphstates - 11:55 AM
Hitting better? Why?
Latest by sb51 - 11:55 AM
Favorite Easter Basket Candy
Latest by AdrianMonk - 11:54 AM
This Day In Sports History
Latest by hlandrith - 11:48 AM
We have a big-time Closer problem going forward (IMO)...
Latest by roywriter - 11:40 AM
Factoids Redux
Latest by thagreat1 - 11:33 AM