• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• martin prado
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • edmet
i didnt realize prado is only 29. his offensive stats last yr were close to upton, less hr but more rbi and fills 3b need, plus the prospects not bad for snakes. i was thinking flores for pollack, but i thought prado was older.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • murphstates
I'm sure the Braves didn't want to give up Prado who is a very good, underrated player, but they got back Johnson who had better run production in 200 less ABs. To me, Delgado was the big piece, the other guys were blocked by young players better than them.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • MetObserver
Prado can play all of the infield positions and corner outfield too. If not their regular 3rd baseman he would be very valuable on the bench as a super utility player.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metrebel

>> I'm sure the Braves didn't want to give up Prado who is a very good, underrated player, but they got back Johnson who had better run production in 200 less ABs. To me, Delgado was the big piece, the other guys were blocked by young players better than them.

I agree the Braves didn't want to give up Prado, but the D'Backs wanted help of the left side of the infield, and Wren wasn't giving up Simmons. It could be that Wren figures with Prado being a FA in 2014 they wouldn't be able to resign him with the money they have out there. For sure Delgado was the main piece in the deal. They have better propects blocking the kids they gave up. The Braves are a young team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metsnation
FA probably did play a big role in moving him
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • MetObserver

Johnson's fielding for his career is .930 which isn't gold glove potential. Prado at third averages about .964. And will be replacing Chipper's .954.

Either way the Braves have taken a big hit at third base on both offense and defense. Unless they have a big replacement in the wings.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metrebel

>> FA probably did play a big role in moving him

I think it did. If it came down to Prado or Simmons if certainly did play a big part. According to the Atlanta papers the Braves tried to trade for Upton in the off-season, and the D'Backs were adamant that Simmons would be in the package. That ended the talkes. I have no doubt they didn't want to trade Prado, but I think Wren did the smart thing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • MetObserver
Braves will really be increasing their payroll next year with the addition of Upton. In 2014 they have 4 players available for FA and another 11 going to arbitration.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metrebel

>> Johnson's fielding for his career is .930 which isn't gold glove potential. Prado at third averages about .964. And will be replacing Chipper's .954.

You have to give up something to get something. They weren't going to trade Simmons. They did lose some infield defense, but did pick up oufield defense.

>> Either way the Braves have taken a big hit at third base on both offense and defense. Unless they have a big replacement in the wings.

It will be interesting to see how they fill the hole at 3b. They are used to getting good production with the bat and good defense out of that position. Most likely they will use the kid Francisco against righty pitching. He has a lot of pop, but his fielding % is.935.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • metrebel

>> Braves will really be increasing their payroll next year with the addition of Upton. In 2014 they have 4 players available for FA and another 11 going to arbitration.

I'm surprised they can spend this much money. I guess McGurik cleared it. Somewhere they will have to come up with more. I believe McCann is a FA next year and I doubt they will try to resign him. They have this kid Bethancourt who is the 7th ranked catching propect in MLB. They have a number of kids they should try to extend, but I don't know where the money is coming from for that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • murphstates
Johnson's career fielding percentage at third is .952 and his offensive production last season was better than Chipper's.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • MetObserver

Correction his total fielding percentage is .954 which included some outfield, and 1st base play. His career fielding percentage for 3rd base only is .930.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/johnsch05.shtml

Johnson's line: .281 .326 .451 .777

Chipper's line: .287 .377 .455 .832

Show me where the better is.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Bravesupnorth

The Braves Payroll actually won't really be affected by this. Wren wasn't likely to sign Prado, and it doesn't look good for McCann unless he takes a pay cut. That's at least 30million between them, and instead they have Upton for 14.25.

Also, trading Prado who wanted 7mil in arbitration for Upton's 9.25 million works out pretty well too.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • MetObserver

Now yes but what about next year? 4 free agents and 11 more going into 1st or 2nd years of arbitration.

Free agents McCann, Hudson, Maholm, O'Flaherty
#3 arb Janish
#2 arb Heyward, Medlen, Venters, Martinez,
#1 arb Kimbrel, Freeman, Beachy, Walden, Schafer, Francisco.

Tell me that you don't have to keep some of them and that it will cost money. Looks like the bravos will be going over that hundred million mark soon for only the third time in like 14 years.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Bravesupnorth
The Braves will definitely have to do some reevaluating, but I think the new MLB tv deal is something they are likely counting on. The good thing about Liberty Media is that they let the Braves spend exactly what they make, so that extra money each team gets will likely be put into the payroll. They can definitely use the extra 15-20mil or so that each team gets.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
The brilliance of Kenboswell
Latest by MetObserver - 5:24 PM
Lets get at least 1 game..
Latest by comeagain - 5:23 PM
JSAngel: Trout a Fraud
Latest by comeagain - 5:15 PM
Secret Service Threatened Mr. Met's Life
Latest by MetObserver - 5:14 PM
Factoids Redux
Latest by thagreat1 - 5:12 PM