• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Another reliever gets away...
  • To:All
  • 1/21/13
  • brianinwi

Lindstrom signs with the White Sox on a 1-year deal. Wake up, Sandy!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/white-sox-agree-to-sign-matt-lindstrom.html

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • frkaz911
So that's the second time they let him get away, since he was a product of the Mets organization and they got bupkis for him when they traded him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • skorpio520

maybe he didnt wanna come here.i really really really hope thats it. when we cant sign someone whos had an under 3 era the past 3 years but sign a 36 year old ex met has been (before i hear it, I DONT CARE THAT IT WAS A MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACT,IT WAS POINTLESS) with a history of arm problems .theres a problem.
Im trying to give the benefit of the doudt and wait till next yr before i get critical .Its getting harder though.
Thinking maybe Sandys on A short leash and the Wilpons are pulling it back.

Wish theyd just sell this freakin team and be done with it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • AdrianMonk

I believe Aaron Heilman is still available.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • lizzz
...but we got Pedro Feliciano!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • 86kid

>>>"Lindstrom signs with the White Sox on a 1-year deal. Wake up, Sandy!"<<<

Problem I have is that your comment makes several assumptions - neither of which you seem to have any factual info to base it on.

1. Sandy never spoke to, or negotiated with, the player's agent ? You know this for a fact ?
2. The player actually was interested in playing for the Mets ? You know this for a fact ?

Seem to me you should at least have answers to those points, before you tell Sandy to "wake up".

Also seems to me, if we are going to make such assumptions, we could just as easily assume that a players coming off numbers like a 2.68 ERA with 7.7 K/9 and 2.7 BB/9 in 47 innings for the Orioles and Diamondbacks last season, and a 2.85 ERA in 101 innings over the last two seasons, wouldn't favor pitching for a team predicted to finish near the bottom of it's division, as opposed to a good team.

Edited 1/21/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • ExileMetsFan
After they "let him get away", he was bad for 3 seasons. He just started to put it together in 2011. Sure, we could have used him, but at that point, he would have been out of options, and probably would have been let go before he got better. So what's the difference?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • ExileMetsFan

Actually, that "bupkis" was Jason Vargas

Vargas has been a lot better than Lindstrom. Sadly, we traded him away for two broken relievers.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • thebobymon
There goes the playoffs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • fargol

"There goes the playoffs. "

Yeah. We could've really used a 33-year old reliever who was bad or mediocre until 2011. I'm sure, since he just recently hit his prime, he'll be good for at least another 4 or 5 years.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • Oldfan

<<"Problem I have is that your comment makes several assumptions - neither of which you seem to have any factual info to base it on.

1. Sandy never spoke to, or negotiated with, the player's agent ? You know this for a fact ?
2. The player actually was interested in playing for the Mets ? You know this for a fact ?

Seem to me you should at least have answers to those points, before you tell Sandy to "wake up"

Is it really necessary for anyone to have that information before posting their opinion on Alderson's inactivity?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • fargol

"Is it really necessary for anyone to have that information before posting their opinion on Alderson's inactivity?"

Yes, if that person is going to bash or otherwise criticize him.

If you think something should be done on your job, and your boss says 'no', should we blame you for not doing it?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • 86kid

>>>"Is it really necessary for anyone to have that information before posting their opinion on Alderson's inactivity?"<<<

In fairness, yes I do. I do if someone is going accuse the GM of being asleep by not acquiring a specific player like this.

I think the person should at least be able to produce some shred of factual, or at least rumored evidence, that the GM just sat on his hands and never ever contacted the agent, or never made a credible attempt to make a deal. And also, that the player was even open to playing here.

Sometimes people just assume that because a player is "available", that all they have to do is want him, and he's ours. Well, it doesn't work that way that I know of. Not every player is available to us, and we don't always know the reason(s) why.

For all we know Sandy had several discussions with the agent, but they asked for a ton more money from the Mets because they are a bad team.

For all we know this player told his agent that New York was one of several teams he didn't want to play for at all - not unless he had no other better offers.

For all we know he had something in his medical records or off the field background that made Mets question trying to seriously acquire him.

I don't know what did or didn't take place, I just think it's unfair to accuse the guy of being asleep and not doing anything, when we have no clue as to what he actually did or didn't do with regard to this player.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • murphstates
So once again we're back to the teflon GM where nothing can be criticized. Do organizations typically release their interaction with players not signed or trades not made? Why is it that every time someone levels this type of criticism they're accused of not knowing what the GM was doing, but if a FA signs with another team we get inundated with cries of "29 other GMs didn't think he was worth it either" when the posters making those claims have no idea what teams made offers or what those offers were?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • Oldfan
Considering the team had a terrible BP last year and have made no acquisitions and at this point, arguably, have the worst OF in baseball, I can understand the frustration aimed at the GM.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • 86kid

>>>"Yes, if that person is going to bash or otherwise criticize him."<<<

Exactly. I don't mind the guy being displeased that we couldn't get a specific player, but I don't think it's fair to accuse Sandy of being asleep and not even trying, unless we at least of some shred of fact or even strong rumors that support that.

>>>"If you think something should be done on your job, and your boss says 'no', should we blame you for not doing it?"<<<

I don't even know if it was that. I doubt seriously doubt the Jeff has anything to do with approval on the signings of "minor" contracts like this. I think if there were a decision to be made, it would have be totally up to Sandy. But whether Sandy actually contacted the agent, and whether or not the player had any interest at all in coming here, are the questions I would want to know before I accused Sandy of being asleep.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • 86kid

>>>"Considering the team had a terrible BP last year and have made no acquisitions and at this point, arguably, have the worst OF in baseball, I can understand the frustration aimed at the GM."<<<

I understand that too bro, but still....

I have no problem with someone coming on and saying .. "hey, this guy could have helped us out this year. Why didn't we hear anything about the Mets trying to sign him ?."

To me that would of been a fair question and statement.

But to come out and say Sandy was asleep, without knowing what he did or didn't try to with regard to this player, or what this player wanted, just seems a bit unfair to me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • metsicle

Alderson isn't asleep. He's not allowed to spend $.

I don't understand how any fan can get on Alderson, or even Omar in his final year or 2. They haven't been allowed to spend a lot of $. in aldersons case, he hasn't been allowed to spend any $.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • fargol

"So once again we're back to the teflon GM where nothing can be criticized. "

And once again we're back to the misrepresentation of what I said, and taking it to an extreme.

I never said ANYTHING of the sort. Show me where I did.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • fargol

"I don't even know if it was that."

Well, that was just a general example. I wouldn't want to be bashed for not doing something if I was told not to, and the person doing the bashing didn't even try and find out if it was my fault or not.

• Reply to this Message