Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• METS HAVE SINCERE INTEREST IN SIGNING BOURN LONG TERM
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • saztastic2012

Mets have sincere interest in signing Bourn to back-loaded deal
January 24th, 2013 12:56 pm
The Mets have sincere interest in signing free-agent OF Michael Bourn to a long-term deal that would likely be backloaded, a source told Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com.

Yesterday, a person familiar with the situation told him there is zero chance the Mets meet Bourn’s asking price, considering his agent is Scott Boras.

According to the Daily News, the Mets are petitioning MLB to view their top pick as protected, so they would not need to give up draft pick compensation if they sign him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 1/24/13   by  saztastic2012
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • brianinwi
Nooooooo......! Short-term, with no draft pick loss, OK. Long-term? Not worth it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • danthemetfan
Unlikely Boras lets Bourn sign a short term deal. Boras makes his clients hold out for big deals even to the detriment of his clients.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • 4545_ajd
I want to see the contract first before complaining or worrying about long term vs short term.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • brianinwi
"backloaded" makes me very, very nervous. Haven't we had enough of these?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • saztastic2012
42 stolen bases last year, 62 before that, 52 before that, The guys will be good for a few more years and if it is 15 per that is fine.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • RobfromLI

With the amount of money coming off the books Bourne would basically be our version of the Nats' Werth. He would just be a FA signing to placate fans and hopefully produce when/if the younger players come around.

I honestly feel this team is only missing one OF'er (I know we need three but one OF'er and two platoons would work well enough) and a bullpen that gels. With that I think we can compete with what I consider a good infield.

This is all dependent upon TDA coming up and being good. He doesn't have to win ROY but he has to be good.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metrebel

>> "backloaded" makes me very, very nervous. Haven't we had enough of these?

The Mets certainly have given enough contracts like that out. Bourns game is speed. You give him a 5 year backloaded deal and Bourn slows down, bang, another bad contract.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • RobfromLI

"You give him a 5 year backloaded deal and Bourn slows down, bang, another bad contract."

Statements like this confuse me. Every team in baseball has a "bad contract". It's part of todays game. The way to winning is to limit the bad contracts, work in some good contracts and of course, bring up talent from the farm that you control for a few years.

You simply can't avoid the potential "bad contract" in baseball.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • wrghtknght

You need to build the foundation before you build up, right? Problem I see with a lot of posters here is that they don't want this player or that player because he's not the final piece or that he's not the table-setter, or whatever reason we can rationalize not signing (which is the mindset the Wilpons are ok with). Fact is, no one player is going to make the difference. HOWEVER....if the Mets can lock up one of these players long-term.....they don't have to be the ONE player, rather they can be the ONE player out of the FOUR or FIVE they need.

So yeah, I'm good with this signing. Not getting Upton still hurts, though. Braves got him AND another player for five of their own. Means that the price for him alone DID go down somewhat.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metrebel

>> Statements like this confuse me. Every team in baseball has a "bad contract". It's part of todays game. The way to winning is to limit the bad contracts, work in some good contracts and of course, bring up talent from the farm that you control for a few years.

Every team gets their share of bad contracts for sure. Some just happen like Bay. Bourn's game is speed. Unless he's a very rare person at his age he's going to start slowing down. Depending on how the contract is backloaded they are those you have a very good chance of seeing them go bad from the start. Giving a player a long term big money contract whose game is based on speed, is a very dangerous contract.

>> You simply can't avoid the potential "bad contract" in baseball.

You can't avoid bad contracts today, but you can try to stay away from some you know from the beginng will turn out bad.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • abbymart
Bourn is really a hard player to evaluate. That OPS is nothing to get excited about, but he steals bases and even though he's led the league in caught stealing a few times his lifetime SB % is pretty good. A lot of his value also seems to be derived from his defense which has been spectacular some years and average others. My concern is that if he loses that speed there goes much of his value and we're stuck with a guy who doesn't get on base at a fantastic rate and has no power
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Kranesback
1. MLB will turn down the Mets "draft waiver" request.
2. Mets have perfect excuse for the fans.
3. Bourn signs with Seattle (or wherever).
4. Mets trade with team that signs Bourn for the outfielder he replaces.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Deadtrek
METS and SINCERE should never be used in the same sentence....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Kranesback
Consider the source.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • skorpio520
from my understanding the mets are gonna have to show strong interest for the league to even consider having their 11th pick protected
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012
Right they can agree to a contract conditioned on the pick being safe.
  • Reply to this Message