• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• BOURN YES OR NO!
  • To:All
  • 1/21/13
  • saztastic2012

If the mets were willing to give him the money, or if his price comes down do you give up the draft pick to get him?

I say Yes.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • swimmer000
I say no. Left Handed, strikes out a ton, career year at his age, Mets not being one player away. Not worth the Money and especially the draft pick.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • edmet
my 1st choice is trade for j. upton if it doesnt include harvey wheeler or niese. barring that, yes to bourn and sign hairston, if the prices are reasonable. 5 yrs $65m for bourn, like this: $10, $15,$13,333,333.3 x 3< with a player opt out after yr 2. i would give hairston his $4m x 2 which mets have already rejected but i would not guarantee him a starting job. signing bourn over trading for an outfielder hurts our draft BUT protects the prospects we now have. trade for upton: flores,fulmer,edgin,syndergard. thats a lot, but we have to beat competition from braves, rangers and others. dont be surprised to see phils jump in.if we can sub carson and mejjia for edgin and syndergard great, but i doubt it. so the choice for me is protect the upcoming draft or protect the prospects we now have.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • 86mex17
No !! I'd rather have the pick! Is Bourne gonna help us win 90 games this season? No. , his game is his legs and he will be 32 this season and 36 when were ready to compete,. A resounding No. Imo
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • thegooch42
yeah let's give up a top pick in a very top heavy draft for a 30+ year old outfielder that relies on his legs(mets trainers have Done so well with leg injuries) oh and let's give him 12 million a year while we''re at it. Its like you guys don't understand the concept of patience
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • MetObserver
NO!
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547706.7 was deleted
  • 1/21/13
  • thebobymon

yes @ 4-5 years

no @ 7-8 years

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • 86kid
NO.
Keep the pick and the money. Unless Bourn turns into Roy Hobbs overnight, his presence here isn't going to change a likely 4th or 5th place team, into a playoff team. The draft pick might not pan out at all, but he might also be another Harvey type or better, who could here within two years.

Edited 1/21/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • saztastic2012

Maybe we are a couple of players away? We have a very good rotation with lots of potential, Our pen needs some help but they are going to sign a few guys and we have the kids,

Add a legit OF like Bourn and maybe one more like Hairston and why cant we contend?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • saztastic2012
Sounds about right.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • swimmer000
did you read what I wrote? How bout you understand a little patient reading and understand that I agree with you...stupid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • 86kid

>>>"Maybe we are a couple of players away? We have a very good rotation with lots of potential, Our pen needs some help but they are going to sign a few guys and we have the kids,
Add a legit OF like Bourn and maybe one more like Hairston and why cant we contend?"<<<

Anything is possible in this game Saz, but chances are much greater that this is a 4th or 5th place team, and that slim chance of us being a playoff team is not worth giving up a #11 pick for, and getting locked into long term money with Bourn.

I'd pass on this. Sandy should be trying to pry Eaton or Pollock away for the DBacks, or other such deals for top out field prospects, not giving up #11 picks for expensive guys like Bourn, who won't lead us to the playoffs.

Edited 1/21/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • swimmer000

Im not so high on the rotation in reality, I like the potential but we have:

Johan: Coming off Injury
Gee: Coming off injury
A question mark
Niese: Fantastic
Harvey: 1st Major League season.

We have the potential of a great rotation and an even bigger potential for a bad rotation.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • MetObserver
What? You have to resort to name calling? It is clear that he just addressed his answer to the wrong poster.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • saztastic2012

Rotation very good with alot of potential,

Pen needs some help but some good young arms are already there and they plan on adding a few more

So solid pen and good rotation

Offense

1B Ike above average to Elite 1st basemen
2N B Murph top 5 offensive 1s basemen
SS Tejada had I think the second or third best AVG among SS and getting better
3B Wright Elite
C TDA should be Elite Buck decent better then what we had
OF UGGG For now

But Bring in Bourne and resign Hairston then Let Duda, Baxter, Capt K fight it out for the 3rd and 4th OF and that could be a good OF would certainly be alot better then last year.

So truth be told our offense with the likes of Bay, Thole, Torres, SHoppach gone is actually solid at every set position, The OF needs to get Set and Bourn would do that.

It is worth noting that the Mets outside of Bay, tHOLE, tORRES and Shoppach actually put up above average production but the 1200 ABS given to those OF and Catchers KILLED us, Their porduction was so far below average that it brought the entire team down,

Do the numbers and replace Bay and Torres 600 ABS with league average production, Then replace the even worse production of Thole, Shoppach and Nickeas with again just league average production and we are a 700 Plus offense which is the number or runs the elite (top 6 or 7 offenses in the NL) Score.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • saztastic2012
You dont have to be ready to get there.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • saztastic2012
Fair enough, Would you go 6 years 17 Mill per? so 6 for 102?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • thebobymon
no.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • 86kid

>>>"Johan: Coming off Injury
Gee: Coming off injury
A question mark
Niese: Fantastic
Harvey: 1st Major League season."<<<

I am not really too concerned with our rotation, but I think your points are certainly more than valid. I think Johan and Gee should be fine health wise, but certainly, until they prove it, we can't rest assured.

I think Neise will have a good year.

I think Harvey, based on what we saw, and his mound generalship, and overall mindset as a pitcher who never satisfied with just existing, should be fine this year... but we'll see.

I would also like to see Mejia gets starts, or even a time slot in the rotation if the space is there.

And then there is Wheeler... guessing we'll see him by July, if not a tad sooner. If he can come up a deal like Harvey did, we'll be in good shape in the rotation.

• Reply to this Message