• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Beltran a Met in 2014?
  • To:All
  • 1/21/13
  • JackNicholson
His contract is up in 2014. If we could sign him to a one year contract at $5-8 million, would you consider?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • DFAB
He probably will sign for more and he will cost $$$. So therefore he will not be a Met. I wouldn't mind him back on a 1 year deal though...he can still hit.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • rangers61134465
Do you actually believe the mets won't ever sign another big FA?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • MetObserver
My guess would be an exaggeration just to stress his point.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • rangers61134465
Yea just on every thread...it gets annoying
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • 86mex17
Sure, why not
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • 86mex17
I'd take him or Sizemore , no problem. They can still hit when healthy
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • Gepett0
i think after this contract, beltran will finally transition to the AL, where he can slowly move into a dh role...i know he loves the NL but eventually, you've gotta start thinking about how to best conserve your body for the long term....if he moves to the AL, i think he can play another 3-5 years
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Seriously?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • DFAB

"Do you actually believe the mets won't ever sign another big FA?"

Did I say that? I highly doubt they will sign any big free agent anytime soon though. EVERYTHING they are doing right now is all centered around "cost efficiency." If they SAY they will spend, I have to SEE it to believe it. I think I've earned the right as a Mets fan to be skeptical. Ownership has lied before and wouldn't be surprised if they did it again.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • DFAB

"Yea just on every thread...it gets annoying"

If you don't like how I am dissatisfied with ownership, then don't read my posts. Simple.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • skorpio520
no.his time here is up.thank you carlos but time to move on now
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • 86mex17
At ease devil dog, haha, j/k I agree ownership has killed this team. They lied about met money and madoff money not being connected. It clearly has changed how they run/control the team. Its sad!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • DFAB
They have lied on multiple occasions about payroll and about that madoff nonsense. If fred wasn't buddy buddy with selig, the wilpons would be out of baseball right now. Selig had an iron fist when it came to mccourt. I guess being involved in TWO ponzi schemes and not making ANY decision in the TEAM'S best interest is ok...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • MetObserver
Easy answer is the Mets didn't lose any money with the Madoff affair. But the owners did and now that the team has lost money for a few years and can't support themselves the owners don't have any money to invest in team operations. It didn't have to be a LIE. If the team continued to make enough money to keep payroll up it would have stayed up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • MetObserver
Is it a rule in MLB that if you get caught up in a ponzi scheme or you make bad decisions on players that you have to lose your team? Didn't know that. Thought you had to do something like siphon money from the team to use on yourself before you got forced out.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • DFAB
If you continuously make bad decisions for the team and continuously to make decisions in YOUR best interests instead of the TEAM'S best interest, then a commissioner can make a judgement call and deem the ownership as not being able to effectively run an MLB franchise and not making decisions that are in "the best interests of baseball." Since that is a JUDGEMENT call, being friends with the one who makes those judgments could certainly cloud those judgments. It is very clear that selig has shown much favoritism towards the wilpons. It's pretty obvious. I understand that there isn't a "specific violation" but as a whole, the wilpons are NOT making the decisions in the team's or baseball's best interests...it's for themselves...and therefore COULD be pushed out of baseball IF the commissioner wanted them gone. Unfortunately that isn't the case.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • MetObserver

But I don't think ALL of the decisions they make are wrong or considered wrong by MLB. They hired SA and have made some strides to improve the farm. Since hiring Sandy I don't know that you can say they have made many bad decisions that would hurt MLB. I think that argument is rather thin. They paid back that loan from MLB that they got a few years ago. Are refinancing their debts in order to get their house in order which is a good thing. I don't think that MLB has a real case against them, friend involved or not. They will have to see, like the fans will, what happens in the next few years before it can be determined if they have a plan or not.

Not defending the Wilpons but I don't see that they have risen to the point of being striped of the team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • fredhoss
I don't know if Selig and the Wilpons are actual friends but if they are doesn't it stand to reason they would try to help each other? Isn't that what friends do for each other?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • DFAB

Selig was VERY lenient on the wilpons during the whole madoff thing. I still don't believe that they "didn't know" about madoff's dishonesty....maybe in the beginning they didn't but when you are making a ridiculous returns (12% or so? Not sure what the exact number was) in a DOWN economy where ALL interest rates are in the toilet...doesn't that throw up a red flag? Despite what I think, that matter was settled in court and the point is moot anyway.The madoff garbage was the wilpons SECOND involvement in a ponzi scheme. Selig was also VERY lenient with loan repayments and giving out loans to the wilpons as well.

As for Alderson, wasn't he assigned by Selig to the wilpons to help them with their finances (payroll cuts)? I like what SA is doing as far as rebuilding the farm but the wilpons making record cuts in payroll is NOT improving the team. It has already been cut by 50m+ and if the payroll stays as it is now, it will be another 20m+ cut off of payroll. A 70m+ slash in payroll in 2 years is unacceptable for a NY team. It will also most likely get cut AGAIN next year since I don't believe the wilpons will spend the 30-40ish million in payroll that is coming off the books after this season.

"I don't think that MLB has a real case against them, friend involved or not."

For a SPECIFIC violation, you're right...they don't. It wasn't like it was for mccourt where there was a clear violation of MLB rules. The wilpons' problem is more in generalities....which is why it is a judgement call on whether they are owners who are making the right decisions or not. Since it is a JUDGEMENT call, it is very easy to look past certain things and give BS explanations. This is where the favoritism helps the wilpons.

There IS a plan. The wilpons WANT to win and WANT to get better....NO owners doesn't want those things. The difference is that the wilpons are not COMMITTED to improving the team. It is pretty evident that their PRIMARY(not their ONLY) objective is to cut costs. As long as improving the team fits into the cost cutting plan, then the wilpons are fine with it.

What angers me is that they won't even spend a LITTLE bit on someone like Ludwick or make a trade for Willingham. Those types are not signed to crazy contracts and would make a world of difference to our OF problems. I'm not saying we should have signed Greinke, Hamilton, Upton, etc....but I DO expect them to sign a few MAJOR LEAGUE players to play at the ML level.

• Reply to this Message