• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Racially Offensive
  • To:All
  • 1/19/13
  • metman79

I have noticed that there is a movement to make all sports teams have politically correct names. Names like Redmen and Redskins are not politically correct. So while I was reading an article about this I thought maybe we should go a step farther

Braves-offensive
Yankees-offensive as well

What do you think?

lol

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • DFAB
The whole political correctness garbage is just that...GARBAGE. I understand not using the word r.etard, or something of that nature...but some of it is just getting ridiculous. No matter what is done SOMEONE will ALWAYS get offended...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • jsmet
They are the same people who are against Christmas trees Christmas and Jesus Christ. They can go f--k themselves.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • ExileMetsFan

No one is against Christmas trees. What people are against is having the government promote a religion. "Holiday" tree allows the tree to go up w/o violating the Constitution.

You can put a "Christmas tree" up all on you, on private property.

The dumbest part about you getting offended is that the origins of the tree are PAGAN, and NOT Christian at all. The Bible even says NOT to decorate the tree as the pagans do. (Jeremiah 10:1-25)

Try reading your bible....

(PS - there are Christian sects that do NOT put up a tree for EXACTLY this reason.)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • marvelousmarvin
What is racially offensive about Yankee?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Thanks for the Jeremiah quote. I agree with your sentiments. I think the context Jeremiah spoke out against was that the Hebrews not behave like the polytheistic or pagan neighbors. That they were to be different. Christians are not Hebrews, or Je ws, therefore the prohibition really does not apply to Christians, even if it is in the Bible, called by them as the Old Testament.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • eastvisitr
Native Americans have had it pretty rough. I think the deliberate extermination of their people by our government makes a few sports epithets pretty trivial at the end of the day though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • CAPT_ALLCAPS
Apparently, those darn minorities don't know what is offensive to them. What they need is some good old white folk to decide for them.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • hammr1952
+1 aint that the truth.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547676.10 was deleted
  • 1/19/13
  • spydermet
Yankee was an insult to the colonists by the British. All colonists were Yankees.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • metman79
I think we just need to take the word out of our vocab...the Y word should be as offensive as the N word
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • ExileMetsFan

"Christians are not Hebrews, or Je ws, therefore the prohibition really does not apply to Christians"

Actually, it does. Look at Matt 5:18

The big problem with the "that's the OT, it doesn't apply" argument is that is where the 10 Commandments are (Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • thebobymon

Polyester is a sin.

Jeremiah was a bullfrog 1:23:4

It is amazing how hard stupid people try to be offended, and if they only put those efforts to improving themselves, they wouldn't be as offended because they would be less depressed about who they are.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • metrebel

The whole political correctness garbage is just that...GARBAGE. I understand not using the word r.etard, or something of that nature...but some of it is just getting ridiculous. No matter what is done SOMEONE will ALWAYS get offended...

PC is this country is an epidemic. No matter what you say find enough people and someone will find it offensive.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • AdrianMonk

Redskins, Redmen -offensive

Indians, Braves ... borderline

Seminoles .. okay

Yankees - perfectly okay.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • Danthatman
Come on.Having a Christmas tree in a government facility does not promote religion. Get real.
Are you for the elimination of Christmas as a national holiday? If not, why not?
Oh, the pain.

Edited 1/19/13   by  Danthatman
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Yes, I know what a Yankee is but my question was how it allegedly was racially based. The colonists for the most part were British aka a pasty white race.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • spydermet
Lol. Point taken, but is an offensive name really any worse if it is racial? Insulting any group is equally as bad.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • marvelousmarvin

Well, I don't read Matthew. All the laws in the 5 books of Moses (Torah) were intended to differentiate the Hebrews from their neighbors and hold them to a higher standard. aka chosen.

Nor did I say the OT laws don't apply. They apply to Je ws. Christians are not j ews. The gospel and further writings crafted a new set of thought to follow and rendered the 5 books of Moses an old testament, not a new testament.. However, if a Christian wants to follow all 613 commandments in the Torah, or a select few, more power to him.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Matt Bowman - Binghamton
Latest by comeagain - 8:09 PM
Cubs
Latest by johnyringo - 8:08 PM
Music Thread II
Latest by vbch - 8:01 PM
Will Myers struggling
Latest by AdrianMonk - 8:01 PM
Random Letters Game
Latest by ellenbronx - 8:00 PM