Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Just read this
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • skorpio520

"
Posted January 23, 2013 11:35 PM
This is quite interesting on two counts. 1)The Mets actually are slotted 10th in the draft process as a result of their 2012 finish. They pick 11th only because the Pirates were awarded an additional pick in the first round that happens to be before the Mets are on the clock. Therefore,if the spirit of the rule is recognized,the ten worst teams chance to improve was designed to be protected. Good sense tells me the Mets have a good shot here. In all probability,to save embarrassment of this possible loophole in the CBA,expect Selig to protest. This could be resolved by an independent arbitrator who's palms wont be greased by used car salesman, Bud!
2) The Mets initiating such action might signal an intention to lock up a free agent who otherwise would cost a draft pick. Enter Michael Bourne?????? Stay tuned!!!"

The rules say the first ten picks are protected, The mets are actually slotted tenth.but are picking 11th because of the pirates.
therefore they are still a top ten pick,just picking at no 11 and this shouldnt apply to free agents in terms of losing that pick.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547789.2 was deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • skorpio520
the dark clouds of the wilpons. karma over the ponzi scheming lol
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • edmet
i agree with you, but i am not sure they will pay for bourn anyway. i hope it gets resolved soon, we can really use bourn if the price is right. dont forget selig is pals with fred and sandy. but 19 teams behind mets might protest. i think the union and boras would support mets. if selig protests, give him the pitchfork in the you know where!

Edited 1/24/13   by  edmet
Edited 1/24/13   by  edmet
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • skorpio520
well im thinking theres a chance numbers have already been traded and maybe even agreed on if they are going through this now.
just the pick is the obstacle now.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • edmet
hope you are right. wright and ike could be 100 rbi men with bourn leading off. and the improved D would help pitchers immensly.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • 4545_ajd

" but 19 teams behind mets might protest."

Doesn't really affect them since the Mets wouldn't sign Bourn if they don't get this ruling, so no chance are they moving up either way.

Edited 1/24/13   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547789.8 was deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • skorpio520

theres not just holes but black holes in this cba thing.
basically,if theres a series of 6 years of weak draft classes.A no 3 pick team can pick,not sign,do that for 6 years and by the time year 7 comes around they have 7 of the top ten picks in a strong draft class.
dont get me wrong, i dont see a team ever doing that,maybe the marlins,but it could happen.

the top ten SLOTTED picks should be protected.no matter what.

if not,then in nreath your saying your trying to protect the ten teams with the worst records,but in the next,with the same rules,your hurting them.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metrebel

>> I don't think they would waste the time and effort they are if they had no intention of trying to do something. It has also been said Bourne may consider a 1 year deal ??

I can't see the Mets going through all this unless they have talked to Boras and perhaps a deal is in place. If they don't sign the kid, protected or not they have the 11th pick. Why try to get the pick protected if you don't know you're going to sign him. There a thread on the board that the Mets have asked about giving up a 2nd round pick. That they might be doing if they didn't know they couldn't sign Bourn. Why even ask.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metsheart

"A no 3 pick team can pick,not sign,do that for 6 years and by the time year 7 comes around they have 7 of the top ten picks in a strong draft class.
dont get me wrong, i dont see a team ever doing that,maybe the marlins,but it could happen.

the top ten SLOTTED picks should be protected.no matter what"

Example:

#1 overall pick = Astros
#2 overall pick = Cubs
#3 overall pick = Rockies
#4 overall pick = Twins
#5 overall pick = Indians
#6 overall pick = Red Sox
#7 overall pick = Marlins
#8 overall pick = Royals
#9 overall pick = Blue Jays
#10 overall pick = Mets

If the 1st 5 of those top 9 teams fail to (or opt not to) sign their guy then the next yr draft might look like this if they all finished in the same order again:

#1 overall pick = Astros
#2 overall pick = Astros
#3 overall pick = Cubs
#4 overall pick = Cubs
#5 overall pick = Rockies
#6 overall pick = Rockies
#7 overall pick = Twins
#8 overall pick = Twins
#9 overall pick = Indians
#10 overall pick = Indians
#11 overall pick = Red Sox
#12 overall pick = Marlins
#13 overall pick = Royals
#14 overall pick = Blue Jays
#15 overall pick = Mets

Teams that got bumped out of top 10 should be protected. So worst teams can try to improve now without losing the opportunity to improve in the future too. So in this example Red Sox, Marlins, Royals, Blue Jays & Mets should be protected the following yr. Everybody still gets the same # pick they would've had but worst TEAMS still get to try to improve without penalty of losing a draft pick for signing FA.

Edited 1/24/13   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/31/13
  • edmet
fair point that other teams dont move up if we dont sign bourn, but at least teams in our division would like to stick it to us. we would do it to them.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/31/13
  • 4545_ajd

"A no 3 pick team can pick,not sign,do that for 6 years and by the time year 7 comes around they have 7 of the top ten picks in a strong draft class.
dont get me wrong, i dont see a team ever doing that,maybe the marlins,but it could happen."

Actually it can't, if a team fails to sign their pick twice that pick is gone, so the most picks they can have in the top 10 is two.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
JSAngel: Trout a Fraud
Latest by comeagain - 5:15 PM
Secret Service Threatened Mr. Met's Life
Latest by MetObserver - 5:14 PM
Factoids Redux
Latest by thagreat1 - 5:12 PM
Secret Service threatened to shoot Mr. Met
Latest by dumpsandy - 5:07 PM
Dickey went limp
Latest by govmule72 - 5:03 PM
Cubs
Latest by metsheart - 5:02 PM
Home Field Disadvantage
Latest by elguapo111 - 4:47 PM
Favorite Easter Basket Candy
Latest by jereviens - 4:34 PM
Remember when we were 0-3 and everybody overreacted?
Latest by roywriter - 4:24 PM
It's still early
Latest by sheadro - 3:59 PM