• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Justin Upton to ATL? A terrifying possibility.
  • To:All
  • 1/23/13
  • sheadro
It seems as though the Braves are serious about landing Upton and have made a serious offer which some folks believes is Teheran + 2 or 3 prospects. Meanwhile the Mets...well...I think they have new batting practice hats or something. If this trade goes down, I don't see how Mets fans can downplay it or ignore that the offseason has gone about as bad as possible for the Metsies. What's going to be the defense? "He's not that good"? "They paid too much"? Slice it however you want, he is a guy the Mets needed, and will be a huge difference maker if he ends up on the rival Braves.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
I wouldn't go as far as say terrifying but yes as a mets fan and watching teams like the nationals and braves add talent as the mets sit back and watch with little comments added from Sandy saying they have not given up on 2013 etc.... it's all getting old, it's time the mets do less talking and more acting on improving the club for 2013 and beyond. The Wilpons need to start acting like a big market club who wants to be in the playoffs and more each year, it's just been long enough and if they really do nothing else of value this year before the season starts than I really will be at a loss for words to describe my feeling for this franchise and how it has and continues to be run.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • Melo15nym
Heyward and J. Upton in the same outfield is scary.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • metthunder

try this stat from a tweet by @Ken_Rosenthal

One concern if #Braves get JUpton: Strikeouts. Consider these totals from '12: B.J. 169, Uggla 168, Heyward 152, Freeman 129, Justin 121.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • 86kid

What we need to do is be worrying about getting our own house in order, and not what the Braves do or don't do, or keeping up with the Jones'. They are head of us regardless at this point. That is something the Mets don't have any control over what they do.

Personally I think Upton is overrated, and I wouldn't give up my top prospects to get him. If the cost in talent were greatly reduced and/or included some of or lower level guys, I'd wouldn't mind having him, but not if it means gutting a farm that is still thin in the upper levels, and that we have only just begun to get on track.

I'd rather try and field an entire team at some point, rather than just having one of two stars, and a bunch of holes around them because we have neither the prospect depth, nor the money to to fill them.

I also have my reservations about how Upton's already modest numbers would play out here in Citi, and under the pressure of NYC fans and media - something he hasn't been all the impressive in handling in Zona according to some.

Edited 1/23/13   by  86kid
Edited 1/23/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • jt28da
Justin and BJ are very competitive with each other... If the braves were to get both, push the right buttons.... Wow for the rest of the division......
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • 86kid
Both are overrated in my view - especially BJ.
I'd take Justin if the price were right for us, but I wouldn't have given BJ that money.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • Gepett0
even if they get j. upton, they are still the 2nd best team in the east behind the nats
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld
Might be true, but that makes the fight for second meaningless and thus the next few seasons for the Mets.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • Kranesback
If I'm the Braves, I'm not worried about Ks...remember they'll be seeing a lot of the Mets bullpen.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • nvmets10
Jeez, the more I read, the more likely it sounds this is going to happen. What a disaster it'd be.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • AdrianMonk
I couldn't care less. He's overrated.

Edited 1/23/13   by  AdrianMonk
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • Remember86

Nationals got Denard Span. Phillies added Ben Revere. Braves may add Upton. The Mets? We MAY sign Hairston to add to Duda, Niewenhuis and Baxter. Whoopdeedo!

Listen, do I think either ONE of Span, Revere or Upton would make us contenders this season? No. The Mets need bullpen help. They need at least two outfielders. They probably need another back end of the rotation starter (depending on how Wheeler, Harvey and Niese progress). By my count, they're at least five players away from contending for postseason. But as others have said, you start with one, then you get the second etc. These should all be guys who have a healthy future ahead of them. I truly thought that aside from dealing at least one of Wright or Dickey, we would have added one of the necessary outfield pieces for the future. The winter isn't over, but time is starting to dwindle.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld

He's only 24, and would be a part of the future solution... But it won't happen.

And if he does go to the Braves it does present a problem for this team and its future, since yet another talented player goes to a division rival for the long term.

It's not good. This isn't the time to go crazy, but they have to do something- Otherwise stockpiling young talent will be for naught.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547756.15 was deleted
  • 1/23/13
  • thegooch42

lol at people calling him overrated

Is he the 2nd coming of jesus? no, but hes an extremely effective middle of the order bat when he has guys around him who can play(heyward/bj upton/simmons/uggla/freeman)

But you guys can keep looking at hrs/rbis/ba. as your go to stat.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • edmet
so j. upton is the one to have, fewer k's. 120 something k's is respectable in today;s game.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • edmet
hairston signed with cubs! but the darnaud trade was a good one, its not like sandy hasn't done anything. he has promised he will do something on outfield, 5th starter and bp. i wouldn't worry about 5th starter, OF is the critical need.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • jsmet

Justin Upton to ATL? A terrifying possibility.

It is terrifying reality now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • AdrianMonk

Oh, the humanity!
  • Reply to this Message