New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Olt and Leony Martin for d'Arnaud
Message 547736.1 was deleted
  • 1/22/13
  • bbjmparis

Or, how we got fleeced.

First of all neither you or I know who was offered for what in private talks. So much of what is "leaked" is pure BS. Olt and Martin for Dickey was an even worse deal than TdA, Buck, and Snydergaard for Dickey, Thole, and Nickeas, but not by much. Both deals brought back way too little. Neither should have been made.

I really doubt that Texas is now offering Olt and Martin for TdA. If they are, we aught to jump on it before they sober up. None of the three is likely to be very good, but I'd rather have two lottery tickets than one.

However, it is probably just Sandy spreading more BS trying to make a bad deal look good.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547736.3 was deleted
  • 1/22/13
  • MetObserver

Forgot that good ball players just start in the ML teams and are great right off the bat. I don't even know why they have minor leagues at all. The players in the minors will never become major league talent anyway. When someone makes the majors we should keep them around until they reach 50 at least.

Just so glad you are here to let us know how this whole baseball thing works. You are genius!

• Reply to this Message
Message 547736.5 was deleted
  • 1/22/13
  • thagreat1
Haha we have the best catching prospect in the world and soon to be top 3 pitching prospect. We're in good shape bout
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • bbjmparis
Please explain. What's dumb is trading proven major league stars for prospects. That's what the Royals and Pirates do. Neither has had a 500 team in decades. Nor will we if we keep giving away or few good players. Since Sandy became GM we've lost Beltran, Reyes, and Dickey and didn't get back anyone who's thrown a single major league pitch. We did get Buck...who isn't much. So please explain why that's not dumb.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • bbjmparis
Who said that. I said if you trade away an All-Star outfielder, and a Cy Young winner and don't get back at least one proven major league player, it's dumb. Losing a batting champ for nothing is even dumber. So tell me why I'm wrong.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • MetObserver
Do those teams ever have a 38 year old star? Or do they have to trade players like DW after their 6 years of service?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • MetObserver

Beltran was a rental to a contending team why would they send back a major league piece and hurt themselves? Who do you think we get Posey?

Dickey was 38 and not going to be around when we would need him hence the trade to a contender so why again would they give up a major league player that will help them win now?

Reyes situation has been explained over and over. Hurt twice before the trading deadline and would return players only in your imagination. By Jose's own comments the team thought that at the end of the season he would like to stay for a reasonable price. He didn't case closed.

I know you will not understand any of that but I didn't expect that you would. So I guess I just had time to waste on this cold 7* snowy day.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • bbjmparis

We had Lastings Milledge, Fernando Martinez, Paul Wilson, Aaron Heilman, and Mike Pelfrey...all #1 draft choices, all top prospects...all flops. Our #1 draft choices going back 20 years...(not counting the lst 5 because they haven't been around long enough to pass judgement on...although they look pretty bad stinking up the low minors)...has a failure rate of %90. Yep, 18 of the 20 were flops. Ike Davis and Wright were our two best. Neither are likely to be Hall of Famers, just good players.

Those are facts. 90% flop rate for prospects. Everything else is just a guess. You can't change that. Giving up a Cy Young winner for a guy with a 90% chance of being a flop...who isn't even healthy...is just dumb.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • bbjmparis
Why trade Beltran at all then? Here's a clue. If a trade makes you worse, don't make it. Years later and the Great and Powerful Wheeler has yet to throw a major league pitch. He's still not evengood enough to show he's another Mejia or Familia...in other words...a flop. Maybe he's not as good as they are. Does that scare you? It should.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547736.13 was deleted
  • 1/22/13
  • rey0for37

Teams DON'T trade great young players for OLD GREAT PLAYERS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but give me some examples where Team A traded a great player who was OLD but still put up good numbers and got back a FUTURE ALL STAR under 25 years old.

Or tell me who you think Dickey could have gotten?

• Reply to this Message
Message 547736.15 was deleted
  • 1/22/13
  • MetObserver
Beltran had lost a lot of time with his knee problem and was not going to be signed at the end of the season so why not trade him at the deadline for some value?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547736.17 was deleted
  • 1/22/13
  • bbjmparis

PS: The Reyes situation has never been explained. It has just been swept under the rug with some FO BS that you pass along without question. Letting Reyes walk hurt the team...CLUE...and you obviously need one...you don't make moves that hurt the team...unless you want to be KC or Pittsburgh.

Run along now, Fred's shoes need shining.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547736.19 was deleted
  • 1/22/13
  • bbjmparis
What I get, and that you don't...is that our w-l record has gotten worse every year under SA, and will be worse again this year. 95-100 losses seems probable. The team gets worse every year, and people like you defend it, saying how brilliant SA and the Wilpons are. Sorry, the only results that matter are wins and losses. They get worse every year....here's another clue....THAT MEANS WE ARE HEADING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.
  • Reply to this Message