• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Young gets less than Bonilla- But not good enough to be here
  • To:All
  • 1/23/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Love it. Instead of just admitting that this ownership doesn't really want to spend any money, people are justifying this inaction in new and exciting ways:

1) Welll he isn't much better than what we have!
2) But, he used a racial slur! He committed a CRIME! No athletes are signed after doing that!
3) He doesn't make this team much better anyway!

The first two points are laughable and shouldn't even be discussed by a rational human being, but the last one is true- His presence does NOT make this team a playoff contender. However, he's only 27 and he's ridiculously inexpensive. He represents someone who could be a more permanent fixture on the team if he played well... He could have been offered an extension to keep him here for the long term. If he declined, the Mets could have used him as valuable trade bait. If he didn't work out, not much money was lost. I don't see the downside here... Yet, the usual crowd is here defending it as always.

Feel free to add other lame excuses to the list if I have forgotten them.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • DFAB
the payroll can get cut to 30m and some here would STILL defend the wilpons and say they are NOT "cost cutting" because after they dropped another 40m, the spent 600k on a 42 y/o sp that they didn't "have to."
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • ExileMetsFan

When you put it like that.....

.....it makes me want to cry.

I give up. I shall remain in exile.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • gilforhof
So disgustingly true.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • ManWithNoName

" I don't see the downside here... "
He's a player that's pretty terrible and you want him. You don't see any downside? Every move they make gets criticism. If they sign him and he's bad, because he will certainly be because he's basically been nothing else with little exception.

He's a less-powerful, worst-fielding Scott Hairston with baggage. He's bad, and the only thing he basically does is hits a few homeruns, but drags that down with the lack of other XBH and just general terrible-ness.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • knarf0516
He's not terrible. He's an average/slightly above average major league outfielder. However, IMHO, the baggage far outweighs the talent.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • saztastic2012
Did you happen to heat they just signed Marcum filling our rotation and have asked MLB to protect their first round pick so they can sign Bourn.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • govmule72

"He's a player that's pretty terrible and you want him."

Pretty terrible? How can this be taken seriously?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • govmule72

"However, IMHO, the baggage far outweighs the talent."

How?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • govmule72

"Did you happen to heat they just signed Marcum filling our rotation and have asked MLB to protect their first round pick so they can sign Bourn."

AGAIN...he costed $750,000 - so doing both was basically the same thing. We don't need one OF, we need 3.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • MetObserver
Are you practicing your hyperbole?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • saztastic2012

What part of he wont even be ready by opening day and coming off injury do you not understand?

BTW What no one who is allup in arms about this fails to understand is we are now down to one, 1 a single open roster spot,

Maybe the Phils can afford to use up a roster spot and take a chance on an OF coming off injury that is not expected to even be ready come opening day.

This is not about the 750K but it is about roster spots and what they want, They are clearing looking at Bourn and I am sure have the trade wires working, Something you and I are not kept informed on untill they become reported rumors.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • ManWithNoName
"He's an average/slightly above average major league outfielder."
No.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • ManWithNoName
I know, the chase after him in FA only proves any point you may make. He's bad.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • knarf0516
Yes.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • _BigNick
No. Stop.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • knarf0516
Yes. Begin.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • _BigNick
I hope the Phillies give Young tons of playing time so I have many lols.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • knarf0516
Knock yourself out.
  • Reply to this Message