New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Is Beltran a HOF'er?
  • To:All
  • 1/21/13
  • Gepett0

What do you guys think?

I would say no but i think you can make an argument for him....especially if he plays another 3-5 years in the AL

I think he had a real shot at one point but the injury years of 09 and 2010 def hurt his chances

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • 4545_ajd
Not yet, i agree he has a shot if he can stay healthy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • alex8686
Yeah he'll probably get in eventually. A lot depends on how these last couple years go for him but I think he eventually gets in.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
No he isn't. If Biggio didn't even make the first ballot, then how does Beltran ever have a chance. He was overpaid and overrated with the Mets, nobody really knew him when he was in Kansas City and he has been injured way too much. Plus, getting caught looking at strike 3 with the season on the line will also hurt his chances. He really has no shot unless he has 4 or 5 more seasons like he did last year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Gepett0

while i agree that i wouldnt consider him a hall of famer, the called strike 3 thing wouldnt have any effect whatsoever

that moment only lives in infamy in the minds of mets fans ...or are you forgetting that beltran is actually one of the most feared post season hitters of all time? his post season slashline is 363/470/782 (yes thats a .419 iso) for a 1.252 OPS ....how many guys w/ 100+ post season abs can you name w/ numbers even close to that impressive?

really, its about injuries w/ beltran....if he had stayed healthy his whole career, i think that he would have been a no doubter...i mean you have to remember that it is all relative to ones position and, as a gold glove CF, beltran is in elite company w/ the caliber of numbers he put up ...but imo not quite hof worthy though still close

Edited 1/21/13   by  Gepett0
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/21/13
  • Gepett0
for the record, (and i do not love war as a stat) but a HOF CF averages 67.1 career WAR w/ a 7 year peak war of 42.5....beltran is a 62.3 career war player w/ a 7 year peak war of 40.4....so really, numbers wise, hes VERY close
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • hammr1952
probably 3 or 4 years like last should do it IMO.... but not on first try.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • golfbone
No. Not even close.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Moses0507
No.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Gepett0

if you don't think its close, then you don't know jack about the quality of CF in the major leagues

it very well could be a no but its not a no by much....there haven't been many CF to put up the career stats that beltran has while playing a solid to very good CF

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • DFAB
he's not quite quite there yet but if he can play well for another 2-3 years he will be close. If he can break 400 hrs and get to 1500 RBI's, I think he makes it. He is also the most successful base stealer of all time...that has to count for something.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • metrebel

>> Not yet, i agree he has a shot if he can stay healthy.

He has to stay healthy and have a few more seasons like last year. If he was eligible now, I don't think he gets in.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Not good enough, but with the talent dilution of recent years, I could be wrong. To me, a HoF candidate has to be consistently great, to be able to go toe to toe with the immortals like Ruth, Musial, Williams, Young and Alexander.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Ultimate_Lou2013
...A=Roid did that 2 years in a row...Howard also did it...so because of that, neither one gets a shot at the hall?...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Gepett0

understandable - though none of the guys you just mentioned were CF's (though musial played some center)

here are a list of the CF in the hall of fame...so the question is, does beltran belong more than any of these guys

obviously i dont want to see comparisons to these guys, who were just no doubter 1st ballot if you vote against them you should have a lobotomy type players:
Cobb
Dimaggio
Mantle
Mays

But look over the rest of them and compare them to beltran to figure out if he belongs:

Richie Ashburn
Earl Averill
Max Carey
Earle Combs
Larry Doby
Hugh Duffy
Billy Hamilton
Lloyd Waner
Hack Wilson
Ed Roush
Duke Snider
Kirby Puckett
Tris speaker

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • golfbone

Lifetime .282 hitter with 334 HR and 1243 RBI. Yawn.

Not too many CF in the hall with those numbers. Andre Dawson would be closest direct comparison as he was .279 hitter but had 438 HR and 1591 RBI. Beltran would need to hit another 100 HR or raise his BA by 10 points to have a shot.

If he had a great WS pedigree that would also help.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • bucknerismyhero
I would say he is the best CFer in Mets history, but he comes up just short of the HOF. That is also before there is any discussion about shady Canadian doctors, etc.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Gepett0

well he's one of the best post season hitters ever

how many guys have over 100 abs in the post season and an ops over 1200

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

Yeah and now go compare his career to Beltrans. Didn't think so.

With Howard, he probably will never get in because I doubt he will put up the same numbers as he did earlier in his career. Plus, first baseman have the tough chance making it in to the Hall. Go look at Fed Mcgfriff. He has 493 home-runs, yet he will probably never get in.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
Saying he's the "best CF in Mets history" isn't even saying much. What competition does he have to be the greatest CF in this franchise. Just shows you how much of joke the Mets are.
  • Reply to this Message