Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• METS CONSIDERING BOURN IF THEY GET AN ADDITION OF
  • To:All
  • 1/23/13
  • saztastic2012

Mets have discussed Michael Bourn
January 22nd, 2013 11:58 pm
OF Michael Bourn remains on the free agent market. However, if the Mets sign him, they have to give up their first round pick in 2013.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan. 22: The Mets have been internally discussing Bourn quite a bit. (Heyman, MLB Network).

Matthew Cerrone, MetsBlog.com:

Jan. 22: The way I understand it, the Mets will consider giving up a draft pick to sign Bourn only if they make another significant acquisition in the outfield. I’m guessing here, but I interpret that to mean Bourn (on his own) is not worth the pick, since his upside will not make a big enough impact alone. However, if another outfielder is acquired, adding Bourn to the mix might make a difference, and might be worth passing on a top pick. It’s all a long shot, though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it sounds like if they get another OF they will give up the draft pick to sign Bourn, Go get Upton then Bourn and we are a contender.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • bbyjean616
Well they just missed Delmon Young for 25 cents. For a team that seems to be tightening the belt, these comments seem to contradict their actions. Its mid Jan, we havent even signed Harriston. We hear how they're interested in this guy and that guy and never actually make a move. Sounds like typical Wilpon smoke screen
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • nvmets10
It'd be fantastic but seems SO SO SO far out of the realm of possibility right now. To go from trading your Cy Young winning ace and making no acquisition whatsoever all offseason to trading for Upton and signing Bourn right before Spring Training begins would perhaps be the biggest surprise in the history of the organization.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • wrghtknght
I will be absolutely shocked if they even get the ONE outfielder, let alone that and Bourn. It is a smokescreen and nothing more.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • saztastic2012

Someone made a very good point why would Jewish owners want someone who has made anti Jewish comments?

Would black owners want a member of the KK.K on their team?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • saztastic2012
Keep in mind trading Dickey was not about trading away talent but rather getting a stud catcher and top pitching prospect.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • bbjmparis

If we got Upton AND Bourn, we still wouldn'y be a contender. To be a contender we'd need a lot better BP than we have, and a better starting rotation. One healthy, proven major league caliber starter, (Niese) isn't a contenders pitching staff.

We would be a heck of a lot better than we are. Maybe a .500 club instead of a 95 loss club. However, it's not going to happen. The Wilpons won't even spring for the pocket change it takes to sign Hairston. To think they'd sign either Upton or Bourn, let alone both, is laughable.

As for the draft pick, who cares. You wouldn't sacrifice this years Nimmo...who can't even hit in Brooklyn...for a Bourn? However, I'm sure it will be part of Sandy's excuse for doing nothing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • saztastic2012

And you know the young guys plus the guys we will be bringing in wont be a good pen?

Clearly you dont want them to contend, Not sure why but if you think for one second Bourn and Upton would not make this team a contender well I just dont know what to say anymore.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • govmule72

"Someone made a very good point why would Jewish owners want someone who has made anti Jewish comments?"

...because people actually do change sometimes...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/187992811.html

He would have been a really good pickup.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • bbjmparis
Trading Dickey was about keeping payroll down in 2013...period. The stud catcher has a torn thumb, bad back, and gimpy knee. The pitching prospect is in A ball and is years away...if he turns out to be any good, which is against the odds.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • reinman43
That stud catcher you mentioned even with those ailments would still be better than Thole.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • saztastic2012
Not saying he would not have been but I can understand why they might not have wanted to go after him, Then again you dont know they did not, Maybe he does not want to play for Jewish owners, Maybe he rather play in NY or maybe just maybe they dont feel he changed, Who knows? But you can not say and neither can I, I agree he might have been a good pick up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • saztastic2012

Dude your hate for the Wilpons has made you clueless, Clueless beyound that of a 13 year old from the burbs trying to be hood. The Mets picked up payroll in Buck and Dickey was due just five mill, I think with Buck it was close to a wash, Maybe a mill or two but that is nothing, It was about the players we got.

To be honest I have not seen anything of value from you in months and this is just another idiotic post.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • OrangeandBlue86
Im sorry but that sounds insane to me. SO basically Sandy is saying we can have a good 2/3 of an outfield and maybe even have a longshot of ocntending this year or he will do nothing and surrender the season. Isnt he the one in charge of getting an outfielder? he acts like its out of his hands. he let most of the available ones go to other teams. So whatever is left take and sign bourn and be done with it or else u are surrendering the season. Isnt it in your hands sandy?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547741.15 was deleted
  • 1/23/13
  • fargol

"Clearly you dont want them to contend, Not sure why but if you think for one second Bourn and Upton would not make this team a contender well I just dont know what to say anymore."

Getting those two would bring us a lot closer to being a contender, but if the pen doesn't improve and the rotation is stable and good (Santana/Niese/Gee/Harvey/???) we have a decent chance.

I'm currently happy with the infield; guardedly optimistic about the rotation; very guardedly optimistic that the pen is better (it almost HAS to perform better). With Bourn and some other established player, the OF could be at least average.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • 58pwrhtr

I would be thrilled if the Mets pulled off Bourne and Upton, but it doesnt make any sense. First off there is no combination of dollars that doesnt pump the payroll up way beyond their reported limits. You are looking at adding at least 12-15 million maybe more in payroll for those 2.

2nd, while I would be thrilled and would love to see a lineup with Bourne, Murphy, Wright, Davis, Upton, Duda, (the power potential is scary), signing those 2 would only make sense by adding at least 2 more bullpen arms (more payroll) and at least 1 quality starter (Saunders Pavano), which again will add more payroll. At the very least it would take $20-25 million for all that talk to make sense.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • saztastic2012
I think what he is saying is that he is unwilling to give up the draft pick for an OF of Bourn, Capt K And Duda, But Bourn, Duda and say Upton or someone else of that type would make giving up the pick worth while.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • saztastic2012
AGreed, I just dont get where posters like BB are coming from, They say our OF is a joke but then dont think anything even adding Bourn and Upton could improve us enough to contend, Yes the pen needs to be atleast decent but as anyone with common baseball knowledge knows pens are hot and cold, One years stud is another years dud and Vs Versa one years dud is next years Dude.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/23/13
  • saztastic2012
I am not sure they are as concerned with payroll as people think.
  • Reply to this Message