• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Anyone know about Pocket watches?
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • CoBrA
So I am thinking about getting a pocket watch. I really like those antique pocket watches with the really nice mechanism, lid cover and roman numerals, etc but I really don't know what to look for. Like do they still make modern ones that look and work like the ones from the late 1800's? Would I need to get one from the late 1800's because they are the only ones that are worth getting due to the craftsmenship? What maker should i look to get? I really don't want to spend like $600 on one but wouldn't mind spending a few hundread. I just want one that is made well, has the seconds window, lid, roman numerals etc. Do i go to some watch store to get one? would it be better to get one on ebay? Is it better to get one from the 1920's rather than the 1890's? if they are the same just that one is older is it better just to get the newer one since it would be cheaper? Info and advice would be greatly appreciated...
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547766.3 was deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • CoBrA
thanks for the link
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • CoBrA
so you think the ones from the early 1900's and late 1800's are better with the stem wind? Do you know which makers are considered good? or is it that almost any maker back then would be good enough to produce a good pocket watch?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin

Here are 2 more sites:

http://mb.nawcc.org/forumdisplay.php?11-American-Pocket-Watches

This one is an online seller. http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/walthamserials.html

I would buy my watch on eBay from a seller with a near 100% rating and at least several hundred reviews. Confirm the watch works. There are many good American pocket watches from Waltham, Illinois Watch, Elgin and Hamilton, among others.

You may also find a nice watch from Patek Philippe or Omega amongst the Swiss makers, but American made watches were really classics. The solid gold watches obviously will be more expensive, as will one with a chain.

Just do an eBay search for pocket watches and you'll be able to easily browse hundreds quickly to see what you like. I buy almost all my vintage wristwatches on eBay. You'll find a fine pocket watch on eBay in your price range.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Rule of thumb...more jewels, the better. The industrial rubies or sapphires in the movement reduce friction, making for a more accurate and longer lasting watch. 17 jewels are the norm in wristwatches. Pocket watches, not my thing, may have less, but have less complications (watch gimmicks) and have more basic movements. Really cool is if you find one with a chime, aka repeater.

Edited 1/24/13   by  marvelousmarvin
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547766.8 was deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • CoBrA
hey marvin thanks for the info. I got a question, the link that lou posted, is that a good website and the stuff they sell in there seem like its a good deal? Also are the older watches like from the 1900's are they better than the modern wind up watches that are swiss made or english made? Because that other website seems like they seem modern ones made from the swiss etc and I don't know if an older watch from the early 1900's is going to be built or work way better than a modern pocket watch. Whats a decent price to pay for good quality?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • FridaGates
hi.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Ultimate_Lou2013
...all I did was a search because I was looking at one of those a few weeks ago and was thinking of getting one myself...I don't know anything about them but I remember my grandpa had one and it very cool...it disappeared after he passed away...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin

Well, I am not the best person to ask because I don't collect pocket watches. I think that site is good for information. You have to understand that my interest is vintage watches. With pocket watches you are looking at an antique, not some crappy Chinese pocket watch imitation or ghastly, with a quartz movement.

The American railroaders all kept the rails running on time with their railroad pocket watches. Some of these are over 100 years old. Many have beautiful engraving. There's nothing like popping open a pocket watch with a decorative spring cover. American watchmaking in the 19th and early 20th century rivaled that of Switzerland. They are really an authentic piece of history that you can own. All the great American makers are gone now. So I am not a fan of a new pocket watch. It means nothing. Older watches, as long as they are running, are a better choice IMHO. The ones that need repair run the risk of a broken balance staff that can be costly or impossible to fix. Other repairs are more easily done by a jeweler. Avoid listing that say "for parts"

I'd buy an American made antique or vintage watch from the brands I listed, on eBay. If it comes broken, eBay will back you up and get you a refund. The Swiss watches are going to be much more costly. I think you can get a nice vintage pocket watch on eBay. Here's an example...a work of art

ht tp://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-SOLID-9K-GOLD-1900-VINTAGE-15J-6S-WALTHAM-OPEN-FACE-/150981819004?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item232737ba7c

You must get one that is running and serviced. Avoid solid gold as the gold value drives up the price. I think you will have to spend $200-$400 for a nice watch. Post a link on eBay that catches your eye and I will tell you what I think. Search eBay for each brand I mentioned earlier.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547766.15 was deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Was it government conspiracy to allow radium to be used to luminous watch numbers? That's what I want to know.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 547766.17 through 547766.18 were deleted
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin
You're right! We should do commerce trading pelts, salt and spices!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin

Didn't Capt Spaulding have a pocket watch? Or maybe Rufus T Firefly.

Say, did Rufus get pensioned and retired to Red Button's place at Century Village?

• Reply to this Message