• KB24NYM

Johan
Niese
Harvey
Marcum
Gee

+Wheeler

= SOLID.

Heyman says we're still working on Bourn and the BP.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • murphstates
Excellent. Of all the veteran starters left he was the one I wanted.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • 86kid

Wonder what the terms of the deal are ? But this seems to be a good pick up. The guy has a good career ERA of 3.75.

Plus, if we get to July and are out of the race ( which seems likely ) then Marcum will make another nice trade chip for Sandy to flip - assume Marcum has a good 1st half.

This helps out a lot I think, and this move, in my view, is further reason why I don't get overly animated about a lack of moves until after the off-season is actually over.

And if rumors are true regarding Bourn, then that will be even further reason... But I don't want to lose a draft pick signing him.

Edited 1/24/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB
WE FINALLY GOT ONE!!!!!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Melo15nym
This is the guy I wanted. Good move.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • KB24NYM
1 year deal
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • nvmets10
Yea, this is absolutely a good one. When he does pitch, Marcum is probably as good as any #3 starter, if not a 2.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • fargol

Good news. Still fairly young, nice AL ERA and WHIP.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • mets06ny
Great move. Out of all the pitchers he was the one I wanted. Solid signing!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • murphstates

Now what I'm waiting for is all the posters who have been ridiculing those of us who have been crying for them to sign an outfielder to come on this thread and criticize the FO for signing a player who will not make them a contender to a one-year deal.

After all, the same criteria applies. If not signing Hairston, Young, Ludwick, et al, is the right move because they don't elevate the team to contender status and are not long-term building blocks then surely it's foolish to waste money signing a veteran pitcher to a one-year deal.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • saztastic2012
Very solid.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • robrock30
Congratulations! I like this signing, he knows how to pitch. I remember watching him with Toronto pitching well against the Yankee lineup mixing his pitches with good location. If he can stay healthy he should be very good.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • drjoe807
Great Move!!!! Finally!!!!! NOW GET BOURN!!!!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • abbymart
Don't see how anyone can be negative about this move. Proven solid starter
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • 86kid

>>>"Don't see how anyone can be negative about this move. Proven solid starter "<<<

I am sure there will be critics. They're darned if they do, and darned if don't with some of the people. And I assure you that if Marcum has a bad year, some of the critics that demanded Sandy sign Marcum or another starter of his level, will bash him for this.

As you say Marcum is solid, and should give us solid innings. And also, if it comes to that, he could make a very nice trading chip come July too.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB
I think I see the problem with you as a poster Murph. You use your brain too much. If you use common sense and logic too much, along with avoiding being hypocritical, you will be attacked. Gosh darn you.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • thebobymon
Here come the playoffs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • brianinwi

Good job, Sandy. I saw Marcum pitch a lot last year in Milwaukee. Very solid pitcher -- kind of like a righthanded Jonathan Niese.

This is a big help, not only for the rotation, but also potentially for the bullpen as well, since it means Mejia or Gee might be available for relief duty. Takes some of the pressure off Harvey, too.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • thagreat1
I can cosign that sentiment. We have a very very solid rotation if everyone and I mean everyone stays healthy.
  • Reply to this Message