• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• New York Mets 2014 World Series?
  • To:All
  • 1/19/13
  • nym1985

It seems as if the New York Mets are the laughing stock of the MLB. If Wilpon & Alderson changed directions, a couple key moves made to this club could produce a very potent line-up....

Signing Michael Bourn (SPEED), Trading for Giancarlo Stanton (POWER) would automatically make this team a contender. I understand the Stanton trade would totally deplete the farm system, if somehow Sandy could send a package of Syndergaard, Familia, Flores for Stanton, he should do it!
(for all we know those guys are Carlos Gomez, Alex Escobar, Paul Wilson, and Lastings Milledge.)

1) Michael Bourn (CF) 40+ Steals (10 million/season)
2) Ruben Tejada (SS)
3) David Wright (3B)
4) Giancarlo Stanton (RF) 40+ HR (10 million/season)
5) Ike Davis (1B)
6) Travis d'Arnoud (C)
7) Lucas Duda (LF)
8) Daniel Murphy (2B)

VERY Exciting 2014 Opening Day Line Up!! David Wright won't be in his prime forever..

Matt Harvey 18-8 3.24 era
Zach Wheeler 12-6 3.88 era
Jon Neise 16-7 3.65 era
Dillon Gee 12-8 4.04 era
????????? ??-?? ?.?? era

(2014 rotation projections with THAT Line Up)

(It would only cost Wilpon "Johan Santana" Money that would be coming off the books.)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • thagreat1
I like that pitching rotation
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • bbjmparis
How can you "like" that rotation. It has only one healthy proven major league caliber starter, (Niese) and ???? in the 5 spot. The veryday lineup isn't bad...way better than anything we're likely to see, but I don't see this team being much better than .500 with that rotation and our present BP. Of course that's way better than the 95 loss team the Wilpons will give us...so it's a pleasant pipedream.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • pujols2010
Sure, if only staton came that cheap..he would cost much more than that..isn't he only like 21 and cheap until
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • fargol

Yeah, Stanton would gut the farm system.

He's young, only 22, but only one thing bothers me, and only a little.

His clutch stats are not too good. He hits way better when the score differential is > 4 runs and only .255 with RISP. He also strikes out a ton.

BUT again he's young and there's no denying the power. I'd take him any day of the week but NOT for Wheeler. I *might* to Harvey plus another low level or two, but I seriously doubt they'd go for it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • nym1985
Pitching Rotation is nice, and the Line Up would be among the top in the National League. The team defense would be much improved with Michael Bourn in CF. It's amazing how two additions could transform a team into a playoff contender. I am so frustrated with these minor league contracts.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • nym1985
think about the progress that these pitchers would make by 2014 (Harvey,Wheeler). Another year of seasoning and they won't be rookies anymore. When I used question marks for the #5 starter I did not mean that you can plug my grandfather in there and we would be fine, any Shawn Marcum type of pitcher would do.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • nym1985

"He's young, only 22, but only one thing bothers me, and only a little.

His clutch stats are not too good. He hits way better when the score differential is > 4 runs and only .255 with RISP. He also strikes out a ton."

Stanton is still very young, and being shopped around right now. He plays in one of the largest and pitcher friendly fields in the MLB. It would only help his numbers batting between Wright and Davis. He would be a superstar here.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • thagreat1
I have faith Harvey Wheeler will definitely pan out. The projected eras the original poster put are very modest and feasible. By 2015 you can add syndergaard to that rotation and then we'll really be rolling
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
All I have to do is laugh at this ridiculous post.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547664.11 was deleted
  • 1/19/13
  • nym698641
You want a 22 year old slugger like Stanton without giving up Wheeler or Harvey?
You think that's is possible?
I doubt they could get Stanton for those two guys straight up without throwing in a Flores or Nimmo and you want to get him without either one? Good Luck with that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • skorpio520
what makes you think wed still have harvey and wheeler in a trade for stanton.or d'arnaud either for that matter?
unless you think the marlins are just gonna give us stanton as a favor.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • metthunder
I'll just take the playoffs, thx .... and you still have Duda?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547664.15 was deleted
  • 1/19/13
  • bbjmparis
Of course we're not signing him. That would be a signal that we're trying to win. We're not.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • Kranesback
Stanton = Wheeler, Syndergaard, Darnaud, and Flores. As far as the Mets in the World Series, other than a bunch of them watching it together at some bar, not gonna happen.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • AdrianMonk

Neither Bourne nor Stanton are going to happen. We'll be staying the course.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • bucknerismyhero
The Mets are not going to give up the #11 pick in the draft to a division rival for Bourn, nor are they going to pay what it will take to get him on a non-contender. As for Stanton, we all need to stop with this pipe dream. Stanton isn't going to be traded this offseason, the Marlins have absolutely no reason to do it; and unless Texas comes calling with Olt, Profar, Perez, and Feliz, Stanton isn't going anywhere. The Marlins will not trade their young stud to an opponent in the same division, just to watch him kill them over the next decade. If we ever get Stanton, which we won't, he will already be 38 with two bad knees. The reality of the situation is that we need to continue to restock the farm, have all of our bad contracts expire, and pray that all of the top kids we have already pan out. Without all of that we will not even sniff the second wildcard for a long while. The rest of this division is so much better than us, Marlins notwithstanding, and they all are built around young talent.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • gomets66

The Mets are not going to give up the #11 pick in the draft to a division rival for Bourn>>>>

the braves wouldnt get the 11th pick. teams no longer get another teams pick. they only get a comp pick. the mets 11th pick would be taken off board and all other picks moved up a slot.

• Reply to this Message