• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Murphy and Ike want the same money in arbitration??
  • To:All
  • 1/22/13
  • mobeen

I am not an expert in arbitration, but there is something wrong when Murphy wants 3.4 million, almost the same that Ike had asked. Ike is a much better offensive and defensive player.

Ike just settled for 3.1 mil - probably going to similar for Murphy.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • murphstates
Murphy was projected to get slightly more in arbitration than Ike.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • giantsmets

"Ike is a much better offensive and defensive player. "

291 BA vs 227 says differently. Ike is a better Power Hitter but not a better offensive player than Murphy. The previous year Murphy batted 320 in close 400 AB's

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • mobeen
So just based on that BA, you would take Murphy over Ike for Offense? Ike won't be a .227 hitter, but Murphy will never be a power hitter. Now let's discuss defense, how do you factor that?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • metsicle

Murphy has more time in the majors. I believe this is his 2nd arbitration eligible year.

It makes perfect sense.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • mobeen
Did they both hit arb. at the same time? how does arbitration work? I thought if they hit arb. at same time and had similar salaries last year. Based on that and stats. from last year, wouldn't Ike rate higher in the arbitration market? I don't know the answer, so just asking.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • giantsmets
My contention is the use of the term "much better" when the evidence clearly shows differently. Defensively that applies, but not offensively.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • mobeen
okay that's what I was wondering, if Murph had one extra year. That would make sense.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • murphstates
This is the first year of arb for both of them, but Ike is a Super Two and Murphy has the three full years of service time. Murphy's additional service time is factored into the process.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • viper99

Didn't Murphy get 5.7M or so?

WAY OVERPAID...

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • saztastic2012
Murph has much more playing time.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • saztastic2012
Also they dont base arbitration on teammates but rather on players of the same time, type of player and position, They would use other young super two slugging first basemen to come up with a number, Just as Murph would be compared to other second basemen of his talent and age.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • saztastic2012
It is also worth nothing for all the Mets are cheap posters that the mets have settled for more then what was projected by sources like MLB traderumors.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • saztastic2012
Dont think it was even decided yet but Murph wanted 3.4 Mets countered with 2.55 MLB Trade rumors had the number expected to be 3 Mill even.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Brian McCann
Latest by Bwaah - 12:07 PM
Knock Collins all you want!
Latest by elguapo111 - 12:05 PM
Since those first 3 games...
Latest by thagreat1 - 12:03 PM
Chris Young batting .200, anyone surprised?
Latest by elguapo111 - 12:03 PM
Oh, and BTW.. Davis is 0-9 and at .227
Latest by panthernet - 12:03 PM
Minor League Baseball
Latest by miracl3met - 12:00 PM
Beautiful play!
Latest by AdrianMonk - 11:59 AM
Musician Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 11:54 AM
It's a shame we passed on Abreu and Cruz...
Latest by ucpatoi - 11:53 AM
Three Funniest Posters
Latest by jereviens - 11:43 AM