• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Potential trade partner
  • To:All
  • 1/20/13
  • ewok54
I was thinking the Dodgers. I know they are trying to trade Capuano or Harang. I also heard they were tryng to get someone to take Eithier's contract off there hands. How about Flores, either Fullmer/Montero and a third mid-range prospect for Eithier, Harang and cash to buy down some of Eithier's contract.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • Gepett0

given that ridiculous contract that ethier signed, i wouldnt give much up for him

the most i would give up is a package built around familia or mejia....im not giving up flores, fulmer, or montero for a guy that overpaid, though i would gladly take him if the price was right

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • metthunder
I would keep looking for Myers type players who are near MLB ready and figure out what that team needs and if they matchup.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • ewok54
If the deal included cash to buydown the contract, the prospects would have to be better. Think Mets would only make the trade if the contract was bought down to a reasonable level. Mejia or Familia could work but think you would need a second good prospect to get a middle of the order bat and a starting pitcher in return.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • DFAB
that would add to our payroll and therefore would have zero chance of happening
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • ewok54

And who would you give up for a top outfield prospect like Myers. Assume it would cost one of Havey/Wheeler/D'Arnaud plus. My deal fills a need for several years until Nimmo is ready. Harang is needed until the next group after Wheeler is available.

If you accept contracts, about$20MM, you could probably reduce the package. Put payroll back in them mid 90's with $50MM(Santana/Bay/Francisco) coming off in 2014.

Could see this team one bat and a closer away from contention in 2014. Probably a .500 team in 2013 if they add a righthanded bat in the outfield like Hairston.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • ewok54

It has been widely debated whether to gut the farm for Upton. Last time I looked, he had a big contract and would be looking for a monster contract in two years if he plays as well as sum on this board hope.

The good thing about a forum is you get to discuss whether a trade would be a good move. Not whether the owners will pay. Eithier fills alot of the need from a corner outfielder without gutting the farm.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • MetObserver
Except again he is a left handed bat and we need a righty.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • ewok54

He's a solid middle of the lineup guy with an average and OBP at solid levels. Part of the long term needs of the team. Guys like Duda and Murphy have defensive questions. If they both have good seasons, maybe one or both is traded for a righty with speed or bullpen help. Rather have Eithier for Mejia +, than Upton for two or more of our very best young prospects. Both will make similar salaries and put up similar numbers.

We are several moves from contention. This one could fill two spots without weakening the farm much.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • MetObserver
The Dodgers do have 6 outfielders on their depth chart and could afford to trade Ethier I did notice that they only have Agone at first base with no backup listed. They could use someone who could play first and third, what about Murphy?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • 86kid

>>>"given that ridiculous contract that ethier signed, i wouldnt give much up for him the most i would give up is a package built around familia or mejia....im not giving up flores, fulmer, or montero for a guy that overpaid, though i would gladly take him if the price was right"<<<

Given the size of the Dodger payroll, I have little doubt they'd be open to eat some of his contract in order to get a better package in return.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • ewok54
I like it. We have depth at second with Turner and Valdespin. Maybe Havens finally breaks out. Murphy and Mejia should incent the mega dollar Dodgers to buy down that contract. It also improves the team defensively at second and rightfield. Fills the open spot in the rotation with a solid veteran who can replace the innings RA gave us. It's also a chance to add a righthanded bat at second.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • RobfromLI

You're putting decent fried chicken into your trap and tossing it into the water for ... an old boot?

Dude. Harang?

Really?

Those days are over.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • ewok54
Two year patch until the Tapia/Fullmer/Montero group is ready. Better han Young or Saunders. Do you think Mejia is the answer? If so, take Mejia and Harang out. Saves alot in salary too.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/21/13
  • edmet
ethier is another lefty, too expensive, not worth it. capuano ok.
  • Reply to this Message