• To:All
  • 1/19/13
  • sparky134
passed away today at 92
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547678.2 was deleted
  • 1/19/13
  • metthunder

hopefully Musical was because of his harmonica playing, but it was Musial. RIP, my brother got to know Stan's daughter

you can fix your post unless you meant musical

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • sparky134
sorry for the typo you guys know the man and he was musical (harmonica) no disrespect meant for a great man
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • hammr1952
RIP Stan the MAN..... growing up one of my all time favs. often remembering Joe Garagiola mention Stan and Yogi being God's chosen. We have lost a legendary figure and great baseball ambassador..... RIP to him and Earl Weaver.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547678.6 was deleted
  • 1/19/13
  • nym41seaver
R I P Stan The Man Musial!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • spydermet
You beat me to it. He was truly one of the greatest to play this game.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • metthunder
I got to see his last couple of years, great hitter
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • krlnd

Incredible and ironic stats for Stan the Man who was truly an icon (from the AP article):

"In all, Musial held 55 records when he retired in 1963. Fittingly, the accolades on his bronze Hall plaque start off with this fact, rather than flowery prose: ''Holds many National League records ...''

He played nearly until his 43rd birthday, adding to his totals. He got a hit with his final swing, sending an RBI single past Cincinnati's rookie second baseman - that was Pete Rose, who would break Musial's league hit record of 3,630 some 18 years later.

Of those hits, Musial got exactly 1,815 at home and exactly 1,815 on the road. He also finished with 1,951 RBIs and scored 1,949 runs."

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • AdrianMonk

Musial
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • metthunder
not sure if you meant to direct this at me, but I did see him play his last couple years
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • krlnd

My post was directed to everybody; I just replied to the most recent post which was yours.

Speaking of which, that's cool you had an opportunity to watch one of the all-time greats play ball. From all accounts, it seems like Musial was an even better person than a ballplayer (which says a lot considering he held 55 records when he retired.)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • spydermet

"He played nearly until his 43rd birthday, adding to his totals."

That can't be true. Haven't we decided that the career goes downhill quickly after 30?
Lol!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • sparky134
also he got the nickname "the man" from the Brooklyn Dodger fans at Ebbetts field..he had crazy numbers there..he was a national treasure
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • abbymart

even with all the accolades he STILL was underrated

Take a look at his 1948 season. He led the league in virtually EVERY offensive stat

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/musiast01.shtml

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • krlnd
.702 slugging %, 1.152 OPS, and in almost 700 plate appearances, he had 34 Ks - absolutely unbelievable!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • fargol

His carrer K's (or lack thereof) are the most amazing thing. For a guy who had power, and lots of it, striking out so infrequently is to me the most impressive thing.

RIP

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • spydermet

A friend of mine who is a baseball expert just told me something interesting. Stan played 22 years and was in 24 All-Star games.
See 1959-1962 :

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=119602#gameType='R'&sectionType=career&statType=1&season=2012&level='ALL'

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • Moses0507
There used to be 2-all star games in a season.
  • Reply to this Message