• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Cerrone/outfield/rebuild
  • To:All
  • 1/21/13
  • swimmer000

Cerrone posted today expressing how upset he was at Aldersons joke about our outfield

“A message to Mets fans: There’s been a lot of talk about our outfield, and I want you to know that I’m in serious discussions with several outfielders I met on the internet. … There’s one I really like. He says he played at Stanford.”

We are fans, we love our team, we want the best for them and thats as far as it goes. Alderson is the GM, to think he is not doing everything he can to upgrade our team while also planning for the future is stupid, because its his job and his livelihood. As for the joke, its a joke!!! Why not joke about the situation, our own president makes jokes about more important matters, I think Alderson can make a joke about our outfield, it is just a game.

PS: The reason we have the outfield we have is because THERE IS NO ONE ELSE ATTAINABLE!!!!!!!!!! HELLOOOOO

1. Not giving up a draft pick for Bourn

2. Not trading half the farm for Upton or anyone else

3.Delmon Young? No one wants him for some strange reason.

4. So that only leaves options that are only as good as what we already have.

Good teams take time to build, just enjoy the process and relax.

Cerrone, get a grip and "a bunch of other stuff i cant say because its offensive".

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • murphstates
The reason we have no outfield is because we won't pay for anyone. There were numerous players available that would have upgraded the outfield without giving up a draft pick or handing out long-term big money contracts.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • gomets66
cerrone is usually a met defender. even when they shouldnt be defended. considering alderson has joked about the outfield a few times this offseason, maybe cerrone is getting a little frustrated. though, not having any money to spend and having to punt another season is more on the wilpons.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • swimmer000
I here this statement a lot, but given our teams circumstances, Im not going to give money to just anyone. People say there are outfielders available and they want one and yadda yadda yadda, but no one can even give names of targeted players who fit our need, so I challenge you to naming one......SO go ahead.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • thegooch42
really solid joke by Alderson
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • swimmer000
I thought it was hilarious
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • gomets66
just look at the FA outfield list for this offseason. most would have been an upgrade. since 2013 doesnt matter and payroll seems to have been cut again, it seems they were all too expensive.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • gomets66
just as funny as alderson saying, mets arent punting 2013 season. that was hilarious also.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • swimmer000

Bobby Abreu, LAD
Alfredo Amezaga, CHC
Rick Ankiel, WAS
Michael Bourn, ATL
Marlon Byrd, BOS
Melky Cabrera, SF
Johnny Damon, CLE
Matt Diaz, ATL
Kosuke Fukudome, NYY
Jonny Gomes, OAK
Scott Hairston, NYM
Raul Ibanez, NYY
Reed Johnson, ATL
Andruw Jones, NYY
Ryan Ludwick, CIN *
Xavier Nady, SF
Angel Pagan, SF
Juan Pierre, PHI
Juan Rivera, LAD *
Cody Ross, BOS
Luke Scott, TB *
Gra.dy Sizemore, CLE
Ryan Spilborghs, TEX
Ichiro Suzuki, NYY
Nick Swisher, NYY
B.J. Upton, TB
Shane Victorino, LAD
Reggie Willits, LAA
Delmon Young, DET

Not entirely besides the top creme of the crop guys, Ross and Ludwick would have been nice though. Other than that, ehhh

and why is gra.dy a forbidden word? lol

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • thagreat1
Grad.y is a derogatory racial slur towards aboriginals.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • swimmer000
Oh... Well dam.n.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • gomets66
not a great list. some would have helped. next years group is worse. free agency overall will keep being dismal moving forward.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • murphstates

Here's a list of FA outfielders and the contracts they signed.

Cabrera - 2/$16
Ludwick - 2/$15
McClouth - 1/$2.0
Pierre - 1/$1.6
Ross - 3/$26
Hunter - 2/$26
Schierholtz - 1/$2.25
Suzuki - 2/$13
Johnson - 1/$1.75

Not one required draft pick compensation, only one contract exceeded two years, only one averaged more than $10 million.

Now you tell me how none of those players would have improved the team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • thagreat1
Omg why isn't Sandy doing anything. This is so mind boggling
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • gomets66
too expensive.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • MetObserver
The real problem may have been that even if we offered some of those folks money they may not have come here anyway. And the ones that would we would have to over pay and they wouldn't be a substantial upgrade anyway. The names look good but most are just kicking around from one team to another, not really difference makers so why waste the money.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • thagreat1
It's like 04 all over again. Before Pedro signed, no big to halfway decent players wanted to come here.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • swimmer000

Now what money would we ahve had to pay the players who actually signed with good team?\

Cabrera chose Toronto, what would it have taken in a bid againt toronto for him to come to the Mets?

Ludwick signed with the reds, why would he have chosen the mets over them? More money?

I would have been interested in Ross but there are several red flags surrounding him.

Ichirio? WHy on earth would he pick the mets over the yankees at this point in his career?

The other payers you named are not major upgrades what so ever.

Would we really pay 2/26 million for tori Hunter? Wait he signed with detroit, that price goes up automatically if we wanted to sign him away from that commitment.

Keep in mind players have to want to play for your team. Mets are not as attractive at the moment.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • DFAB

+1

Yep...Ludwick wouldn't have been an upgrade lol...too bad he didn't want to play for free..

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • murphstates

As I have said many times, if this organization had as many wins as excuses we'd be perennial champions. "There's no one available", "no one wants to play here", "we'd have to overpay", yada, yada, yada.

Last season in 400 ABs for the Phillies Juan Pierre hit .301 with a .351 OBP and stole 37 bases. He signed with the Marlins after they gutted their roster.

• Reply to this Message