• To:All
  • 1/21/13
  • KB24NYM
Wilpon's took the Bay money and went on a shopping spree at Toys R Us

Edited 1/21/13   by  KB24NYM
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • danthemetfan
If they are broke and in debt, then that money is "reinvested" to make them whole. They are not selling the team, no matter how much we want them to. So, the faster they square away thier debt, the faster they start spending on the team again.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • thebobymon
Bingo, recoup ones losses.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • murphstates

How does deferring Bay's money and Wright's salary help them reduce debt or losses in any way? They still owe Bay and Wright the money, just over the course of the next couple years instead of this year.

It would be nice if they didn't claim the deferrals gave them "flexibility" with 2013 payroll when they had no intention of putting it back into the team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • gomets66
as of now, mets actual opening day 25 man roster payroll is at 72.5 mil, give or take a mil. maybe that was the plan. knock off another 20+ million. thats about what it was reported mets lost in 2012 season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • MetObserver

Don't know why they said that or how it could have helped them after not spending the extra fans and the press would know it.

By deferring the money it may make it possible for the team to actually make money this year and if that is the case it would help them. As far as paying the money out it would come after they have shed Johan's contract making it easier to absorb into the payroll. It does make sense for the financial well being of the club. But it doesn't help the production on the field or make the fan base any happier.

This will be the year of the kids I guess. They may play exciting baseball as they all will be hungry to prove themselves good enough to stay. The only bright spot is that there are 3 outfield jobs available to fight over.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • gomets66

The only bright spot is that there are 3 outfield jobs available to fight over.>>>

and a rotation spot and a few bullpen spots to fight over.

Edited 1/21/13   by  gomets66
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • danthemetfan
Rhetoric and actual finances are two different things. As noted, by deferring money they can more easily cover losses or start paying off debt earlier. It is like getting a loan. In the long run you pay more, but it helps the short term turn around. I can't defend their rhetoric, and it would be nice if they were just open and honest about the situation. Then again, maybe if they were open about it, no one would come to the Mets at all, and they would not be able to dig themselves out. In order to show worth and strength, they need to pretend to be stable and strong, even if it is a show and a lie. So it is our job to understand the issue, and not get caught in the rhetoric and propaganda. The are not extending payroll, you know it, so just accept it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • DFAB

"maybe that was the plan. knock off another 20+ million. thats about what it was reported mets lost in 2012 season."

You got it...that was most likely the plan all along. I'm not really surprised and expect something similar next year. They have about 40m or so coming off the books after this season and I highly doubt that they will reinvest that money back into the team. I'd be shocked if even HALF of that money was put back into the team. I have a feeling we will hear a lot of "we are kicking the tires on this guy" and "we have some interest in that guy" and "this guy isn't worth the money" and "that guy is too expensive" and "he doesn't really fit our plans"...etc. etc.

I'm just hoping that most of our top prospects turn out to be all stars, that's our only hope since we most likely won't be improving the team through FA.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • MetObserver

$40 million? How do you figure that much? If you think that this years will be around $74 million how do you get to $34 million? Wright $20M and Niese $5M . So the rest of the players,22 of them, would get the other $9 million. With Davis, Murphy, Parnell going into their second year of arbitration and Gee, Tejada, Baxter, Turner going into their first year.

I don't see it happening. Even an exaggerated cut won't bring it down any more than $10 million at most.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • murphstates
Santana, Buck and Francisco alone account for $44 million coming off this year's payroll.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • MetObserver

And Wright makes $20 million not the $8 million people are using so that is an increase of $12 million. Does that count? or do you only count the eliminated salaries?

Plus Santana $25.5 + Buck 6.5 + Fancisco $6.5 = $38.5 now add DW's $12 and you have a $26.5 cut before arbitration increases for any of those other players that we keep and I can't see a $40 million dollar reduction.

So at least half of the reduction will be used up with only the players we currently have on the roster.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • murphstates
Santana is being counted as $31 million this season because the Mets include his buyout in 2013 payroll and they're counting Wright at $11 million because they include his deferred money.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • MetObserver
So that would make a reduction in payroll of $35 million without any of the arbitration raises for those players already eligible so still not $40 million.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • gomets66

Santana is being counted as $31 million this season because the Mets include his buyout in 2013 payroll and they're counting Wright at $11 million because they include his deferred money. >>>

actual payouts will be less. santana has 5 million deferred and wright is actually getting 8 million.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/21/13
  • gomets66

as of now, mets actual opening day 25 man roster payroll is at 72.5 mil, give or take a mil. maybe that was the plan. knock off another 20+ million. thats about what it was reported mets lost in 2012 season. >>>

forgot bonillas 2 mil. imagine mets would count that in their own payroll calculations.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • DFAB
Santana and Bay $$$....aren't they counting Santana for 31m this year with the buyout?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • DFAB
I also didn't use 40m as an EXACT number...I said AROUND 40m....the point is that it most likely WON'T be reinvested into the TEAM
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • murphstates
It depends how you calculate the payroll. Undoubtedly the organization will claim this year's payroll is in excess of $90 million. If that's the case it will be more like $50 million coming off.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547705.20 was deleted