• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Phillies sign Delmon Young 1yr 750K
  • To:All
  • 1/22/13
  • KB24NYM

Wow... I know Young isn't without faults, but Mets couldn't bring this guy on board for one freaking year at 750k??

Jeez... The guy can hit, bats righty, and kind of plays the OF...what was the problem?

Edited 1/22/13   by  KB24NYM
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • murphstates
No, no. You're not allowed to criticize because we have no way of knowing if Sandy made an offer or not. The front office cannot be held accountable for anything, it's a new rule.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/22/13
  • KB24NYM
More I think about this, the more it upsets me.. WHERE WAS THE RISK??
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • elsid1986
Doesn't fit Sandy's "plan"
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • AdrianMonk

I don't think it would serve our interests to get sidetracked this way. Stay the course.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • murphstates
It's very disturbing. There's your replacement for Scott Hairston on the cheap for one year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • KB24NYM
I know about the anti-Semitic comment...but 1/750k? You can just cut him if he scr.ews up again.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • MetObserver

Wow missed another HOFer that would have carried us to the promised land.

I would rather watch the kids play and hope for improvement than to just sign some mediocre Major Leaguer that you know will not be around in two years to help. Plus any one of the 4th outfielders that we have can put up the numbers he has put up and without the headcase in the dugout. Last years line: .267 .296 .411 .707 and his Career line: .284 .317.425 .742

Not really impressive and not good enough to block some kid from showing what he can do at the Major League level. At least in my opinion.

But I know that someone has to complain about every time a player is signed by anyone other than our team. So go right ahead and whine and moan and gnash you teeth over another insignificant signing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • elsid1986
I don't know what the downside was.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • KB24NYM
Aside from Duda, we don't have a Single OF assured of hitting .250+ with 15+HR. Not one. I'm all for letting the kids play, really I am, but do you really think signing Young would prevent that?? We wouldn't have enough AB to go around? Between Young not hitting RHP well and Duda vs LHP, AND CF, there would have been plenty to go around.

Edited 1/22/13   by  KB24NYM
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • murphstates
Delmon Young is younger than the "kids" Baxter and Andrew Brown and the same age as Duda and Cowgill.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • alex8686
I don't know how they got him that cheap. Excellent pick up for them and he should fit in very well there.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • nvmets10
I don't even love Young but this is seriously bizarre. Sandy really needs to have something up his sleeve.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • MetObserver
But has shown in 7 years on 3 teams that he is not a player to build around. Especially with that near .300 OBP that he has had for the last few years. .317 lifetime is terrible too. He hit 21 home runs only once and that was playing in 153 games that season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Wow you really will defend anything, huh?

No one is arguing he's a HOF OF- But he's young, talented, and much better than anything else this team has. And he just signed for under ONE million.

At some point there is no excuse. This is that point.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • murphstates
How is a one-year deal for $750K building around him? We don't have a single outfielder to build around, that's why we're bringing in stop gaps. The difference is Young is a major league player.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • nvmets10
The "kids"? We do not have "kids". Baxter is 28 and Duda and Cowgill are soon turning 27 themselves. NONE have proven a thing in the major leagues. Meanwhile, Delmon Young is 27 years old and already proven as an at least adequate major leaguer. He also has a career .307 average and .824 OPS against lefties - something we could probably use, wouldn't you say?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • MetObserver
Phils outfield doesn't really look much better than the Met's does right now. D. Young could be the star of their outfield. I contains L. Nix, D. Brown, B. Revere, J. Mayberry, and D. Ruf. Nobody of any consequence to speak of. Maybe some up side but aside from Young none of the others have had any real impact in the Majors yet.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld

This team could use a warm body in the OF who is at the very least a marginal major league player. Young is that, for less than a million. You never know, he may put it together with a new team... Or not, not a big loss either way.

Instead this team again has among the worst OF in baseball.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Do you know anything about Revere? I'm assuming you don't because it's the only way you could say something so ridiculous.

On that note, do you know anything about anything?

• Reply to this Message